ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Auto service question

sloth316

Senior
Jun 24, 2002
The last two times I’ve taken my pickup in, I’ve been told my lugnuts are no good on the wheels and they recommend putting new ones on...I had it done the last time at a different dealer...when I took it into another “chain” shop, they tried giving me the same song and dance...is this a new tactic? To ad insult to injury, I had my tires bought/put on at this place this past fall and there were no lugnut issues then...they sell you this, “well I don’t know how safe it’ll be if we put the old lugnuts on” bs

Do you have aftermarket wheels?
Sometimes you do have to get different lug nuts with different wheels. But never heard of factory lug nuts just wearing out, but never owned a vehicle over 15 years either.

Do you have a torque wrench? Could check periodically to see if they're coming loose?

The last two times I’ve taken my pickup in, I’ve been told my lugnuts are no good on the wheels and they recommend putting new ones on...I had it done the last time at a different dealer...when I took it into another “chain” shop, they tried giving me the same song and dance...is this a new tactic? To ad insult to injury, I had my tires bought/put on at this place this past fall and there were no lugnut issues then...they sell you this, “well I don’t know how safe it’ll be if we put the old lugnuts on” bs

Have never heard of this regarding lug nuts, but I always get my fitzer valve replaced (on the advice of my mechanic). Only costs about $25 each time, but well worth it!

Ask them why specifically and come back and post the reason...If two shops are telling you this, there is something to it. Most mechanics left now a days are pretty good business people, you have to be to make it these days, no freaking way two different shops are trying to screw you out of a few dollars for lug nuts and risk blowing their reputation. But seriously, as them why, come back and tell us. I'm betting they are being truthful.

Lug nuts? Never heard of those going bad, maybe unless you tightened them down tighter than a gnats ass. They didn’t mean the wheel studs, what you screw the lug nuts on, did they? I’d be more worried about those going bad than the nuts.

Why don’t you inspect for yourself?

Some, if not most tire shops, can be held liable for damage/incidents when safety comes into play. They usually inspect and let you know if something must be replaced, otherwise they won’t do any work. Had a nail in a tire that they wouldnt patch because the tread was low and the sidewall had cracking.

Agree with the post above about aftermarket wheels. They may not have, for simplicity, a different surface than your OEM. For instance a smooth surface vs having a recessed surface.

That would be the only reason for need of replacement. Now if they've come loose at some point in time, usually it's the rim and studs that need to be replaced or Run a thread chaser. But it's almost criminal in my mind for a mechanic to just recommend changing lug nuts. Unless someone used the wrong socket and rounded the corners

I was in abind once and jiffy lube recommend that my automatic transmission fluid on my 95 suburban needed to be changed and flushed. HUGE mistake. Dripped ever since until I had it worked on after driving the cinnamon pass and other mountain passes in Colorado on family vacation.

How old is the vehicle and how many miles? The wheel, studs and lug nuts work as a unit as far as expansion and contraction for heat and cold. That is, when the wheel and studs get bigger when they get hot, they push harder on the lugs, which also get bigger because they are hot. When they cool, everything contracts the same way and the lugs stay tight. If the studs lose their temper over time and maybe a traumatic heat event like braking seven miles down a steep mountain road, they can become less elastic. Meaning they expand when they are hot, but don't contract so much when cool, so the lugs work loose. I've never seen it happen, but in the Marine Corps motor pool 2 1/2 and 5 ton truck preventative maintenance called for the studs to be changed after a lot of miles for that reason. I have seen the studs that hold a Harley cylinder and head to the case lose their elasticity and the bike will continually blow head gaskets until the studs are replaced.

Maybe they detected the lugs are loose when you bring it in. The first time they tried to correct with new lugs, but if they are still coming loose you may need new studs. Since it was a different shop, maybe they were unaware the first shop tried to correct with new lugs.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Are you sure they didn't say wheel studs? Those are the things that you put the lug nuts on to. Tire shops (and mechanics if they need access) use an impact wrench to quickly take off and put on the lug nuts. They care little if they strip the threads on the wheel studs when they over tighten them. When you try to get the lug nuts off the next time it's very easy to shear off the wheel studs, requiring you to replace them.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Are you sure they didn't say wheel studs? Those are the things that you put the lug nuts on to. Tire shops (and mechanics if they need access) use an impact wrench to quickly take off and put on the lug nuts. They care little if they strip the threads on the wheel studs when they over tighten them. When you try to get the lug nuts off the next time it's very easy to shear off the wheel studs, requiring you to replace them.
That sounds a little more accurate and your description more accurately describes the issue

In my lifetime I have owned TRUCKS, large SUVs, large medium and small cars with steel and alloy wheels. Never has it been suggested that I get new lug nuts. My advice, buy a good torque wrench, learn how to use it and consult your owners manual for the proper torque. You will probably find out they were installed too tight.

Reactions: huskerfan66

This. The other thing that can happen is if you don't tighten the nuts enough and there is enough play to deform the studs while you drive. I actually just replaced my own studs and it's not only very cheap, but easy to do yourself provided the brakes don't get in the way.

Do you drive a Dodge or a Ford. Swollen clad lug nuts are not a new problem. Most of the time the chrome is just a liner over the actual steal lug nut and rust forms between the two causing them to swell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT