ADVERTISEMENT

One Scenario Not Discussed - Riley Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Riley left Nebraska for USC at the end of the year I would not be mad. Not because of his current record and what he's currently doing, but because it's just that perfect fit. If he wants one last "hurrah", why try it at Nebraska and go through all the growing pains when USC has everything you (Riley) could ever want?

Heck, I think even on a national perspective people would go "Oh, duh of course. That makes way more sense than him doing his stuff at Nebraska. Good for them both. Long live Nebraska and USC."

There's a reason it hasn't been brought up. We are six games into the season and have lost 4 games by a total of 11 points all in the waning moments of the game. Highly doubt we will sniff the 47 point differential from last year's four losses even if we lose four more!
What part of that says this scenario should be discussed?
Well since 12 of those came from 3 games and 35 came from 1, and since we haven't played a ranked team yet you might be jumping the gun here. People tend to forget that we were 1 incomplete pass on the road against a top 5 team from being 9-0 last year.
We are 2-4.

Reactions: SDhusker12
There's a reason it hasn't been brought up. We are six games into the season and have lost 4 games by a total of 11 points all in the waning moments of the game. Highly doubt we will sniff the 47 point differential from last year's four losses even if we lose four more!
What part of that says this scenario should be discussed?
You'll call me a Pelini lover because I think Riley sucks, but this team would very likely be 6-0 under Pelini.

All of our losses are against garbage teams. With very few skill players. Our losses are against bad teams with no skill players, riddled with injuries.

The excuses are endless.

Coach Riley is a proven head coach who came here for one reason to be at a place that gives him a chance to win at the highest level. He did not come here for the money but the chance to win championships. A coach that has survived this long is not a quitter.

I think their reaction would be "Oh thank goodness. We got someone with exceptional character, everybody loves him, did more with less at OSU, beat us several times when we were at the top, knows the Pac-12, can recruit California, has developed NFL quarterbacks and players. Heck, he even was a HC in the NFL. His pro/west coast system is perfect here. Didn't we try to hire him when Pete Carroll left, or before Pete was hired? Can't remeber. Anyway, good guy. Not to be offensive to Nebraska, but I think the pro stuff just isn't their thing there. They'll be fine though, it's Nebraska."

Something like that.

Coach Riley is a proven head coach who came here for one reason to be at a place that gives him a chance to win at the highest level. He did not come here for the money but the chance to win championships. A coach that has survived this long is not a quitter.
Proven...how?

Reactions: Gretz
You'll call me a Pelini lover because I think Riley sucks, but this team would very likely be 6-0 under Pelini.

All of our losses are against garbage teams. With very few skill players. Our losses are against bad teams with no skill players, riddled with injuries.

The excuses are endless.
Not Going to call you a pelini lover but if you think we make that comeback in Miami under pelini, I'll just call you crazy. He would have gone completely mad after falling behind, no way the guys have the attitude to come back.

Well since 12 of those came from 3 games and 35 came from 1, and since we haven't played a ranked team yet you might be jumping the gun here. People tend to forget that we were 1 incomplete pass on the road against a top 5 team from being 9-0 last year.
We are 2-4.
Right lets just forget the "1". And you seem to forget we were one complete pass away from losing at home to an fcs team. You can play the game from both sides.

Not Going to call you a pelini lover but if you think we make that comeback in Miami under pelini, I'll just call you crazy. He would have gone completely mad after falling behind, no way the guys have the attitude to come back.

Glad that Bo is gone; not convinced that Riley is the man.

Having said that, this year's Miami game was very similar to last year's Michigan State game.

Southern Cal is not going to hire a 64 year old ex-Oregon State coach with a losing B10 record to lead their program. There may have been some interest a decade ago but that ship sailed a long, long time ago.

After the Sark flameout, Pat Hayden will be looking to make a consensus hire - look how Riley has divided the husker fan base,,,,,,, that is exactly what Hayden will be trying to avoid..

Bob Stoops would be a great hire for USC. Family guy. Good ethics. Winning record. National championship. Tons of conference titles. And he needs a reboot.

Right lets just forget the "1". And you seem to forget we were one complete pass away from losing at home to an fcs team. You can play the game from both sides.
We were actually tied before Ameer broke that TD. I agree that is a loss at that point but we weren't losing. I'm not defending the "14" Husker here, I just think it is too easy to get caught up in the we're only 11 points from whatever, because if Moore catches that pass and Pierson-El doesn't fumble against Minnesota, we would be talking about Pelini's 8th season.

I could see him doing something similar to Barry Collier if things aren't really clicking after 3 or 4 years, either retire or take an athletic dept. job back at Oregon St. I just don't see him taking a buyout.

I don't think this is the kinda deal where somebody looks around and says well, F this, this ain't going very good..
This ain't K-Mart.

I think the OP is off his rocker unless he thinks Riley and the administration are just putting forth a whole ton of effort in recruiting and the whole bit, for nothing. And stuff like this:

Kenny Wilhite Retweeted
Coach Quotes ‏@CoachMotto 9h9 hours ago

The measure of who we are is how we react to something that doesn't go our way. – Gregg Popovich

Doesn't seem to be indicative of a bunch of guys waiting around to be kicked to the curb or jumping out of a burning ship.

This post is combination curiosity/boredom. Seems all kinds of scenarios have been mentioned. What it takes to fire a staff after one season, what year 2 needs to look like, coordinator changes, etc. etc.

Is there any scenario where Riley throws in the towel? Not trying to stir the pot. Just seems like the scenario nobody mentions ends up happening around here lately.

Because you are bored you waste other people's time with a crazy, negative idea? smh

Todd Graham left Pitt after one year to go to ASU. There are several examples already mentioned besides Graham, so it isn't like this never happens. I don't think it will happen here though and I think it's very obvious that Anger doesn't think it will either, but I found it to be an interesting thought, one that I hadn't really thought of before. But no, it isn't happening here barring something comes up none of us saw coming, like an illness or something out of the blue like that.

Reactions: St. Anger
Todd Graham left Pitt after one year to go to ASU. There are several examples already mentioned besides Graham, so it isn't like this never happens. I don't think it will happen here though and I think it's very obvious that Anger doesn't think it will either, but I found it to be an interesting thought, one that I hadn't really thought of before. But no, it isn't happening here barring something comes up none of us saw coming, like an illness or something out of the blue like that.
What if the Oregon State AD job comes open?

Well I guess anything is possible, but I just don't think so. I don't think he's leaving, not unless something tragic pops up. I wonder if enough people at Oregon State think highly enough of him for them to even offer the job? If you believe a lot of other posters, I don't think they were all that sad he left. Seems like a long shot to even get that offer if the job is even open, I honestly don't know if it is, or might be.

We were actually tied before Ameer broke that TD. I agree that is a loss at that point but we weren't losing. I'm not defending the "14" Husker here, I just think it is too easy to get caught up in the we're only 11 points from whatever, because if Moore catches that pass and Pierson-El doesn't fumble against Minnesota, we would be talking about Pelini's 8th season.

See that's the problem. You can't play the "if" game from just one side. If we defend the hail mary, if we don't throw the int in OT, if we get a first down in two consecutive games we are 6-0 and ranked.
So IF you want to keep saying if, jump on board and see that we are close with a new staff, new system and major injury situation that is leaving us razor thin at certain positions. We don't have an Ameer or Gregory or Bell to bail us out right now.

He has said himself this is his last stop.
I forgot that no coach has ever changed his mind before. Like that time Lane Kiffin sang Rocky Top at Tennessee. You just knew he wasn't interested in any other gig.

I forgot that no coach has ever changed his mind before. Like that time Lane Kiffin sang Rocky Top at Tennessee. You just knew he wasn't interested in any other gig.
Again comparing Riley to Kiffen. I find it funny how you started this thread out of boredom and are defending it to no end. You simply aren't being realistic.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Again comparing Riley to Kiffen. I find it funny how you started this thread out of boredom and are defending it to no end. You simply aren't being realistic.
No, I'm just saying that anything is possible. If someone would've said, "Mike Riley will be our next head coach" this offseason, it would've likely received the kind of responses this thread is getting.

Not a good thread OP.
Because everyone knew Spurrier was going to retire mid-season? Because everyone knew Gary Anderson would bolt Wisconsin? Anything is possible, including Riley determining that this wasn't the right fit for him.

I don't think it would happen, but I think it's a reasonable question to ask.

Reactions: St. Anger
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT