ADVERTISEMENT

One thing I noticed re: qbs after watching a lot of football today

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
Not to pile on Tommy, but so many of these QBs get pressure and are really good at stepping into the pocket. Yet when Tommy has pressure, he almost always takes a huge path backwards and around to the sideline (usually right). This really puts him in a bad situation because he cuts down the available receivers to throw to, unless he wants to throw across the field (usually a pick) or he's forced to run with a border.

I'd like to see the coaches work on him stepping into the pocket more next year so he can have the whole field to look at vs one receiver likely streaking 30-40 yards downfield.

Not to pile on Tommy, but so many of these QBs get pressure and are really good at stepping into the pocket. Yet when Tommy has pressure, he almost always takes a huge path backwards and around to the sideline (usually right). This really puts him in a bad situation because he cuts down the available receivers to throw to, unless he wants to throw across the field (usually a pick) or he's forced to run with a border.

I'd like to see the coaches work on him stepping into the pocket more next year so he can have the whole field to look at vs one receiver likely streaking 30-40 yards downfield.

I obviously have not been at practice but coaches are most likely telling him to step up in the pocket away from pressure or find a lane going forward. Tommy's problem is he abuses his clear speed advantage to back pedal, do the spin move and go towards the outside where he could always outrun people in HS but not now. This does several things, takes his eyes off of the field and gets him running sideways which is not good for Tommy. Stepping up in the pocket actually would help his technique as momentum is going forward.

Tommy is not tall for a QB so stepping up in the pocket probably (obviously) feels unnatural to him because it cuts down on his vision.

Maybe he'll make strides next year but he is who he is like Taylor was who he was. It won't change and he'll keep making incredibly bad decisions at the worst possibly moment. We need a quarterback that hasn't been corrupt by the old coaching staff.

Our QB guru was supposed to fix this problem.

No one can. Time to move on. We need to groom a young quarterback or grab a juco that will throw to the open reciever underneath. Dare i say everyone improved their play this season except for Tommy.

Reactions: frankluv
Our QB guru was supposed to fix this problem.
To quote Ron White, "you can't fix stupid". Steve Taylor made the point that its obvious that TA is genetically just made this way. It isn't fixable. He's been coached as hard as you can coach a QB and he still reverts to wanting to be a hero. Its like watching a flag football QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT