ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best small town eats in the state

sloth316

Senior
Jun 24, 2002
So I’m sure there have been threads on this before but I’m too slothy to go back and look them up. My family and I stopped in Goehner this weekend and ate at Chez Bubba Cafe...absolutely must have bbq and a fun little side jaunt ride off i80...it got me thinking, who has recommendations on some of the best off the beaten path eateries in the state. As good as Stella’s is, I’m convinced there’s a better burger somewhere in a little town tavern with a population of less than 500 that accepts cash only...Fire away with your favs

Reactions: sparky62
Haven't been there in a long time but Bob's Bar in Martinsburg was pretty damn good back in the day. It's bar food but 1lb burgers. Plate of fries. Plate of fried mushrooms. Followed by a nap.
Bob’s is on my Nebraska restaurant bucket list, for sure

Reactions: SC_'sker
Bob's is the best. Great place and truly a hole in the wall place! Does not look like anything but a tiny town bar that needs to be bull dozed! But it is the best!!!!

Reactions: sloth316
Real small town... outside Harrisburg in Banner County: Laura Lee's Double L Country Store. Delicious locally sourced food. Great people too.

Haven't been there in a long time but Bob's Bar in Martinsburg was pretty damn good back in the day. It's bar food but 1lb burgers. Plate of fries. Plate of fried mushrooms. Followed by a nap.

Couldn't have said it better myself...but I would have included that big plate of gizzards as well.

C'mon, one pound burgers??? Who can eat that? I love me beef, but even when I was a youngster that was too much. How big are you?

C'mon, one pound burgers??? Who can eat that? I love me beef, but even when I was a youngster that was too much. How big are you?

Only size they have. They’re like $5 (or they were). The size of the sides is far more absurd. Dinner plate mounded in crinkle cuts is one order of fries. No one said you have to eat the whole thing.

6’ 205-210 depending on the day.

If you’re looking for value, Cedar Creek Inn is awesome. You can have beers, a burger and fries and pay next to nothing. That place is awesome.

Couldn't have said it better myself...but I would have included that big plate of gizzards as well.

Or onion chips.

Back in the day, a person could get a burger (the size of a dinner plate), a side order of fries/mushrooms/onion chips (the size of a dinner plate), and a beer - for about $5.

Is Merle's still in Emerald? That place had pretty good food back in the day, and if you worked in downtown Lincoln you could run out there for lunch.

For burgers my favorite small town haunt is Ozzie's in Sutherland, there's a bar in Giltner with really good pizza and the New Frontier Saloon in Belgrade has an excellent Sunday buffet with fried chicken and roast beef.

Tub's Pub in Sumner, NE.
Pine Street Pub & Pizza in Clarkson, NE was solid.
The Speakeasy. Their address lists Holdrege, NE but it's actually 6 miles from Holdrege in the middle of the country.

Tub's Pub in Sumner, NE.
The Speakeasy. Their address lists Holdrege, NE but it's actually 6 miles from Holdrege in the middle of the country.

Tub's Pub is pretty darn good. I like Tep's in Lexington as well.

Reactions: HuskerO
Tub's Pub in Sumner, NE.

Not very many of those middle of the country eating places around anymore. When I was young, there were a few not far from us and they were the best places to eat.

Reactions: HuskerO
Former Hastings Nebraska boy from decades ago.

I loved the Barrel Bar and Kitty’s Roadhouse

Nothing beats a stormer when you’re hung over. - half bun and 1/3 char burger covered in Chile and onions

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Hey boxes I bought porterhouse steaks at Bruning grocery store awhile back they were awesome, those bad boys had to be almost two pounds good thing I had a small baked potato or else I couldn’t have eaten it all. Yeah I know probably a heart attack or stroke just around the corner but it was still dam good

Reactions: bigboxes
So I’m sure there have been threads on this before but I’m too slothy to go back and look them up. My family and I stopped in Goehner this weekend and ate at Chez Bubba Cafe...absolutely must have bbq and a fun little side jaunt ride off i80...it got me thinking, who has recommendations on some of the best off the beaten path eateries in the state. As good as Stella’s is, I’m convinced there’s a better burger somewhere in a little town tavern with a population of less than 500 that accepts cash only...Fire away with your favs
Nowhere Special Steakhouse and Saloon in Linwood Nebraska is really freaking good!

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
Hey boxes I bought porterhouse steaks at Bruning grocery store awhile back they were awesome, those bad boys had to be almost two pounds good thing I had a small baked potato or else I couldn’t have eaten it all. Yeah I know probably a heart attack or stroke just around the corner but it was still dam good

The Phillipe boys who run the grocery store in Bruning are doing it right!

And I agree with you on Toad's in Belvidere! Used to be a scary place...... now everyone in the county heads there for good food in a good atmosphere!

Reactions: natesonnen
Ponderosa Bar north of Waterloo/Elkhorn. Wife and I went there and had a blast. It helps there was a bunch of people there celebrating a birthday. Hole in the wall, food was decent enough. Not too far out from Omaha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT