ADVERTISEMENT

OSU McCord

I don't think we promised anything to DR except a chance to compete and win the job. I think Rhule decided it was better to part ways with McCord and make sure we signed DR and DK and start developing them, than have McCord for 1 year.
No. The Raiola’s demanded we not take McCord and we submitted to their demands
Rhule’s plan all along was to have a senior QB for the 2024 season as a bridge for the younger recruits. Rhule’s hand picked starting QB from the portal was to have another year

I don't think we promised anything to DR except a chance to compete and win the job. I think Rhule decided it was better to part ways with McCord and make sure we signed DR and DK and start developing them, than have McCord for 1 year.

Again, who knows. Seems MUCH more likely that flipping DR came with A LOT of strings attached than that he just woke up one day and decided, "you know, despite them having one of the worst offenses in the country and I'm already committed to one of the top programs in the country and my entire family moved to GA to be closer to the the program, and I can probably demand almost whatever I want, wherever I want, I'm actually feeling like Nebraska is the place for me. I'll just go there without any demands and see how it plays out."

Again, who knows. Seems MUCH more likely that flipping DR came with A LOT of strings attached than that he just woke up one day and decided, "you know, despite them having one of the worst offenses in the country and I'm already committed to one of the top programs in the country and my entire family moved to GA to be closer to the the program, and I can probably demand almost whatever I want, wherever I want, I'm actually feeling like Nebraska is the place for me. I'll just go there without any demands and see how it plays out."
I don't think everyone, Rhule, DR, Dominic, all blatantly lied about what happened. There doesn't have to be some crazy story. Could just be a kid who had a change of heart. I personally wonder if moving to Georgia ended up hurting UGA because he had time to realize Georgia isn't Lincoln or NU.

Rhule’s plan all along was to have a senior QB for the 2024 season as a bridge for the younger recruits. Rhule’s hand picked starting QB from the portal was to have another year
I don't believe you. The Raiola's waited until McCord was on campus and then randomly called Rhule and said I had a change of heart but you have to ditch Mccord? No way.

Or … he’s always dreamed of playing in Lincoln but the shit show previous staff made it difficult to take that leap. Now there are adults in charge and he has an opportunity to bring us back to a solid program and believes we have the coach and the culture to do it. Plus - a higher likelihood of starting day 1. I don’t think Rhule made any guarantees of starting. This would be against his philosophy on the whole. Come, compete, win the job and let’s ride!

Or … he’s always dreamed of playing in Lincoln but the shit show previous staff made it difficult to take that leap. Now there are adults in charge and he has an opportunity to bring us back to a solid program and believes we have the coach and the culture to do it. Plus - a higher likelihood of starting day 1. I don’t think Rhule made any guarantees of starting. This would be against his philosophy on the whole. Come, compete, win the job and let’s ride!
This. My kids are growing up out of state but Lincoln and NU sports are a 2nd home to them. The pull of Lincoln and NU is strong with kids like that. DR was one of those kids. Plus, people forget that he developed some pretty good relationships with kids like Coleman and 2024 recruits.

Reactions: BleedRed78
What are you talking about???He guaranteed the starting spot to Simms and went out of his way to make it happen by limiting competition for the spot

What are you talking about???He guaranteed the starting spot to Simms and went out of his way to make it happen by limiting competition for the spot
Rhule recruited Sims. Rhule had given up on DR. I don't think DR was in the position you claim to make a bunch of last minute crazy demands with McCord on campus. What leverage did DR have? We were about to close the deal on a guy who threw for over 3,000 yards in 2023.

Rhule recruited Sims. Rhule had given up on DR. I don't think DR was in the position you claim to make a bunch of last minute crazy demands with McCord on campus. What leverage did DR have? We were about to close the deal on a guy who threw for over 3,000 yards in 2023.
No need to respond to the troll. Clearly just making things up. Could he be telling the truth? Sure… But there is absolutely no chance that he knows the truth. He’s just floating this out there to jerk our chains.

No need to respond to the troll. Clearly just making things up. Could he be telling the truth? Sure… But there is absolutely no chance that he knows the truth. He’s just floating this out there to jerk our chains.
Please

I have no issues with Rhule doing what he needs to do to get his qb, which is guaranteeing them the job.

Wrong guy last year, hopefully right guy this year.

Don’t be naive

Reactions: Landomatic
Please

I have no issues with Rhule doing what he needs to do to get his qb, which is guaranteeing them the job.

Wrong guy last year, hopefully right guy this year.

Don’t be naive
Read my post again. Comprehend it. I said there is no way he knows what happened. Could it have happened that way? Sure. But no way he knows for certain.

For someone who understands the English language so well, how could you possibly misinterpret my post? 0/10 for you.

Read my post again. Comprehend it. I said there is no way he knows what happened. Could it have happened that way? Sure. But no way he knows for certain.

For someone who understands the English language so well, how could you possibly misinterpret my post? 0/10 for you.
If it could be true - I’d argue not only is it true, it’s the only possibility - then why so quick to shut down the convo with “he’s only floating it to jerk our chains”?

If it could be true - I’d argue not only is it true, it’s the only possibility - then why so quick to shut down the convo with “he’s only floating it to jerk our chains”?
Give proof. That’s all I ask. If you can’t, then offer it up as a possible option. You and Dante both are claiming it’s absolutely true. I’ve already admitted it could be true. But unless you were in the room, you’re full of crap and doing a troll job trying to sell it as absolute.

Don’t be that guy. Just want some proof if you’re gonna say it with 100% certainty… is that too much to ask?

Again, say this is possible. Say it’s likely. Fine, I’ll entertain that. Say it’s a fact and it doesn’t merit any further discussion until you provide evidence.

I sincerely doubt Rhule promised him the starting job and I sincerely doubt that DR demanded it. Clock was ticking on signing day and I think DR got cold feet with UGA.

Based on Rhule's, DR's, and Dominic's account, DR asked in. There was no begging by Rhule or demands by DR. DR told Dominic he wanted to be a Husker and Dominic told him he better call Rhule and see if they still had room. Rhule decided to cut ties with McCord to make sure he signed both DR and DK. He has said repeatedly when it comes down to it he wants multi-year players over one year rentals.

How did he “limit competition” for the spot? He likely told Simms he had a great opportunity to win the job. I have no doubt Simms was the most physically gifted of the QB’s so him starting the season wasn’t a surprise. But then he couldn’t get his head space right and his TO’s under control and he was benched.

McCord wanted to be promised the starting job. He left OSU over it, and wasn’t going settle for less at Nebraska. And it’s not an unreasonable request when you’re one of the top experienced P5 QBs that is willing/able to transfer. And we were certainly willing to agree, until DR called.

DR wanted to be promised the opportunity to compete for the starting QB as a true freshman. Not be handed the job, but not forced to redshirt because the starting QB spot is already taken.

You can’t honor both promises honestly. So we had to make a choice. I think we chose correctly.

McCord was all set to commit regardless of how things ended up with DR. It was the Raiola camp that stated they weren’t going to consider NU if we take McCord
There is a lot of twisting of the how things went down with that situation to make the Raiola’s look good
The only camp that was insistent on guarantees from the staff were the Raiola’s
One trick pony.

Wanting a promise to compete for the starting job is not the same as demanding we don’t take McCord. If McCord demanded to start, then we couldn’t promise DR a chance to compete. Pretty twisted logic and anti-Rhule bias to equate that with demanding we pass on McCord. It’s not the same but ends in the same result. I think Rhule made the right decision but it could lead to less wins in 2024. Short term sacrifice for long term gains. And a lot of people here are gonna bitch, moan, complain and call DR a bust when he goes through freshman struggles that will almost certainly happen.

McCord wanted to be promised the starting job. He left OSU over it, and wasn’t going settle for less at Nebraska. And it’s not an unreasonable request when you’re one of the top experienced P5 QBs that is willing/able to transfer. And we were certainly willing to agree, until DR called.

DR wanted to be promised the opportunity to compete for the starting QB as a true freshman. Not be handed the job, but not forced to redshirt because the starting QB spot is already taken.

You can’t honor both promises honestly. So we had to make a choice. I think we chose correctly.
Kong and Dante assured us with absolutely certainty that DR told Rhule that McCord had to hit the bricks.

2 witnesses. What more could we possibly want?

Wanting a promise to compete for the starting job is not the same as demanding we don’t take McCord. If McCord demanded to start, then we couldn’t promise DR a chance to compete. Pretty twisted logic and anti-Rhule bias to equate that with demanding we pass on McCord. It’s not the same but ends in the same result. I think Rhule made the right decision but it could lead to less wins in 2024. Short term sacrifice for long term gains. And a lot of people here are gonna bitch, moan, complain and call DR a bust when he goes through freshman struggles that will almost certainly happen.
I think its pretty simple. If you take McCord and DR and DR beats him out then you just wasted millions in NIL and now have a disgruntled veteran qb. Plus fans clamoring for DR if you have the opposite and McCord won the job.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I sincerely doubt Rhule promised him the starting job and I sincerely doubt that DR demanded it. Clock was ticking on signing day and I think DR got cold feet with UGA.

Based on Rhule's, DR's, and Dominic's account, DR asked in. There was no begging by Rhule or demands by DR. DR told Dominic he wanted to be a Husker and Dominic told him he better call Rhule and see if they still had room. Rhule decided to cut ties with McCord to make sure he signed both DR and DK. He has said repeatedly when it comes down to it he wants multi-year players over one year rentals.
and it just so happen these "cold feet" coincided with their starting announcing his return?

could be quite a coincidence. could be completely unconnected (not likely, but possible).

an interesting discussion, so long as willful ignorance/naiveté aren't steering it.

Kong and Dante assured us with absolutely certainty that DR told Rhule that McCord had to hit the bricks.

2 witnesses. What more could we possibly want?
I didn't say any such thing.

you're better than putting words in others' mouths.

or at least you expect me to be.

Give proof. That’s all I ask. If you can’t, then offer it up as a possible option. You and Dante both are claiming it’s absolutely true. I’ve already admitted it could be true. But unless you were in the room, you’re full of crap and doing a troll job trying to sell it as absolute.

Don’t be that guy. Just want some proof if you’re gonna say it with 100% certainty… is that too much to ask?

Again, say this is possible. Say it’s likely. Fine, I’ll entertain that. Say it’s a fact and it doesn’t merit any further discussion until you provide evidence.
it's a deduction based on evidence.

you're not interested in possibilities if they run counter to your opinion, so you attempt to minimize and dismiss them instead of discussing them.

I did say it's possible (and, based on what we know, extremely likely - the most likely of all possibilities, in fact). how you digest it is colored by your opinion of me and not by the words at face value.

This is correct. Anything else is false and agenda driven.

Serves Ryan Day right for trying to blame the Michigan loss on McCord to save his own skin which caused McCord to look elsewhere. Now, who is he going to blame the loss to Missouri on when the Buckeye fans are furious? And I hope they haven't figured it out yet when they play Nebraska next year.

and it just so happen these "cold feet" coincided with their starting announcing his return?

could be quite a coincidence. could be completely unconnected (not likely, but possible).

an interesting discussion, so long as willful ignorance/naiveté aren't steering it.
I'm sure it played a part. Knowing he would sit for a year at UGA is quite a bit different from saying he demanded to start at NU from game 1.

I'm sure it played a part. Knowing he would sit for a year at UGA is quite a bit different from saying he demanded to start at NU from game 1.
did I say he demanded it?

nope.

I'm of the opinion it was part of the package Rhule & co offered.

and, again, this is not a critique. in fact, it's a move I greatly respect. you do what you have to do to get a player of that caliber.

I didn't say any such thing.

you're better than putting words in others' mouths.

or at least you expect me to be.
Interpret for me…

Kong: “I’d argue not only is it true, it’s the only possibility.”

How am I supposed to interpret this? You argue that I shut down conversation by calling the other guy a troll.

Isn’t saying this is the ONLY possibility shutting down conversation?

you're not interested in possibilities if they run counter to your opinion, so you attempt to minimize and dismiss them instead of discussing them.

I did say it's possible (and, based on what we know, extremely likely - the most likely of all possibilities, in fact). how you digest it is colored by your opinion of me and not by the words at face value.
Please don’t put words in my mouth. I’m fine with having the conversation. Had you said extremely likely, we can discuss that. But you said it’s the only possibility.

Then what’s there to discuss?

Edit: I get it, this is what you believe. I lumped you in with Dante simply because you were defending his take.

Dante didn’t say this is what he believed. He absolutely stated it as fact. Repeatedly. So I asked for proof, but there is none.

I really struggle with absolutes. If you know for a fact, provide evidence. Simple as that.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerO
Serves Ryan Day right for trying to blame the Michigan loss on McCord to save his own skin which caused McCord to look elsewhere. Now, who is he going to blame the loss to Missouri on when the Buckeye fans are furious? And I hope they haven't figured it out yet when they play Nebraska next year.
It was more than Ryan Day.

The Ohio State fans burned McCord at the stake. I live among them. McCord was the "weak link" and was in the way of Ohio State getting over on Michigan.

Reactions: king_kong_
Your opinion may be right but unless you can provide some hard evidence for which you speak I will believe it’s only your opinion. Upon what do you base this opinion?

Reactions: timnsun
Your opinion may be right but unless you can provide some hard evidence for which you speak I will believe it’s only your opinion. Upon what do you base this opinion?
I'm sure the Raiola commitment caused Rhule to stop looking for a transfer QB. But I also believe what I read about Rhule rejecting McCord in the end after McCord's Dad started making demands. Rhule reportedly did not think McCord's Dad would be good for the team culture he was trying to build.

Interpret for me…

Kong: “I’d argue not only is it true, it’s the only possibility.”

How am I supposed to interpret this? You argue that I shut down conversation by calling the other guy a troll.

Isn’t saying this is the ONLY possibility shutting down conversation?
I said I’d argue it’s the only possibility based on deductive reasoning given the facts/circumstances.

Not that it is the only possibility.

For all we know DR’s coming here to sit behind Haarberg and agreed to do just that (another possibility).

Would be much more difficult to make a case for that one, though.

“Believe” has nothing to do with it. Just simple 1+1=2 common sense.

Again, I feel the need to emphasize this is in no way a critique of Rhule.

I said I’d argue it’s the only possibility based on deductive reasoning given the facts/circumstances.

Not that it is the only possibility.

For all we know DR’s coming here to sit behind Haarberg and agreed to do just that (another possibility).

Would be much more difficult to make a case for that one, though.

“Believe” has nothing to do with it. Just simple 1+1=2 common sense.

Again, I feel the need to emphasize this is in no way a critique of Rhule.
I quoted your post. At no point in that post did you say it was based on deductive reasoning given the facts/circumstances. Had you said that it opens the door to dialog. But you didn’t say that.

Sorry I misinterpreted the mind reading portion of your post.

I quoted your post. At no point in that post did you say it was based on deductive reasoning given the facts/circumstances. Had you said that it opens the door to dialog. But you didn’t say that.

Sorry I misinterpreted the mind reading portion of your post.
this is the first line of a reply to you. you replied to this very post:

it's all good, Tim. you don't have to apologize. I like these discussions and don't wish to make anyone mad or turn anyone off.

and I also have no interest in being "right" because in this case there is no right (we'll never know). I want to see all opinions on the matter, because maybe another is more likely than the one I've put forth. I just haven't seen it yet.

Reactions: timnsun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT