ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line Recruiting 2012-2016

kaz36

Nebraska Legend
Staff
May 2, 2005
I think that we can all agree for our team to be elite or as close to elite as we can be, we need to have better play in the trenches. I truly believe that Mike Riley and Co. want to be a physical football team and be able to run the ball and set up the run. Yes, I know we are recruiting wide receivers like crazy, but that is also to try to fill a hole that will be left by this years graduating class. Here is a look at the OL class from 2012 until 2016:

Paul Thurston(no longer here)
Corey Whitaker-Backup

Gabe Miller-Believe he was a long snapper?
Zach Hannon-Non contributor
David Knevel-Has started some, but underwhelming
Matt Finnin-Non contributor-No longer on team
Chongo Kondolo-JUCO who lost his starting job.
Dwayne Johnson-Non Contributor

Tanner Farmer-Starter
Mick Stoltenburg-Moved to DL
DJ Foster-Starter
Nick Gates-Starter

Christian Gaylord-TBD
Michael Decker-TBD
Jalin Barnett-TBD
Jordan Ober-Long Snapper

Brian Brokop-TBD
John Raridon-TBD
Boe Wilson-TBD
Matt Farniok-TBD

Looking at this, the 2012 and 2013 classes were a complete disaster from OL recruiting standpoint and I believe has directly led to some of the issues we currently have on the OL. We basically got 2 or 3 backups from these classes and that is it. The recruits from these two classes are the ones that you would expect to be starting right now. The ship was righted some in 2014 with a class of good contributors. It looks to me like the current staff understands how important it is to win in the trenches and put together a couple good OL classes(on paper) and are trying to do this again this year. Tackle is the most pressing need in this class IMO. We can't afford misses like 2012 and 2013 if we are going to try to get back to championship status again.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

Yes - and same thing for the DL, you could do the same thing on the defensive side and tell the same story. Starters were 1 senior, a walk-on, a converted TE and a promising rFR.

Anyone have any idea how quick our LBs were from the past 2 recruiting classes? We need more speed at this position in my opinion. Love our guys - but would love to see guys who can fly.

...and Happy Thanksgiving to you too Kaz

While I like the three verbals we have on the OL thus far, Cav really needs to close on an elite level OT.

Reactions: GBRhuskers
I think that we can all agree for our team to be elite or as close to elite as we can be, we need to have better play in the trenches. I truly believe that Mike Riley and Co. want to be a physical football team and be able to run the ball and set up the run. Yes, I know we are recruiting wide receivers like crazy, but that is also to try to fill a hole that will be left by this years graduating class. Here is a look at the OL class from 2012 until 2016:

Paul Thurston(no longer here)
Corey Whitaker-Backup

Gabe Miller-Believe he was a long snapper?
Zach Hannon-Non contributor
David Knevel-Has started some, but underwhelming
Matt Finnin-Non contributor-No longer on team
Chongo Kondolo-JUCO who lost his starting job.
Dwayne Johnson-Non Contributor

Tanner Farmer-Starter
Mick Stoltenburg-Moved to DL
DJ Foster-Starter
Nick Gates-Starter

Christian Gaylord-TBD
Michael Decker-TBD
Jalin Barnett-TBD
Jordan Ober-Long Snapper

Brian Brokop-TBD
John Raridon-TBD
Boe Wilson-TBD
Matt Farniok-TBD

Looking at this, the 2012 and 2013 classes were a complete disaster from OL recruiting standpoint and I believe has directly led to some of the issues we currently have on the OL. We basically got 2 or 3 backups from these classes and that is it. The recruits from these two classes are the ones that you would expect to be starting right now. The ship was righted some in 2014 with a class of good contributors. It looks to me like the current staff understands how important it is to win in the trenches and put together a couple good OL classes(on paper) and are trying to do this again this year. Tackle is the most pressing need in this class IMO. We can't afford misses like 2012 and 2013 if we are going to try to get back to championship status again.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

O-line has been an issue for 15 plus years. We use to have all American and all conf. Lineman every year. The last all American on the o-line was funoti
in 2002, and the last 1st team all conf. Player was incognito in 2003 (per huskers.com)

Reactions: Redwalla
Need depth on both sides. Would think for the next couple of classes, 3-4 on each side is min, more like 4-5 each. Yes that is potentially a larger share of the schollys than might want but need guys that have the natural skills to get ranked as high as possible and come in and challenge for playing time. If guys don't get it done and not moving up the 2 deep, well get them their degree in four years.

Yes - and same thing for the DL, you could do the same thing on the defensive side and tell the same story. Starters were 1 senior, a walk-on, a converted TE and a promising rFR.

Anyone have any idea how quick our LBs were from the past 2 recruiting classes? We need more speed at this position in my opinion. Love our guys - but would love to see guys who can fly.

...and Happy Thanksgiving to you too Kaz

I was interested in the DL recruiting after reading your post. Here is what our classes were:

Vincent Valentine-Starter and now in the NFL. Motor was questioned here at times.
Aaron Curry-Played a lot as a Freshman-Transferred to TCU and is a starter I believe.
Avery Moss-Couldnt keep his johnson in his pants and was kicked out of school
Greg McMullen-contributor who decided to retire from football. Would have been nice to have.

Dimyra Mixon-Transferred and at Tennessee I believe
Ernest Suttles-Kicked off team. At Memphis?
Randy Gregory-JUCO in NFL and currently suspended. Puff puff pass.
AJ Natter-Pretty much a non contributor so far.
Maliek Collins-Major contributor and starter. Left early for NFL. With the Cowboys.
Kevin Maurice-Major contributor. Starter in 2016. Injuries a factor prior.

Deandre Wills-No factor. Is he still on the team?
Sedrick King-Pretty much a non factor.
Joe Keels-JUCO. Pretty much non factor.
Payton Newell. Recruited as DE, moved to DT. Non factor so far.
There were no DT's recruited in this class. Stotenberg moved from OL to DT.

Alex Davis-TBD
Daishon Neal-TBD
Khalil Davis-TBD
Carlos Davis-Part time/full time starter. Major Contributor.

Quayshon Alexander-TBD
Ben Stille-TBD

Kind of a mixed bag here. 2014 looks like a disaster year here. Nobody left from 2012, but did get good contributions from VV and decent playing time from McMullen. 2016 could hurt as we recruited no DT's and part of the reason the DL coach was shown the door.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT