ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cox vs CenturyLink

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
OK, I had posted last week that I was considering switching and got a lot of responses.

Well, the installer came today and he said my house already had fiber all the way up to the house (normally a 4-hour install was 45 min but that was only because I wanted a new jack for it to come in through) so I think I got lucky there. I thought that might be the case since the previous guy that lived here had CenturyLink.

Everything is setup and running, the very first thing you do is a speed test.

First up, Cox (50Mbps Preferred internet, $77.99):
6elly8.png

CenturyLink (40Mbps Internet only broadband, $29.95):
1640ol.png

Not as fast, but definitely getting the 40+ I was promised. I know it helps if you're getting CenturyLink Fiber vs over the copper, the installer confirmed that it's much better that way.

Installer was very friendly, did a good job (port on the wall looks better than Cox's) and made sure everything worked before he left.

It seems as fast. If the connection stays around 40Mbps I'm guessing I won't see much of a difference. We have all our kids this weekend though and we'll have several streams of live TV going on so I'll have a really good test. Next week or two I'll post my final evaluation here.

(Hope I don't ever need to call customer service LOL).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News