ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon has been killing it in recruiting

Seems like Buffett is just pretty damn conservative with his money. From my view, I think that what these big money donors are doing is unsustainable. Before you know it, a handful of teams will have a basketball team with a starting five getting over $1 million a year. But I think most of us, myself included have no grasp for how wealthy that some of these top donors really are.

If I did the math correctly, Phil Knight could give every Oregon football player on a 100 player roster $10 million a year. And he could do that for the next 30 years.
I agree with that, I just wish the one big billionaire that UNL has ties with would actually give something to our athletes. With that said 100% agree that he is conservative and could probably give two shits about NU football. Hopefully someday Nebraska can get some monster donors that are willing to shell out some coin. I'd be just like Phil Knight if I had the cash.

I mean, not really.

Think about it, how many kids WANTED to transfer in the past but basically couldn't. Is that really "commitment" or is it just being restricted.

It is the same with jobs today. Back in the day looking for a job was either pounding the pavement or waiting for the Sunday paper. Seeing an opening you liked...typing up your resume on stupid special resume paper, writing a stupid cover letter, getting a big ass manilla envelop mailing it out...wait 2-3 days for it to get there and then waiting another 2-3 days to maybe get a phone call to set up an interview. It was a pain in the ass.

I used to apply for teaching jobs where I would send them my shit only to have them mail back an ****ing application for me to fill out...then I had to have my credentials and transcripts sent BY MY COLLEGE...the entire process JUST to apply took 3 weeks.

Now, looking for a job takes what, 10 minutes? If that. So people leave jobs more often, is that lack of commitment or lack of restrictions?
It’s a lacking of many things. As someone who hires people it’s frustrating with this 15 second mindset. Things get a little tough and boom, they’re off to greener pastures (where they’ll face the exact same pressures).

It’s the way our society has shifted. Gnat brains have many more opt outs. There’s an honor to a commitment and taking the narrow path. Honestly, there’s less producers in this world and far more second handers. Making it easy to climb if you’re strong willed and honest.

We all want the easy way out. But rarely is that the most beneficial decision. Most of what is revered and earned in this life is through hard work and not taking the easy way out.

I can’t honestly say if making it easier for kids to leave a commitment in regards to football is better or worse, as long as intentions are noble. I can just tell you selfishly it dilutes the product we watch as viewers. It also teaches kids to chase money which is a bad path to go down.

I agree with that, I just wish the one big billionaire that UNL has ties with would actually give something to our athletes. With that said 100% agree that he is conservative and could probably give two shits about NU football. Hopefully someday Nebraska can get some monster donors that are willing to shell out some coin. I'd be just like Phil Knight if I had the cash.
If you had Phil Knight cash, you probably couldn't give it all away to Oregon fast enough.

But if I had "only" $20 million in wealth for example. I wouldn't give a lot but what I would give to NIL, I would want control over how my money was spent.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
If you had Phil Knight cash, you probably couldn't give it all away to Oregon fast enough.

But if I had "only" $20 million in wealth for example. I wouldn't give a lot but what I would give to NIL, I would want control over how my money was spent.
Yeah would be cool if you could select where your NiL money went. Like towards a position group or something

Reactions: Dean Pope
Soooooooooo with a salary cap and roster limits.
Only if that is what the colleges want to create. But you have to remember, it is not their money, in the NFL it is the owners money, of course they want a cap.

In college, it is not their money, what do they care?

I’ve never heard him express any interest in sports.

Last edited:

At that level yeah. I'd want some say. I'd probably also just go buy a shit load of the individuals clothing that they are selling and give it away to their hometown or my old hometown. Definitely would be selective with the players I wanted to support.

Reactions: Dean Pope
That is nuts. Some of these mods are ridiculous. I get having control if it is getting nasty on the name calling or personal attacks, but some of the other bans are just flat out comical.
What's even more comical is the sensitive snowflakes that report it to the mods. They all wear vagina hats.

At that level yeah. I'd want some say. I'd probably also just go buy a shit load of the individuals clothing that they are selling and give it away to their hometown or my old hometown. Definitely would be selective with the players I wanted to support.
This is funny because this is what Dallas Cowboys fans get mad at Jones for...

But it would be hard to give all that money and just be totally hands off.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
What's even more comical is the sensitive snowflakes that report it to the mods. They all wear vagina hats.
I could not imagine any post that would make me think "I need to report this"

So I am going to report it...to another loser (like me) that is sitting on his couch, eating chips, surfing the web and watching TV?

That that dork (like me) has some sort of "power"

I don't think kids getting paid is the issue. Its that kids jump around much more often & there are mega-conferences.
So a kid may go to the highest bidder out of HS. Then if Whoever U offers him more money to jump ship doesn’t that lead to the jumping around.

When the job market was hot, it was a sellers market. It was well worth one’s time to dip their toes into multiple offers being made.

It seems to me that the unbridled, no holds barred, Wild West we are currently experiencing make lead to more jumps.

This is funny because this is what Dallas Cowboys fans get mad at Jones for...

But it would be hard to give all that money and just be totally hands off.
If I had Jerry Jones money and the Cowboys I'd be hands off and try to get the correct people in place to run my franchise. At a much lower level of money, yes, I want more say. Similar to now. I try and go support the NIL things that I want. Have bought clothes, jerky and given a little to 1890 but until we get good it gets harder and harder. If I was a billionaire, I'd be spending coin on the Huskers, but it'd probably be more in the arena of making sure we are always at the forefront of equipment and facilities that way my name could be on it. Lol. NIL would get some as well, but it'd probably be a more direct thing as I don't trust anything Davison is involved in.

So a kid may go to the highest bidder out of HS. Then if Whoever U offers him more money to jump ship doesn’t that lead to the jumping around.

When the job market was hot, it was a sellers market. It was well worth one’s time to dip their toes into multiple offers being made.

It seems to me that the unbridled, no holds barred, Wild West we are currently experiencing make lead to more jumps.
There’s also a competing desire to find a good place with good opportunity, good coaching, good development, good NIL money, and not bounce around into an entirely new situation as often as possible.

Yeah would be cool if you could select where your NiL money went. Like towards a position group or something
I agree. I would put my money toward returning starters, graduate seniors-- trying to keep the best players that we already have. Maybe five K bonuses for football players who get academic All-Big 10. Stuff like that. I wouldn't be able to handle paying money to a kid who wastes the money on stupid stuff and doesn't ever play.

I agree. I would put my money toward returning starters, graduate seniors-- trying to keep the best players that we already have. Maybe five K bonuses for football players who get academic All-Big 10. Stuff like that. I wouldn't be able to handle paying money to a kid who wastes the money on stupid stuff and doesn't ever play.
Well they are all gonna waste it on stupid stuff. We sure did when we were kids

Not gonna lie - I would have a bounty system. Key interception? Get paid! Long touchdown run/catch? Get paid! Knock the opposing QB out of the game? GET PAID!!!. And I would do it old school SEC style - build a fake McDonalds and hand them bags out in the drive thru...

It’s a lacking of many things. As someone who hires people it’s frustrating with this 15 second mindset. Things get a little tough and boom, they’re off to greener pastures (where they’ll face the exact same pressures).

It’s the way our society has shifted. Gnat brains have many more opt outs. There’s an honor to a commitment and taking the narrow path. Honestly, there’s less producers in this world and far more second handers. Making it easy to climb if you’re strong willed and honest.

We all want the easy way out. But rarely is that the most beneficial decision. Most of what is revered and earned in this life is through hard work and not taking the easy way out.

I can’t honestly say if making it easier for kids to leave a commitment in regards to football is better or worse, as long as intentions are noble. I can just tell you selfishly it dilutes the product we watch as viewers. It also teaches kids to chase money which is a bad path to go down.
I think Robert Frost wrote a poem about that...

Go be a beeotch mod go broke.
Although this may have more to do with the sh!tty economy we are in that everyone is pretending is awesome
You mean like Chapter 11 bankruptcies up 34% from last year, small business bankruptcy filings up 61% from last year, and individual bankruptcies up 15% from last year?

Provable data like that is not a political statement, its the reality of what we ALL see.

It's like the 63 banks in this country, all on the verge of failing, that you can readily find on the Weiss Report. Has nothing to do with politics, has everything to do with people's money and their possible exposure.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT