ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Another lawn care thread

SkerInCo

Graduate Assistant
Apr 26, 2004
So I have healthy green lawn but it's riddled with lumps from what I'm certain are night crawlers. I know and understand the benefits of having worms in your soil but these lumps are brutal. Anyone ever have a similar issue? I've read that it's possible the root system of the grass doesn't run deep enough to keep the worms lower in the soil. Are there pesticides that would kill the worms? I'll hang up and listen. Thanks!

So I have healthy green lawn but it's riddled with lumps from what I'm certain are night crawlers. I know and understand the benefits of having worms in your soil but these lumps are brutal. Anyone ever have a similar issue? I've read that it's possible the root system of the grass doesn't run deep enough to keep the worms lower in the soil. Are there pesticides that would kill the worms? I'll hang up and listen. Thanks!
Watering less will promote a deeper root system...and save money. I've always seen a correlation with lumpy lawns and too much moisture.

Reactions: blackbones
Buy a green rolling machine. Bye bye lumps and as a bonus your lawn runs a 12 on the stimp meter.

Get one of those turf rollers that you fill with water and go across your yard, then aerate. Worked every time for me.

Does it look like this:

1dce902b3689046b5a9e9d371c84ce2c.jpg
:D

Are you able to be more specific about these "lumps"? There are a couple of products that you are able to spray for earthworms, but I do not think they are labeled for earthworms. I have had luck spraying yucca extract and watering it in. They make a product called Early Bird which is a granule and you can apply it with a fertilizer spreader and water it in, but it is not very cheap. Early Bird is not cost effective in my opinion. Most texts will say deep and infrequent is the best way to water, but I think that may change. Light and frequent watering can achieve deep dense roots as well.

If your grass is lumpy, I would recommend aerifying it. I don't know what kind of grass you have, but I would recommend "power raking" too. Verticutting (power raking) is actually better at removing organic matter and thatch than aerification. Aerification is more beneficial at adding oxygen into the rootzone.

Are you able to be more specific about these "lumps"? There are a couple of products that you are able to spray for earthworms, but I do not think they are labeled for earthworms. I have had luck spraying yucca extract and watering it in. They make a product called Early Bird which is a granule and you can apply it with a fertilizer spreader and water it in, but it is not very cheap. Early Bird is not cost effective in my opinion. Most texts will say deep and infrequent is the best way to water, but I think that may change. Light and frequent watering can achieve deep dense roots as well.

If your grass is lumpy, I would recommend aerifying it. I don't know what kind of grass you have, but I would recommend "power raking" too. Verticutting (power raking) is actually better at removing organic matter and thatch than aerification. Aerification is more beneficial at adding oxygen into the rootzone.
They're basically little casting mounds a little larger in diameter than a silver dollar. Not overly visible but annoying to walk in and is testing the lack of suspension on my mower lol. The size of the holes in them would indicate earthworms but I could be wrong. I probably do need a power rake. Based on what you and others have mentioned Ill aerate and try to roll them down. Hopefully a lighter frequent water will extend the root system and keep the worms lower in the soil.

Last edited:
What species of grass do you have? Depending on where you live and what species of grass you have will determine what cultural practices are really necessary. Do you have underground sprinklers? If you have underground sprinklers, you could water certain stations only when they are showing signs of wilt and once they all start showing signs of wilt begin the light and frequent or deep and infrequent watering. The University of Nebraska has a website turf.unl.edu, and it has calendars and useful information to really simplify things for most homeowners. If you are out of the state, you can look up your local ag college, and they will generally have similar information. It will be more directed at that specific climate and common turfgrass species grown there. I hope everything works out for you.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT