ADVERTISEMENT

4-15 Second transfer portal. OT?

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
College football's second transfer portal window officially opens on April 15 and runs through April 30.
Nebraska: Help in the Trenches
New coach Matt Rhule already has one of the Big Ten's top portal classes with 11 additions, including quarterback Jeff Sims (Georgia Tech), receiver Billy Kemp IV (Virginia), tight end Arik Gilbert (Georgia) and a couple of offensive linemen. If Rhule finds the right fit, adding a body or two on the offensive line (especially at tackle) would fill a need. Texas A&M transfer Elijah Jeudy was a key get on the defensive side in the first window, but similar to the offense, the Cornhuskers could look for more help or depth in the trenches.

There will be lots of action after the spring game as guys look for schools where they can play. Not sure we need an OT, but I’d take one. Still need to trim about 12 more guys by Fall though I believe, right?

Reactions: JOHNNY N
They were obviously shopping for portal OL before spring practice. Assuming the emergence of Gottula as potential depth, it would be wise to hold off on adding a portal OT. Any immediate help portal OT available after the spring will be highly coveted and difficult to get. With scholarship numbers as they are, it doesn't make sense to bring in any portal OT's that would be considered a reach.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
We will most likely never get a starting tackle from the portal. Not until we win games.

We better hope we can recruit and develop one soon. I have faith they can do that but this is going to take some time.
One issue, like it or not, is that we have Teddy, Corcoran, and Benhart all returning. Older and more experienced OT's want to transfer to where there's no returning starter.

We have to go with these guys and hope that they get better under new coaching.

Reactions: ssmill777
One issue, like it or not, is that we have Teddy, Corcoran, and Benhart all returning. Older and more experienced OT's want to transfer to where there's no returning starter.

I was listening to some talking heads today and they reminded me that every year NU was young on talent because a lot of the experienced players transferred out under Frost... I think with the new staff the older players will stay and help with the experience of the team. No O-Line can be good with mostly young players...

Agree. Justs adds to the reasons not to transfer to Nebraska.

College football's second transfer portal window officially opens on April 15 and runs through April 30.
Nebraska: Help in the Trenches
New coach Matt Rhule already has one of the Big Ten's top portal classes with 11 additions, including quarterback Jeff Sims (Georgia Tech), receiver Billy Kemp IV (Virginia), tight end Arik Gilbert (Georgia) and a couple of offensive linemen. If Rhule finds the right fit, adding a body or two on the offensive line (especially at tackle) would fill a need. Texas A&M transfer Elijah Jeudy was a key get on the defensive side in the first window, but similar to the offense, the Cornhuskers could look for more help or depth in the trenches.
Add this big fella to our OT lineup..

Chris Walker started at Montana at LT - wonder if any interest to come back and be a decent backup. I always hated when he was working with the DL at Nebraska.

I also think the previous staffs did terrible at having a true LB...we will be in trouble if Reimer/Henrich get hurt again. We have some 'edge' type tweeners but need more true tacklers.

Last edited:
Chris Walker started at Montana at LT - wonder if any interest to come back and be a decent backup. I always hated when he was working with the DL at Nebraska.

I also think the previous staffs did terrible at having a true LB...we will be in trouble if Reimer/Henrich get hurt again. We have some 'edge' type tweeners but need more true tacklers.
Walker would be a 7th year Sr if he was granted eligibility. I don’t think we want to go there.

We need to cut some weight. Hopefully Rhule gets real with some of these guys especially the ones “injured” during spring that never play. Smells like they are trying to skate under the radar

Probably very true; however NIL money might turn a head or two.

Walker would be a 7th year Sr if he was granted eligibility. I don’t think we want to go there.

We need to cut some weight. Hopefully Rhule gets real with some of these guys especially the ones “injured” during spring that never play. Smells like they are trying to skate under the radar
Isn't Rhule allowed to cut 10 players from the team who can stay on a scholarship since this is his first year? Seems like someone brought this up before. So the players can give up football or transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT