ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss Star RB Judkins to enter the portal

and how many games was that for each?
i think that’s Kongs point, IGC isn’t reliable. So the total of snaps is low… but hey he will be right there for UTEP and the first half of Colorado. him and G Erving Jr.

But don’t worry Gabe will take a ton of gym selfies this summer to quench your man crush thirsts

Last edited:
A high percentage of these good portal players didn't consider us during the recruiting process and they likely aren't going to consider us now that they can anywhere. You build through high school players and supplement holes through the portal.
Agree 100%. These high priced mercenaries are just looking for the better payday and better visibility. This kid is probably looking to go to Georgia or Bama or Michigan or OSU. Some place like that.

I'll take Coach Rhule at his word when he said he's looking for guys who will be there for a 2-3 years and not one year rentals.

Agree 100%. These high priced mercenaries are just looking for the better payday and better visibility. This kid is probably looking to go to Georgia or Bama or Michigan or OSU. Some place like that.

I'll take Coach Rhule at his word when he said he's looking for guys who will be there for a 2-3 years and not one year rentals.
I think he said he will take 1 year guys if they are the right guy and the right situation. Just doesn't want a ton of them and will take a younger guy all things being equal.

One of the main themes that has come out recently with the post season is how few Nebraska players have hit the portal. The reasoning being given is that NU culturally is a fit and has put things in place to make this a true home for many of these kids... this is where they want to be. Portal Transfers are going to happen but perhaps Rhule's method of developing players will help this team retain significant playmakers in a few years when they're hopefully playing for championships and dudes won't bail...

In addition, Do we really want DONU to be a team like Ol'Miss or Colorado where there's zero continuity? The teams playing for it all appear to have it together and aren't losing the majority of their players... I just don't know how you win the big one with a constant rotating door of players

Yeah, Rhule did say that. And to be clear, those "one year rentals" I was referring to can have a major impact immediately. That's why I was actually more excited about McCord than DR simply because McCord had experience and was a proven winner. Granted, he was winning at Ohio State surrounded by NFL-level talent, but he won nonetheless.

Five-star recruits are a bit like First Round draft picks. You never know what you're gonna get. That's why I'm glad my NFL team (the Rams) strike gold in the later rounds. Fvck them picks lol.

But it's all a moot point now. DR's the man so let's hope he is every bit as good as his rating says he is. Then let's hope he stays at Nebraska.

You build through high school players and supplement holes through the portal.

I keep seeing people post this, but how can anyone really know that with the way this thing's going? Far more talent in the portal this year than ever before. If it keeps heading that way, the formula for getting talent will have to shift as well. There's just no way it can't

Reactions: oldjar07
I keep seeing people post this, but how can anyone really know that with the way this thing's going? Far more talent in the portal this year than ever before. If it keeps heading that way, the formula for getting talent will have to shift as well. There's just no way it can't
The difference to me is the 1 year guys vs the 2-4 year guys.

If a guy is leaving after 3 or 4 seasons with just one season to play, he was either a marginal player, was recruited over and doesn't think he will be the starter his senior year, or is looking for a payday.

A guy with 3 or 4 seasons to play has the time to mold into the culture and may just not like the fit at the first school, perhaps there was a coaching change, or they they are looking for a payday.

I would not be interested in a guy who is just looking for the payday. That person appears selfish and may disrupt any culture that has been established.

I would agree the formula may have to shift, but I don't think the guys that will only offer you 1 year are the guys that will cause the shift. Even in the NFL, you sign a free agent to more than a 1 year deal.

It absolutely does limit us from exactly that. Every scholarship you hand out to a 5.5 3 star HS kid is a scholarship you can't offer to a GOOD portal player. And once again I'm ahead of the curve on this just like I have been about everything before. Championship teams will primarily be made out of the portal moving forward.

What happens if college football finally puts some reins on this madness and you have a upper class heavy team and are screwed until you get younger guys to fil the void.

When we got 6.1 5-star highest rated QB in the nation he still complained. He's just a miserable person. Not sure why he even hangs out on here when all he does is piss and moan about everything. Sad existence.
It would be great if you put someone on ignore, and then every time they post something they get a wet willie.

nxt epw GIF by Explosive Professional Wrestling

Disclaimer, I'm not arguing with you, just playing devil's advocate. Definitely not ready to say loading a roster with the portal is the way of the future. I'm just stating that it's too early to tell how this thing ends up going. Some counterpoints to what you wrote...

If a guy is leaving after 3 or 4 seasons with just one season to play, he was either a marginal player, was recruited over and doesn't think he will be the starter his senior year, or is looking for a payday.

More and more players seem to be looking for a payday. And why shouldn't they? It's set up right now so they can, so why not test the open market? What's to make us think that trend of more and more talent doing this isn't going to continue? it's been heading that way at what I'd call an alarming rate as it is and especially now that it's limitless.

A guy with 3 or 4 seasons to play has the time to mold into the culture and may just not like the fit at the first school, perhaps there was a coaching change, or they they are looking for a payday.

Again, if things keep trending the way they are, keeping a talented player from getting his max value on the open market may not be a reality. Lot easier to keep guys for 3-4 years who don't have much value in the open market than the talented ones who might be able to name their price other places. Easy answer is to pay them to stay, but there's only so much of that to go around.

I would not be interested in a guy who is just looking for the payday. That person appears selfish and may disrupt any culture that has been established.

Me too, but there may come a point when that's not a reality. Or at least for any of the real talent.

I would agree the formula may have to shift, but I don't think the guys that will only offer you 1 year are the guys that will cause the shift. Even in the NFL, you sign a free agent to more than a 1 year deal.

Bad comparison because A) NFL players have contracts and college players don't. If NFL players didn't have contracts and teams didn't have caps (like college), I guarantee you there would be major roster shuffling every year. The draft would be a sideshow because there's no way teams wouldn't be putting far more emphasis on proven talent than for unproven rookies. It already is that way even with contracts. There's a reason the veterans get paid way more than players on their roookie contracts. B) NFL players sign one year deals all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
I guess we will find out.

How do build depth with using the portal for majority of your players? Seems counter productive to constantly change the core of your team.

I feel like NU is closer to following Georgia and Bama than CU. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I don't see any of the top 10 programs filling rosters with portal guys. OU, Oregon, and Washington seem to have the most with 6 or 7 each for this year.

Reactions: timnsun
When we got 6.1 5-star highest rated QB in the nation he still complained. He's just a miserable person. Not sure why he even hangs out on here when all he does is piss and moan about everything. Sad existence.

It's weird we found room for DR. Since we were all full.

I wonder if..... oh, I don't know....... we could make room ever again for a portal player we like?

Or maybe even a couple?

Last edited:
I guess we will find out.

How do build depth with using the portal for majority of your players? Seems counter productive to constantly change the core of your team.

I feel like NU is closer to following Georgia and Bama than CU. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place but I don't see any of the top 10 programs filling rosters with portal guys. OU, Oregon, and Washington seem to have the most with 6 or 7 each for this year.

The top 10 programs being structured that way now may have more to do with timeline than what the actual end result will be. Of course they are that way now, they recruited great talent over the years leading up to this. But as more and more talent hits the portal each year, which there is no doubt we are seeing, that formula has to become less and less effective. To what extent is probably the question. Again, I'm not saying it's the only way or the way of the future or whatever, I'm just saying we can't possibly say that it isn't. Because as the portal shifts, the strategy for handling it will have to shift along with it.

Reactions: huntered
There's more talent entering the portal then there is actually coming back on teams. That's why I harp on so much about taking nine 5.5 3 stars, because it directly impacts and limits how many transfers we can take. I wouldn't mind so much back with the old recruiting rules, but times change. In today's environment, I'm not sure why you would take a chance on so many low rated HS kids when there is a ton of proven talent in the portal to choose from.
Gee man you've been right all along. Hopefully the coaches listen to your genius.

The top 10 programs being structured that way now may have more to do with timeline than what the actual end result will be. Of course they are that way now, they recruited great talent over the years leading up to this. But as more and more talent hits the portal each year, which there is no doubt we are seeing, that formula has to become less and less effective. To what extent is probably the question. Again, I'm not saying it's the only way or the way of the future or whatever, I'm just saying we can't possibly say that it isn't. Because as the portal shifts, the strategy for handling it will have to shift along with it.
Take a look at how many high school kids and portal players these top schools take. There is definitely a trend. Unless you are saying these programs are all exactly the same? You have a core group and then find 4 to 6 portal guys to fill gaps. Take a few more if you have attrition, a few less if you don't.

These highly talented/successful players are fishing for more NIL money in the portal.

One of the main themes that has come out recently with the post season is how few Nebraska players have hit the portal. The reasoning being given is that NU culturally is a fit and has put things in place to make this a true home for many of these kids... this is where they want to be. Portal Transfers are going to happen but perhaps Rhule's method of developing players will help this team retain significant playmakers in a few years when they're hopefully playing for championships and dudes won't bail...

In addition, Do we really want DONU to be a team like Ol'Miss or Colorado where there's zero continuity? The teams playing for it all appear to have it together and aren't losing the majority of their players... I just don't know how you win the big one with a constant rotating door of players
Or our guys aren't really good enough to go to somewhere better (or earn more $$). The jury is still out on which it is.

They are reactionary people with no vision whatsoever. It's no surprise they can't see this. There's an insane amount of talent in the portal - proven talent against P5 competition - and yet people still think the best strategy is to go basement bargain shopping for low rated HS kids and low rated transfers from some small Jesuit school with a low competition level, instead of going out and competing for the very best transfers in the portal.

This isn't true anymore. There's a ton of good talent entering the portal, either testing the waters for whatever reason or because they've gotten lowball NIL offers from their own school. Whichever coach actually sees there is an insane amount of talent in the portal that is currently undervalued is going to reap great rewards.

Ironically, it's Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss that seems to be at the forefront of this, but perhaps he lowballed the players already on his roster and that's why Judkins is looking at moving on. That's pure speculation but wouldn't be surprised if that's the situation here.

What happens if college football finally puts some reins on this madness and you have a upper class heavy team and are screwed until you get younger guys to fil the void.
There's zero indication that will happen at this point.

Disclaimer, I'm not arguing with you, just playing devil's advocate. Definitely not ready to say loading a roster with the portal is the way of the future. I'm just stating that it's too early to tell how this thing ends up going. Some counterpoints to what you wrote...

More and more players seem to be looking for a payday. And why shouldn't they? It's set up right now so they can, so why not test the open market? What's to make us think that trend of more and more talent doing this isn't going to continue? it's been heading that way at what I'd call an alarming rate as it is and especially now that it's limitless.

Again, if things keep trending the way they are, keeping a talented player from getting his max value on the open market may not be a reality. Lot easier to keep guys for 3-4 years who don't have much value in the open market than the talented ones who might be able to name their price other places. Easy answer is to pay them to stay, but there's only so much of that to go around.

Me too, but there may come a point when that's not a reality. Or at least for any of the real talent.

Bad comparison because A) NFL players have contracts and college players don't. If NFL players didn't have contracts and teams didn't have caps (like college), I guarantee you there would be major roster shuffling every year. The draft would be a sideshow because there's no way teams wouldn't be putting far more emphasis on proven talent than for unproven rookies. It already is that way even with contracts. There's a reason the veterans get paid way more than players on their roookie contracts. B) NFL players sign one year deals all the time.
You seem to be the only other poster that actually understands what is going on. Every other poster on this board is living in the past and has got their fingers in their ears going "la la la" anytime someone discusses the reality of the situation.

You mean what happens if they reverse course on their proposal to avoid looking like a monopoly and then get hauled into court?

At that point the NCAA might go away all together.

Can you name the dozen who are just as good?
You could take the top dozen on this list. Some of the rankings after that aren't that good. I'd have Chaney and Ward a lot closer to the top 10, for example. But there's probably at least 30 there better than anything on our roster. Boise State guy was also in the portal for a bit before returning to his school.

You could take the top dozen on this list. Some of the rankings after that aren't that good. I'd have Chaney and Ward a lot closer to the top 10, for example. But there's probably at least 30 there better than anything on our roster. Boise State guy was also in the portal for a bit before returning to his school.
And you know for certain none of these guys were approached by Nebraska?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Colorado improved. A lot.
On the one hand, it’s pretty easy to improve a lot when the comparison is arguably the worst P5 team in a decade. And when you have Shedeur and Hunter tagging along as a given.

On the other hand, despite going 0-7 to finish the season many of those losses were close contests against winning teams. If they can improve just a little more, they could really make some waves in a newer/easier conference.

But to improve, they need to fix the lines. Hard to do when you are starting over every year. They have a 5* OL coming in, but he’s still a true freshman. Not sure the coaching/development will be there either.

Georgia took 28 hs players. Bama 27. Oregon 26. OU 28. LSU 29. Michigan 27.

You are ahead of Saban? Harbaugh? Smart? Kelly?

Sure buddy.

On a side note: Harbaugh signed 9 3 stars and a 2 star. Dead weight. Guys an idiot. Just ask oldjar.
Posting this again for @oldjar07. I think you missed this one. Are saying you know more about roster management and recruiting than the above coaches?

Reactions: dinglefritz
Take a look at how many high school kids and portal players these top schools take. There is definitely a trend. Unless you are saying these programs are all exactly the same? You have a core group and then find 4 to 6 portal guys to fill gaps. Take a few more if you have attrition, a few less if you don't.

Yeah, you're not understanding me. I know what's been done. I'm talking about what the future looks like. Things are not the same as they've been and they're trending more that way. And again, unlike oldjar, I'm not saying it is guaranteed that loading up on mostly portal players is necessarily going to be the future. But I think it's naive to say for certain that it won't be. As more and more talent goes into the portal every year, teams will have to shift their focus more toward it. Simple math says they'll just have to. Hell, maybe it ends up being 50/50? I don't know. But it'll be more than what's been done in the past.

who wants to build ENTIRE team? look at ave to below ave areas and supplement with proven talent.

That's exactly what teams like Colorado and Ole Miss are doing. Deion did use the portal last year to try to rebuild almost the entire team, which was an anomaly. But he's doing exactly what you're talking about this year. As is Kiffin. Time will tell if it works out. USC did it when Riley went there and it worked out pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT