ADVERTISEMENT

ON A SCALE OF 1 TO "IM TRANSFERING TO OREGON STATE", HOW MAD IS MARTINEZ RIGHT NOW?

I agree about Luke, I think he has a pretty weak arm and threw some ducks. What I do like is his enthusiasm, we need it since the coach doesn't bring it and I like his tempo. Long term, unless there is vast improvement over the next 3 or 4 years, he is not going to get us past 8 or 9 wins.
The coach doesn’t bring enthusiasm?

So much idiocy in this post. You don’t get to take out plays that were TDs . That’s like me saying if Warner would of caught his TD pass then Luke would of finished with a 67% completion rate with 2 TD passes. Remind me how many TD passes did Martinez throw for his first two starts?
I said if you take out the shovel pass because it wasn’t really a pass. The pass to Warner should have been caught but it was a bad pass. Either way, you are an idiot for sure if you watched that game and said beyond a doubt McCaffery is the answer at qb. He may very well improve, but that performance did not excite me.

I said if you take out the shovel pass because it wasn’t really a pass. The pass to Warner should have been caught but it was a bad pass. Either way, you are an idiot for sure if you watched that game and said beyond a doubt McCaffery is the answer at qb. He may very well improve, but that performance did not excite me.

1-0 as a starter.

Players are dropping like flies with COVID. We better hope AM doesn’t quit us. Our opponent next week won with a backup while starter was in quarantine..

Reactions: huntered
I agree that Luke has things to work on. The good part is that he's at the beginning of being the starter and hopefully will improve with each game experience. If, on the other hand, he doesn't grow then we still will be less than ideal at that position. He needs to be a better long ball passer.
I don't think Frost and Verd have recruited a qb that can advance the ball down field. Neither LM not AM have demonstrated that skill and the last two QB recruited seem to be more athletes than QB. The idea that we can recruit an athlete and develop them as a passer has a lot of flaws when playing against the talent the BIG has.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I don't think Frost and Verd have recruited a qb that can advance the ball down field. Neither LM not AM have demonstrated that skill and the last two QB recruited seem to be more athletes than QB. The idea that we can recruit an athlete and develop them as a passer has a lot of flaws when playing against the talent the BIG has.
Yes, I'd like to see a QB that can pass first with second having some ability to run on occasion. Seems like Frost is going for the reverse. For whatever reason AM was a much better passer in his Freshman year than he is now.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
What about Smothers? Will he wait basically four more years to possibly start?
next year, I think Smothers starts getting some reps as the #2

Martinez may play some backup this year, but we just turned a page and he's already had his shot.

I don't think it would be wise to go back to the prior arrangement. It would be foolish to do so.

So to me, Smothers has one guy in front of him next year, and maybe he is better too?

I agree with this...

The main reason we were successful with athletes playing QB (Frost, Frazier, Crouch, Gill) was because of the system TO & Solich ran. We were very run heavy, with an occasional bomb downfield.

You could also argue that Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez fit into that category as well, but under a more modern short passing game system.

Wow you have some high expectations. Prepare to be disappointed.
Good call. Lofty, yes. A tad exaggerated, perhaps. Plenty of QB’s average 250+ throwing, sometimes getting benched in 4th quarter anyway for their productivity. Adding significant rushing yds puts them into more elite category.

The point is throwing for 100-150 per game is not gonna cut it.

As for being disappointed, I’ve had 20 years of practice to get used to it.

I agree with this...

The main reason we were successful with athletes playing QB (Frost, Frazier, Crouch, Gill) was because of the system TO & Solich ran. We were very run heavy, with an occasional bomb downfield.

You could also argue that Tommy Armstrong and Taylor Martinez fit into that category as well, but under a more modern short passing game system.
I'd still take Shawn Watson and Tim Becks offense today. They weren't great play callers but the system is solid, with fewer weak points than what Frost is trying to do.

I'd still take Shawn Watson and Tim Becks offense today. They weren't great play callers but the system is solid, with fewer weak points than what Frost is trying to do.

I’m still trying to figure out what Frost is doing..

I’m disappointed that this hasn’t looked nothing like his UCF offenses..😩

I’m still trying to figure out what Frost is doing..

I’m disappointed that this hasn’t looked nothing like his UCF offenses..😩
Trying to adjust to the physical style of play in the Big 10 by getting guys that don't fit the system he used to run. He him-haws back and forth with stuff like putting Wandale at RB, but we all know that isn't a long term solution. We need a back that is more in the mold of what we used in the 90s and under Bo, but that doesn't exactly work with his offensive style. He's going to have to adapt or his tenure will be a failed experiment.

If he doesn't have the arm strength/decision processing to be a complete QB. Maybe he should play slash and be a RB/QB. He is running with more confidence this year. He's got a strong build&good wheels.

Wildcat plays. Make the opponent's defensive coordinator earn his paycheck

Reactions: BleedRed78
So much idiocy in this post. You don’t get to take out plays that were TDs . That’s like me saying if Warner would of caught his TD pass then Luke would of finished with a 67% completion rate with 2 TD passes. Remind me how many TD passes did Martinez throw for his first two starts?

There needs to be a self-policing algorithm that removes posts that use the word "if".

"if we had won the game we wouldn't have lost" George Carlin

I still say Smothers will be the qb when all is said and done. He starts by his sophomore year.

I still say Smothers will be the qb when all is said and done. He starts by his sophomore year.

If he can pass the ball better and have touch I would imagine you’ll be correct..But turning the ball over will always be a big factor who starts over the other(s)...

I think AM will get another shot to regain his position if LM doesn't improve in the passing game and knowledge of playbook. Not sure how long it will take for Luke to get better in the drop back game but the offense seems more one dimensional with him in the game.

I agree about Luke, I think he has a pretty weak arm and threw some ducks. What I do like is his enthusiasm, we need it since the coach doesn't bring it and I like his tempo. Long term, unless there is vast improvement over the next 3 or 4 years, he is not going to get us past 8 or 9 wins.
At this point I’d kill for 8-9 wins

Reactions: scarletred
why would AM be mad?.....not like he didn't get chance after chance after chance at being Nebraska's QB.........besides, he's 1 injury away from being the QB again ....

He's mature beyond his years. That said, IF I were him and had endured the crap he's taken from fans I would leave if I didn't think I could win the job back. Why be a backup on a team where the fans don't appreciate my effort when I could play at some nice warm place where nobody gives a sh## about football. If he sticks around and continues to fight for his job, that's great for us and says that his character is a lot higher than most of the posters on this message board.
What are you talking about? Are you insunuating he should be the starter for nastalgic reasons? I can give great effort, but if I don't get it done, then someone should replace me. Ridiculous take.

What are you talking about? Are you insunuating he should be the starter for nastalgic reasons? I can give great effort, but if I don't get it done, then someone should replace me. Ridiculous take.
He’s one of our top 3 offensive playmakers. I wish there was a way to get him and Luke on the field together more.

The hard thing for me is, when Martinez is actually decisive and doesn't seem to be playing scared, he unquestionably throws a better ball than McCaffrey. Doesn't take much scouting to see Martinez is a better passer.

The problem is, Martinez's accuracy even in short passes seems to be gone. I don't know if he's thinking too much, playing scared, whatever, but he can't seem to make the basic throws right now, and his arm is his main advantage over McCaffrey. The offense also seems to move with more purpose under McCaffrey and he just seems to be able to manage it better. I don't think McCaffrey has the arm to be an NFL QB, but he works in our offense. Warner should have caught that end zone pass but MAN was that an ugly throw and I can understand why it was hard to catch.

I see McCaffrey in kind of a TMart mold as far as his style of play, probably a slightly better passer and not quite as fast as far as straight line speed goes. He's electric when he's on the field, though he's more of an athlete playing QB.

That's a good post sir and I agree with your insight completely "except"......while for sure McCaffrey is quick and truly fast but I think nowhere even remotely as explosive as a healthy TMart was. He totally left the opponent's secondary in the dust many, many times.

Heh, but so what....it's just my take and I'm damn glad we have those two qbs. Which one is better is way over my head.

who had the best qb on the field yesterday? who had the to's? who had a qb taking care of the ball with bad snaps and other players running into him? who was calling the plays? the frickin wounded duck pass to warner was still on target and has to be caught. we didn't have our usual turnover at an important juncture in the game! we played like a team to win a close one. seemed to me like we played together like a team that liked each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT