ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Caribbean vacation

Cozumel a dump? Who are you, Jeff Bezos?
I loved Cozumel, west side of the island, stayed at the Intercontinental Presidente, beautiful place. Water was perfectly warm, clear, lots of great snorkeling.
Also had a good time in Costa Rica a couple years back, half the trip in the Arenal volcano area the other half in Manuel Antonio area by the beach. Costa Rican ocean water is a great temperature but not super blue and clear like you might find in some other places.
Good time though.

My next trip personally, I’d like to get back to Hawaii and do a night dive with the Manta Rays.

Good luck OP, I am sure you’ll pick a good spot.
This guy is out of his mind. Costa Rica is outstanding. One of the best places weve ever been. Cozumel has outstanding snorkeling, great beaches, and Mayan ruins aren't far away. Belize and Roatan have the best snorkeling reefs in the Americas. And rain forests in Central America are full of wildlife and adventure.
All our Eastern Caribbean cruise made us do is realize the Western Caribbean is so much better.

This guy is out of his mind. Costa Rica is outstanding. One of the best places weve ever been. Cozumel has outstanding snorkeling, great beaches, and Mayan ruins aren't far away. Belize and Roatan have the best snorkeling reefs in the Americas. And rain forests in Central America are full of wildlife and adventure.
All our Eastern Caribbean cruise made us do is realize the Western Caribbean is so much better.
d752ec01-1745-4072-99a6-9883bc153034_text.gif

Just stay away from Nassau. It's the Bahaman word for 'dump full of thieves'.

Just about every cruise line drops you off there.
Was just there two weeks ago on a cruise stop, was not impressed!

We've had good experiences in Mexico (Puerto Villarto, Riviera Maya and Cancun- PV was my favorite location). Also been to Jamaica, Cayman Islands and the Bahamas with Jamaica being my fave of the three.

My advice- worry more about the hotel or all inclusive instead of the location. That makes a world of difference!

We love Pueblo Bonita Sunset Beach in Cabo, but this September we went to Akumal Bay Beach and Wellness resort. Had a great time. Son and daughter-in-law invited us to go with them. Their second time our first. Good food, great beach, snorkeling right there with the turtles. Glass is always full.

Belize is interesting. Barely 2 1/2 hour flight from Houston. Gorgeous jungles, rivers and waterfalls, and incredible reef islands up and down the coast many miles out at sea. Other areas are also quite scrubby, not unlike western KS/eastern CO - at least during the dry season. Much more third-world than I had expected for a place that was still English territory not so long ago, but also areas that are better. We have not done the Cayes north of Belize City, but go south to Hopkins and Placencia. Some places are very nice and some not so. If you like doing the native thing, there are great roadside mom and pop places to eat where your food is literally made in their home kitchen. Our eating experiences rarely disappoint. Residents are generally fluent in English and most of all everywhere we have been the people are just plain nice. We have driven to many areas and never felt unsafe (although they do say stay away from southern Belize City and of course there is some property crime as there is everywhere). Also, pretty inexpensive, and their dollar is tied to the U.S. Dollar -always 2 BZ to 1 U.S dollar, so easy to figure exchange. But, the one thing no one warned us about that you should be aware of is that the Sargassum washes up on the beaches beginning in April/May through the summer. You have to get a hundred or so yards from shore or out to the islands to get the clear blue green Carribean Sea colors. Some beachside restaurants and bars (many of which extend over or within yards of the sea) can be hard to enjoy with the smell of the rotting Sargassum - at least in the areas we have been (South). Again, haven't done the Cayes north of Belize City, so don't know about those.

Been to Aruba but rented a house along the beach. It was a good time even if windy the entire time.

Playa Del Carmen had a lot of rocks in the ocean we stayed at. Can’t remember the resort name. Wasn’t fun getting into the water.

Valentin Imperial in Riviera Maya spoiled us for life. Top notch resort and no rocks in the water.

Wife and I are heading to Jamaica December 11th for our first trip there. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: drubendall
Belize is interesting. Barely 2 1/2 hour flight from Houston. Gorgeous jungles, rivers and waterfalls, and incredible reef islands up and down the coast many miles out at sea. Other areas are also quite scrubby, not unlike western KS/eastern CO - at least during the dry season. Much more third-world than I had expected for a place that was still English territory not so long ago, but also areas that are better. We have not done the Cayes north of Belize City, but go south to Hopkins and Placencia. Some places are very nice and some not so. If you like doing the native thing, there are great roadside mom and pop places to eat where your food is literally made in their home kitchen. Our eating experiences rarely disappoint. Residents are generally fluent in English and most of all everywhere we have been the people are just plain nice. We have driven to many areas and never felt unsafe (although they do say stay away from southern Belize City and of course there is some property crime as there is everywhere). Also, pretty inexpensive, and their dollar is tied to the U.S. Dollar -always 2 BZ to 1 U.S dollar, so easy to figure exchange. But, the one thing no one warned us about that you should be aware of is that the Sargassum washes up on the beaches beginning in April/May through the summer. You have to get a hundred or so yards from shore or out to the islands to get the clear blue green Carribean Sea colors. Some beachside restaurants and bars (many of which extend over or within yards of the sea) can be hard to enjoy with the smell of the rotting Sargassum - at least in the areas we have been (South). Again, haven't done the Cayes north of Belize City, so don't know about those.
I've been a lot of places but the absolute coolest, most unforgettable tour you can do is the Actun Tunichil Muknal cave exploration near San Ignacio. I did that with a group of backpackers in my 20s. I also had a great time on Caye Culker. It felt like being cutoff from the world with a reef to xplore by day and bars to enjoy at night.

I didn’t diss Costa Rica. Tom and Gizelle had a place there. The security rating downgrade of Costa Rica is a recent development.

And I’ve snorkeled in Cozumel. It wasn’t all that great. It’s not where my friends who do a lot of snorkeling or diving go.

Last edited:
Have a friend whose surgeon brother died in a small plane crash in Belize. It took him a several weeks and thousands in bribes to get his brother’s body back so they could bury him. Just sayin when you travel to these banana republic states you’re not in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

There are Two ways to do a Caribbean trip:

1: all inclusive. Designed for people who don’t want to leave the resort. Food is (usually, not always) subpar. Drinks aren’t the best. Not usually very upscale. Tends to lead to more of a drinking/party atmosphere. Fine if that’s what you’re looking for. Not a bad option for islands that don’t have much to offer off resort in terms of safety, food and activities. Great in mexico, bahamas (although there are great non all inclusive mega resorts as well), Jamaica, Puerto Rico, etc.

2: non-all inclusive. Pick a more upscale resort with one or two restaurants. Go there for breakfast/lunch and maybe a dinner. Then find local restaurants to go to for dinner. Hangout at the beach all day, then go relax in the room, grab a cab and go to dinner. Obviously pick an island where can leave the resort and be safe. I find these trips much more fun, but they are pricier and require more research up front on where to go and getting reservations. Great for grand cayman, Turks, Aruba, Bermuda, Barbados, st barts, etc.

Each to their own. Both can be great but are a different experience and which one is best is often island dependent.

There are Two ways to do a Caribbean trip:

1: all inclusive. Designed for people who don’t want to leave the resort. Food is (usually, not always) subpar. Drinks aren’t the best. Not usually very upscale. Tends to lead to more of a drinking/party atmosphere. Fine if that’s what you’re looking for. Not a bad option for islands that don’t have much to offer off resort in terms of safety, food and activities. Great in mexico, bahamas (although there are great non all inclusive mega resorts as well), Jamaica, Puerto Rico, etc.

2: non-all inclusive. Pick a more upscale resort with one or two restaurants. Go there for breakfast/lunch and maybe a dinner. Then find local restaurants to go to for dinner. Hangout at the beach all day, then go relax in the room, grab a cab and go to dinner. Obviously pick an island where can leave the resort and be safe. I find these trips much more fun, but they are pricier and require more research up front on where to go and getting reservations. Great for grand cayman, Turks, Aruba, Bermuda, Barbados, st barts, etc.

Each to their own. Both can be great but are a different experience and which one is best is often island dependent.
We usually do all inclusive. Some of the best food I've ever had at these 4- and 5-star resorts. 5 to 7 course meals at fancy restaurants that my Nebraska ass has never experienced before. French, Italian, local flavor, etc

Last edited:
We have been to St Croix a few times and really enjoy it. It is not a touristy as the rest of the USVI, the Buccaneer is great but crazy expensive. Aruba is first class and if your looking for an all inclusive there is a Riu Grand. We stayed at the Raddison (twice) and it was fine, Playa Del Carman was a lot of fun but my wife doesn't like all the craziness in Mexico and didn't feel safe there. We rented a condo in Grand Cayman and it was very nice, but Grand Cayman is crazy expensive. If you have kids Atlantis in the Bahamas was good, but the rest of the area is a dump. If you want off the beaten path Granada is very nice and beautiful. It's been years since we were there so can't recommend a resort.

We have been to St Croix a few times and really enjoy it. It is not a touristy as the rest of the USVI, the Buccaneer is great but crazy expensive. Aruba is first class and if your looking for an all inclusive there is a Riu Grand. We stayed at the Raddison (twice) and it was fine, Playa Del Carman was a lot of fun but my wife doesn't like all the craziness in Mexico and didn't feel safe there. We rented a condo in Grand Cayman and it was very nice, but Grand Cayman is crazy expensive. If you have kids Atlantis in the Bahamas was good, but the rest of the area is a dump. If you want off the beaten path Granada is very nice and beautiful. It's been years since we were there so can't recommend a resort.
Always do the adults only resorts. Not spending that kind of money to have a bunch of screaming kids running around when I'm drunk and or high.😌

We usually do all inclusive. Some of the best food I've ever had at these 4 and 5 star resorts. 5 to 7 course meals at fancy restaurants my Nebraska ass has never experienced before. French, Italian, local flavor, etc
Agreed. My last all inclusive was in Rivera maya. They had 5 restaurants on site that you had to make a reservation for (French, Italian, seafood, and Mexican restaurants). Very fine food.. beef tartare, bone marrow, lobster etc… all included as part resort stay

Reactions: HBK4life
Agreed. My last all inclusive was in Rivera maya. They had 5 restaurants on site that you had to make a reservation for (French, Italian, seafood, and Mexican restaurants). Very fine food.. beef tartare, bone marrow, lobster etc… all included as part resort stay
I never understood a 7 course meal until I saw each portion is one bite of food. My country ass is used to chicken fried steak that covers the plate. I have to remember to drink with my pinky out at those restaurants so I fit in with the yuppie assholes. Lol

Beaches are boring if you are a grown up. Go to Italy, see some real history and culture. Or just go to Cinque Terre or the Amalfi Coast. Best of both worlds.

Beaches are boring if you are a grown up. Go to Italy, see some real history and culture. Or just go to Cinque Terre or the Amalfi Coast. Best of both worlds.
Most of the time, I’m taking a trip to get away and all I want is boring. Quiet beach, a book, and a cocktail for a week is much needed about once a year for a healthy reset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT