ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best American Author

I love Jack London AND Stephen King. London was not the most stand up dude, but I still love his books. Helped shape my love for the mountains and outdoors. Ive only read NOS4A2 by Joe Hill so far but it was stellar. I've read a little Hemmingway and it was fine. I think a list like this needs to include Lovecraft and Herman Melville as well (even though Moby Dick is boring as hell, but the way he went about getting the story is a great story in itself).

Michael Crichton blew my mind when I was in HS and Jurassic Park came out, more recently I have really enjoyed Andy Weir's books like the Martian, Artemis and Hail Mary Project.
Horns & heart shaped box are also great reads by Joe Hill.

Reactions: nostromo78
No love for Mari Sandoz or Willa Cather in this thread?
After reading numerous Sandoz and Cather books in school it took me years before I could pick up one of their books, especially "Old Jules". I'm guessing I'm not alone in that.

Fortunately I re-discovered these authors when I left Nebraska. Both are wonderful. I'm currently reading "Cheyenne Autumn" by Sandoz.

After reading numerous Sandoz and Cather books in school it took me years before I could pick up one of their books, especially "Old Jules". I'm guessing I'm not alone in that.

Fortunately I re-discovered these authors when I left Nebraska. Both are wonderful. I'm currently reading "Cheyenne Autumn" by Sandoz.
"Cheyenne Autumn" is one of her best and it's heart-breaking. If you get a chance to visit Fort Robinson State Park near Chadron, you should -- the history there is palpable and alive, as are the Northern Cheyenne spirits.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Still believe it is Steinbeck.
Loved reading all the responses.

Melville may have written the best novel, but Steinbeck told stories for everyone.
I was never a big fan of Steinbeck. "Cannery Row", "Of Mice and Men" - required high school reading which may explain my displeasure. (Don't get me started on Faulkner's "Unvanquished".) However "Grapes of Wrath" was amazing.

I was never a big fan of Steinbeck. "Cannery Row", "Of Mice and Men" - required high school reading which may explain my displeasure. (Don't get me started on Faulkner's "Unvanquished".) However "Grapes of Wrath" was amazing.
“Grapes of Wrath”, may well be the story of America.
Here we are again on a Birthday, but it seems as the best of America is like, “Moses”, refusing to cross the river.

I love to read, more than even Alaska, or Nebraska Football.

Reactions: 9and4
“Grapes of Wrath”, may well be the story of America.
Here we are again on a Birthday, but it seems as the best of America is like, “Moses”, refusing to cross the river.

I love to read, more than even Alaska, or Nebraska Football.
Maybe a "What are you reading?" thread?

FWIW, "The Dawn of Everything" by Graeber and Wengrow. I'm a few years behind.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
best Stephen King???
11-22-1963….. and it’s not even close

I started mourning that book being over 150 pages from the end….😜

• Love
Jack Carr - Navy seal. Writes the Terminal List series.

Mark Greaney - writes the Gray Man series which are a lot of fun.

When I was young in the 90s RL Stine was very hot.

Honestly, the best books I've read are from Orson Scott Card - Enders Game series

The man in the white suit...Tom Wolfe. The man completely understood America. Anyone old enough to remember the cold war hysteria of the sixties, and the space race to the moon will recognize the fact that Wolfe nailed it in The Right Stuff. Bonfire of the Vanities as well...don't bother with the movie. The Electric Cool Aid Acid Test. Martinis with Wolfe would have been fantastic.
Getting loaded with Hemingway would have been a blast...when he was in his twenties and thirties. Like Fitzgerald, he later became a bore. I always thought Hemingway's real life was far bigger than any of his fiction.
James Michener - Centennial; Tales of the South Pacific; Hawaii.
Robert Penn Warren - I believe he the only individual to win Pulitzers in both fiction and poetry. All the Kings men says it all.

Far from the best, but I’ll throw a mention to Jon Krakauer as a pretty uniquely American writer/adventurer

Suspect many here share at least a few of his interests

Far from the best, but I’ll throw a mention to Jon Krakauer as a pretty uniquely American writer/adventurer

Suspect many here share at least a few of his interests
Saw him talk and present slides of the disastrous Everest expedition that took place in the 90's. Led to his book, Into Thin Air.

Reactions: king_kong_
Not the best, but two of my favorites. Clive Cussler (Sahara and Raise the Titanic). He weaves together several stories that come together in the end. Karin Slaughter, crime novels. Every character is flawed, the bad guys are disgusting and after reading one of her books I feel like taking a shower.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT