ADVERTISEMENT

ON A SCALE OF 1 TO "IM TRANSFERING TO OREGON STATE", HOW MAD IS MARTINEZ RIGHT NOW?

_glaciers

Feb 25, 2020
you can imagine his shock, knowing he's superior to Joe Burrow, that Christian McCaffrey's 16 year old brother just made him look a scrub.

Reactions: BleedRed78
What? McCaffrey may very well be the better qb, but he is a long way from being a good qb. He is a great offensive weapon for sure, but I am not sold that he is the better of the two. I actually think we are better offensively when we can get both of them on the field. Take out the 50 yard shovel pass and he was 12/20 for 100 yards and an int.

What? McCaffrey may very well be the better qb, but he is a long way from being a good qb. He is a great offensive weapon for sure, but I am not sold that he is the better of the two. I actually think we are better offensively when we can get both of them on the field.

"we're actually much better when we have 2 QB's on the field"

- said no successful head coach past Pop Warner

I don't know why people think every time a starting QB sits on the bench for a while that he's immediately going to transfer. Here it is an earthshaking deal, yet it happens to other QB's who are having a rough time. Both Penn State and Michigan pulled their starting QB yesterday.

Now IF Frost is smart he'll find a way to put Martinez in the game while Luke is the QB just like it happened when the reverse was true. I think Martinez could have taken a few snaps at RB yesterday when the regular RB's weren't tearing up the field.

I don't know why people think every time a starting QB sits on the bench for a while that he's immediately going to transfer. Here it is an earthshaking deal, yet it happens to other QB's who are having a rough time. Both Penn State and Michigan pulled their starting QB yesterday.

Now IF Frost is smart he'll find a way to put Martinez in the game while Luke is the QB just like it happened when the reverse was true. I think Martinez could have taken a few snaps at RB yesterday when the regular RB's weren't tearing up the field.

I just don’t see the need to put a slower RB with worse ball security on the field.

I hope 2AM sticks it out:
1) that’s a pretty good back up to have
2) the way Luke runs and given his frame could see him getting injured
3) I was called a “dumbass” yesterday for suggesting Luke is not a good passer. Haven’t seen him toss it beyond 12 yards yet

If he doesn't have the arm strength/decision processing to be a complete QB. Maybe he should play slash and be a RB/QB. He is running with more confidence this year. He's got a strong build&good wheels.

What? McCaffrey may very well be the better qb, but he is a long way from being a good qb. He is a great offensive weapon for sure, but I am not sold that he is the better of the two. I actually think we are better offensively when we can get both of them on the field. Take out the 50 yard shovel pass and he was 12/20 for 100 yards and an int.
Where's the dislike button?

Only one can be the#1 QB. That's why it's called #1. Running away when ever you don't get what you want will make for a long unpleasant life

So much idiocy in this post. You don’t get to take out plays that were TDs . That’s like me saying if Warner would of caught his TD pass then Luke would of finished with a 67% completion rate with 2 TD passes. Remind me how many TD passes did Martinez throw for his first two starts?

3) I was called a “dumbass” yesterday for suggesting Luke is not a good passer. Haven’t seen him toss it beyond 12 yards yet

And # 3 is still correct...

His first pass to Austin Allen was more than 12 yards dumbass

you can imagine his shock, knowing he's superior to Joe Burrow, that Christian McCaffrey's 16 year old brother just made him look a scrub.
McCaffrey is a great athlete but there are definitely things to work on especially clock management and the passing game is still lacking badly. If Martinez transfers after one game as the second string it would be ridiculous.

McCaffrey is a great athlete but there are definitely things to work on especially clock management and the passing game is still lacking badly. If Martinez transfers after one game as the second string it would be ridiculous.

Clock management wasn’t his fault yesterday it was SF fault for putting in personal in late and Penn St taking their time putting in their personal on the 2nd time out...

I think Martinez should be commended on how he handled himself during the game.

There were multiple times that he appeared engaged with the team, and cheered on his teammates.

Given he lost his starter position, he handled that graciously and better than I hoped for.
He's mature beyond his years. That said, IF I were him and had endured the crap he's taken from fans I would leave if I didn't think I could win the job back. Why be a backup on a team where the fans don't appreciate my effort when I could play at some nice warm place where nobody gives a sh## about football. If he sticks around and continues to fight for his job, that's great for us and says that his character is a lot higher than most of the posters on this message board.

I agree that Luke has things to work on. The good part is that he's at the beginning of being the starter and hopefully will improve with each game experience. If, on the other hand, he doesn't grow then we still will be less than ideal at that position. He needs to be a better long ball passer.

Clock management wasn’t his fault yesterday it was SF fault for putting in personal in late and Penn St taking their time putting in their personal on the 2nd time out...
Part of that IMO in the second half was just an attempt to shorten the game by Frost. They definitely tried to slow the offense down and use clock. It bit them in the ass that one time where we had to call timeout.

Reactions: ATX Husker
PSU has excellent talent at DB and we weren't exactly playing a bunch of seasoned NFL WRs. McCaffrey I thought did a good job of taking care of the football in the passing game. He had one TD pass thrown in to a tight window that was dropped by Kade Warner.

Part of that IMO in the second half was just an attempt to shorten the game by Frost. They definitely tried to slow the offense down and use clock. It bit them in the ass that one time where we had to call timeout.

Not the first timeout coming from a TV timeout and the second, personal came in too late by the time Penn St Lollygagged to put in their personnel we had to call a time out.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Agree completely. This isn’t over and Amart needs to be ready and very well may perform better and more relaxed coming off bench.

The hard thing for me is, when Martinez is actually decisive and doesn't seem to be playing scared, he unquestionably throws a better ball than McCaffrey. Doesn't take much scouting to see Martinez is a better passer.

The problem is, Martinez's accuracy even in short passes seems to be gone. I don't know if he's thinking too much, playing scared, whatever, but he can't seem to make the basic throws right now, and his arm is his main advantage over McCaffrey. The offense also seems to move with more purpose under McCaffrey and he just seems to be able to manage it better. I don't think McCaffrey has the arm to be an NFL QB, but he works in our offense. Warner should have caught that end zone pass but MAN was that an ugly throw and I can understand why it was hard to catch.

I see McCaffrey in kind of a TMart mold as far as his style of play, probably a slightly better passer and not quite as fast as far as straight line speed goes. He's electric when he's on the field, though he's more of an athlete playing QB.

Not the first timeout coming from a TV timeout and the second, personal came in too late by the time Penn St Lollygagged to put in their personnel we had to call a time out.
Ironically on the one play after a TV timeout Kade Warner was the one running on the field. Was it because he was trying to cover for a freshman WR who blew it or was he the one that didn't realize he needed to be on the field? Our WR coach is up in the box right? Having your WR coach also be your OC might be a problem when you're trying to play that many WRs.

If he doesn't have the arm strength/decision processing to be a complete QB. Maybe he should play slash and be a RB/QB. He is running with more confidence this year. He's got a strong build&good wheels.

I definitely think they should use him in certain packages ala Taysom Hill. AM is a load and can run between the tackles much better. Just have a set number of plays that AM runs, take the decision-making out of his hands, and let him go to work.

What about Smothers? Will he wait basically four more years to possibly start?

Let’s be real if Luke doesn’t know the offense quite as much as Martinez would anyone expect Smothers to know the offense more than Luke..

I agree about Luke, I think he has a pretty weak arm and threw some ducks. What I do like is his enthusiasm, we need it since the coach doesn't bring it and I like his tempo. Long term, unless there is vast improvement over the next 3 or 4 years, he is not going to get us past 8 or 9 wins.

Like @NikkiSixx mentioned, we should absolutely appreciate how AM has handled things. That’s called putting your team first and being the leader you’re supposed to be. He’s a class act, and the value in that can’t be overstated.

He’ll continue to battle this year, and any transfer decision may also depend on how Smothers develops. I say it’s only 30% chance he leaves after the season (as of today).

Meanwhile, we can’t be satisfied with what Luke has done. He does seem to bring urgency and fire which I love, but he’s got a ways to go to be the player we need taking snaps.
Good news is his trajectory seems to point the right way. Learn to throw some serious passing yards, avoid mistakes, and we may see some of the Frostfense we've been waiting for.
It’s gonna take help from OL and WR rooms and let’s not forget coaching.

Let’s be real if Luke doesn’t know the offense quite as much as Martinez would anyone expect Smothers to know the offense more than Luke..

Where does Smothers project, compared to Martinez and Luke? Who among the 3 has the higher ceiling?

In theory, all 3 of them could still be here in 2023...

Where does Smothers project, compared to Martinez and Luke? Who among the 3 has the higher ceiling?

In theory, all 3 of them could still be here in 2023...
This is not giving up on anyone, but from what I’ve seen, I hope it’s Smothers.
Typical “hope the next guy is better and more polished.”
Verduzco said he had a lot of work to do on his throwing, but that may have been focused on mechanics which might be a contributing factor in ruining AM (a la thinking too much)

I want a QB who can throw for 300 yds, 2-3 TDs, and run for 100 yds 1 TD on an average day. We’re sure not there yet.

This is not giving up on anyone, but from what I’ve seen, I hope it’s Smothers.
Typical “hope the next guy is better and more polished.”
Verduzco said he had a lot of work to do on his throwing, but that may have been focused on mechanics which might be a contributing factor in ruining AM (a la thinking too much)

I want a QB who can throw for 300 yds, 2-3 TDs, and run for 100 yds 1 TD on an average day. We’re sure not there yet.

Wow you have some high expectations. Prepare to be disappointed.

Reactions: ATX Husker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT