ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, I'll ask it, hoop insiders....

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
....WHY did Rice and Coleman not play more? Coleman had GOOD stats from previous school, and Rice seemed like the deal...

Now....I'll fully expect one or more of you to take a blast at Fred here, but I'd like an analytical answer....:)

Reactions: t7w0c1
I’m no insider, but someone mentioned Rice was suffering from an ankle injury?? As far as Coleman’s situation….11 Huskers saw time in last game vs AM, but not him.
I attended about 6 home games in seats very close to Husker bench, he always seemed very engaged with other team members and joking around with them.
Guessing only him and Fred know why he didn’t play more.

Reactions: dinglefritz
....WHY did Rice and Coleman not play more? Coleman had GOOD stats from previous school, and Rice seemed like the deal...

Now....I'll fully expect one or more of you to take a blast at Fred here, but I'd like an analytical answer....:)
Rice was getting limited minutes but contributing until his high ankle sprain. Showed offensive promise.

Coleman struggled in the Non-conf with Turnovers and did not shoot well. Eventually Sam's production won out and they went with a mostly 8 man rotation

Rice was getting limited minutes but contributing until his high ankle sprain. Showed offensive promise.

Coleman struggled in the Non-conf with Turnovers and did not shoot well. Eventually Sam's production won out and they went with a mostly 8 man rotation
I’ll co-sign this. Boogie looked like a very good teammate but did little to nothing in the few times he saw the floor. I was always a little surprised, even on senior night.

Why did Fred not recruit Baylor Scheierman coming out of Aurora? He averaged 22 point per game in high school. I am betting he would have gone to Nebraska over South Dakota state.

Too busy chasing Sallis. Honestly, it was Matt A. and his recruiting philosophy that was probably mostly to blame. He recruited some real losers.
You are right it was the approach his trusted assistant used. It worked well in the past for Fred but not here. Had their sights set on 4 and 5 stars only.

Reactions: dpnavy and mgbreis
Why did Fred not recruit Baylor Scheierman coming out of Aurora? He averaged 22 point per game in high school. I am betting he would have gone to Nebraska over South Dakota state.
Tough to predict how some Class B players are going to translate to major conference basketball. Creighton didn't offer him either so..... IF you take a lot of guys who you're hoping to develop, you're probably not going to be competitive. Ideally you make a pitch to a kid like that to walk on but don't burn any bridges with him if he goes elsewhere.

Reactions: kevingne

You don't have to be an insider to know why Coleman didn't play, he was a terrible player. He couldn't play D, was a turnover machine, not a team player, not a good shooter, slow...shall I continue?

Tough to predict how some Class B players are going to translate to major conference basketball. Creighton didn't offer him either so..... IF you take a lot of guys who you're hoping to develop, you're probably not going to be competitive. Ideally you make a pitch to a kid like that to walk on but don't burn any bridges with him if he goes elsewhere.

Actually it was easy for most of us that watched him his senior year in basketball that he could play for Nebraska and probably could have started for Nebraska that year honestly....

I still don't know how both in state schools missed that bad.

Reactions: mgbreis
You don't have to be an insider to know why Coleman didn't play, he was a terrible player. He couldn't play D, was a turnover machine, not a team player, not a good shooter, slow...shall I continue?
No, you pretty much stated your case😂

Actually it was easy for most of us that watched him his senior year in basketball that he could play for Nebraska and probably could have started for Nebraska that year honestly....

I cannot agree with this post enough. I only watched him once, at the Heartland Hoops Classic. It was so obvious he was a special talent. Nebraska, the team that year after year struggled to make 3's, didn't offer a 6'6" kid that warmed up making 3's from near half court effortlessly.

Creighton can afford to not take risks on Class B Nebraska kids. Nebraska needs to take risks here and there. I think Fred knows that now after seeing what Griesel, Scheierman, etc have done.

Send your resume to both Fred and Mac . Since you are recruiting machine and saw what apparently they Both missed.

I cannot agree with this post enough. I only watched him once, at the Heartland Hoops Classic. It was so obvious he was a special talent. Nebraska, the team that year after year struggled to make 3's, didn't offer a 6'6" kid that warmed up making 3's from near half court effortlessly.

Creighton can afford to not take risks on Class B Nebraska kids. Nebraska needs to take risks here and there. I think Fred knows that now after seeing what Griesel, Scheierman, etc have done.
Send your resume Fred for recruiting coordinator .

Send your resume Fred for recruiting coordinator .
Send your resume to your Mom for douche nozzle coordinator. Fred's recruiting the last 2 years shows he knows he missed on local kids. He's lusted after nearly every one of them that hit the portal. Sure, I'll send my resume, I have no problem telling him to recruit 6'6" guys that are deadly from 3 and, oh yeah, have the athleticism to be one of the best QB's in the state. Doesn't take a genius.

There’s more to the game than being able to shoot 3s and being 6-6. The kid from Yankton SD who started for his high school team as a 7th grader, played AAU ball in high school and signed with Wisconsin is now riding the bench at South Dakota State. It’s not his attitude or work ethic. He was just maxed out athletically as a high schooler. People were pissed when we didn’t land him. It was between Wisconsin and Creighton. Obviously some kids mature, get stronger, get quicker and improve their game when they hit college.

Reactions: huskerfan66
There’s more to the game than being able to shoot 3s and being 6-6. The kid from Yankton SD who started for his high school team as a 7th grader, played AAU ball in high school and signed with Wisconsin is now riding the bench at South Dakota State. It’s not his attitude or work ethic. He was just maxed out athletically as a high schooler. People were pissed when we didn’t land him. It was between Wisconsin and Creighton. Obviously some kids mature, get stronger, get quicker and improve their game when they hit college.
I said nothing about being him being 6-6 and shooting 3's, that's not why I thought he'd be good😂

it was his court awareness, his vision, his passing ability, his ability to get to the rim anytime and finish at the rim, his ability to control the game and run the point basically having the ball in his hands most of the game and rarely making bad decisions............ I can keep going if you want

shooting 3's and being 6'6 didn't even factor into the reason I thought he was so good😂

Send your resume to both Fred and Mac . Since you are recruiting machine and saw what apparently they Both missed.
I said the same about St. Thomas from Millard North, he was the best player on the floor in the state championship game his Senior vs Bellevue West obviously with Chucky Hepburn, Frankie Filder, William Kyle and his teammate Hunter Sallis....

I said the same about St. Thomas from Millard North, he was the best player on the floor in the state championship game his Senior vs Bellevue West obviously with Chucky Hepburn, Frankie Filder, William Kyle and his teammate Hunter Sallis....
Sorry if this was already posted, but Thomas is also now in the transfer portal:

GREELEY TRIBUNE

First-team all-conference this year for the UNC Bears.

I said nothing about being him being 6-6 and shooting 3's, that's not why I thought he'd be good😂

it was his court awareness, his vision, his passing ability, his ability to get to the rim anytime and finish at the rim, his ability to control the game and run the point basically having the ball in his hands most of the game and rarely making bad decisions............ I can keep going if you want

shooting 3's and being 6'6 didn't even factor into the reason I thought he was so good😂
That sounds exactly like the Mors kid who is riding the bench at SDSU. I think Mors even had an offer from KU. I played against Aurora back in the day. The level of competition in class B is nowhere near that of class A. I didn't see this kid play in high school. You might be right but it's odd that IF he was such a stud Creighton, NU and ISU all passed on him. I respect your opinion but hindsight is 20/20. Interestingly the morning show on 590 was talking about the subject of guys who weren't offered out of high school and wound up at Creighton. One thing they agreed about is that not only did those guys get better at their smaller school but that they got better from their first to second year at Creighton.

That sounds exactly like the Mors kid who is riding the bench at SDSU. I think Mors even had an offer from KU. I played against Aurora back in the day. The level of competition in class B is nowhere near that of class A. I didn't see this kid play in high school. You might be right but it's odd that IF he was such a stud Creighton, NU and ISU all passed on him. I respect your opinion but hindsight is 20/20. Interestingly the morning show on 590 was talking about the subject of guys who weren't offered out of high school and wound up at Creighton. One thing they agreed about is that not only did those guys get better at their smaller school but that they got better from their first to second year at Creighton.
Kinda hard to take your comparison seriously when Mors has played a ton as both a starter and a bench player, and is projected by most insiders to start at PF next season. Nebraska would take him on the roster in a heartbeat.

Kinda hard to take your comparison seriously when Mors has played a ton as both a starter and a bench player, and is projected by most insiders to start at PF next season. Nebraska would take him on the roster in a heartbeat.
By the end of this year his minutes were cut dramatically. With their transfers out he’s going to have to start for them next year.

By the end of this year his minutes were cut dramatically. With their transfers out he’s going to have to start for them next year.
SDSU has a fantastic mid-major program. They’re not starting anyone because “they have to.” But stick to your agenda.

Something in the water when it comes to Aurora. It has always produced good athletes and their teams are well coached as well.

Something in the water when it comes to Aurora. It has always produced good athletes and their teams are well coached as well.
They won the state B basketball championships my senior year. They had a couple of really good players. Seems like both were class B all staters but neither played D-1 basketball. Erlenbush and Cranfill or something like that.

Reactions: Wasker77
Went this yr to see my Grandson Hastings Middle School play Aurora 7th graders! Aurora had a couple of tall young men by my limited knowledge with good fundamentals by their Senior yr, they should be pretty good at the small school level!😆

My son's junior legion team played against Aurora last summer, and Scheierman's little brother was the starting pitcher. He's like 6'7" or something too. Let's just say I hope basketball works out for him!

At that time, Fred's recruiting was being done by an assistant who knew nothing about Nebraska high school basketball and didn't want to know. And the assistant almost got Fred fired.

But having watched Baylor in high school, Baylor was an unproven defensive player. He was a good shooter with range, very smart, athletic and an unbelievable passer with elite court vision. But alas like most Nebraska kids, he had to go elsewhere to prove himself. And it's a shame because he would have had an amazing career at Nebraska

Once could argue that a player like Scheierman got the chance to develop by playing early for SDSU and would have spent more time on the bench in Lincoln or Omaha early in his career.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT