ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic Thread, Summer Filler...

Spooked

Walk On
Jun 1, 2024
Since we are in the offseason, and things are really slow. Do you guys have any recommendations for summer entertainment? Obviously, we're all excited for NCAA Football, but that is still another month away, Elden Ring drops a DLC in a week or so, that will be something good. There don't seem to be any good movies out, or coming out, there is only so much time that I want to spend at the lake (I feel like I've maxed that out already), traveling isn't something that I really want to do during the summer, usually it's too hot and busy. I guess what else is there? What are you guys up to this summer?

Since we are in the offseason, and things are really slow. Do you guys have any recommendations for summer entertainment? Obviously, we're all excited for NCAA Football, but that is still another month away, Elden Ring drops a DLC in a week or so, that will be something good. There don't seem to be any good movies out, or coming out, there is only so much time that I want to spend at the lake (I feel like I've maxed that out already), traveling isn't something that I really want to do during the summer, usually it's too hot and busy. I guess what else is there? What are you guys up to this summer?
Can't help you. Too much water time has never been a problem for me. If it was I would just fill it with drinking.

As far as movies I recently saw Mad Max - Furiosa and I really enjoyed it. Decent storyline, incredible machines, great costuming, scary dystopian future, etc.

My wife and I were the ONLY ones in the theater so even at $7+ for a small drink they still lost money.

I'm struggling to think what I do in the summer outside of occasional kayak adventures at area lakes. We do our vacationing in the fall & spring mostly.

Reactions: Spooked
Do you guys have any recommendations for summer entertainment?
Get a motorcycle and cruise the local round-a-bouts, get your family and/or friends to do a putt-putt tournament, get deep into AI, volunteer, go on a cycle of 'roids and get yolked, buy an old muscle van and airbrush some epic fantasy art on the side (I'm talkin' bossomy Medusa astride a skeletal Pegasus hurling lighting bolts!), make mixed tapes, hit up the local pool to chase the muff around. The Summer is for getting after it! Good luck.

I go on daily early morning or later evening walks. I am doing a little volunteering. I also enjoy playing basketball with friends a couple times a week. Hoping to go to Colorado for a vacation.

I feel for the fans that are already posting like Nebraska is playing meaningful games during the season.

The last 3-4 years have taught me to relax, enjoy life, and place less importance on things I can’t control like Nebraska football.

8227e048-fd76-4de7-a026-7320b8fe547a_text.gif

Last edited:
Mowing my lawn and drinking beer afterwards

Reactions: Huskers123456
I went back to Nebraska over Memorial Day weekend and the wife just got back from North Carolina visiting her mom. We are going to the Jackalope Jamboree in Pendleton in a couple of weeks. Randy Rogers, Jason Boland and Cody Canada are playing the night we are there, I will be back in Pendleton in early September for the rodeo. Great rodeo and it is on the high school's grass football field. Quick trip to Montana in August. Going to a wedding in Cape May, NJ that has a Nebraska connection. We figure we will never have a better chance to see Manhattan and since we are flying into Newark we will spend some time there. The wife always goes to Dave Matthews when he plays at nearby Gorge Amphitheater over Labor Day weekend. The dogs and I have isolated spot on the Columbia we will play around in the water with kayaks.

Teach summer school and run a few camps. Other than that, I miss my old summer breaks of hanging around the pool, day drinking, getting a great tan and just planning out where me and my friends would be going for drinks 2-3 nights a week.

How does the saying go? The days are long but the years are short.

I used to avoid leisure travel in the summer because of the crowds, but lately I’m rethinking that. Now that school attendance is essentially optional and the summer travel season starts in March, it seems like crowds have shifted. Last August I had to do a lot of business travel and the airports were pretty dead.

Made new wood grips for a monkey wrench from the 50's whose grips were shot and honestly dangerous. Used a grinding wheel to get some random divots in there and used a torch to add some color then lacquer it up to make it shiny.

Like Vin says go make something, volunteer especially if you're retired. I like kayaking too and next project is to add sails and outriggers to my cheapo 100 dollar kayak just because.

Pickleball. Very Addicting.

Go Noodling.

Get a motorcycle and cruise the local round-a-bouts, get your family and/or friends to do a putt-putt tournament, get deep into AI, volunteer, go on a cycle of 'roids and get yolked, buy an old muscle van and airbrush some epic fantasy art on the side (I'm talkin' bossomy Medusa astride a skeletal Pegasus hurling lighting bolts!), make mixed tapes, hit up the local pool to chase the muff around. The Summer is for getting after it! Good luck.
Aside from round-a-bouts and AI, this was pretty much every summer during my high school years in the 80's...

Reactions: cornhustler
Aside from round-a-bouts and AI, this was pretty much every summer during my high school years in the 80's...

I don't get their obsession with roundabouts either, must be an inside joke here.

I dabbled in AI for a couple of days when they released it to the public, but quickly lost interest.

I was a youth in the 80's, but it seems like it was way better than the present.

I’m putting together a book detailing the best and worst roundabouts in Nebraska.
If you want some inspiration, although not in Nebraska, go through the ones at Hays, KS. Remarkable is all I can say. We were just through there this week and we learn something new each time we venture through them.

There are so many roundabouts there and so many signs, perhaps someone needs to name each one and sponsor it with a sign and monthly naming fee.

My wife and I prepare for Vacation Bible School by working all the sets for the week. It takes months to prepare, a week to put together, a week of VBS and one hour to tear it all down.

We cut/trimmed trees on the family farm in western KS and have all the scratched up arms and legs to show for it but a nice looking wind break and a walking path through a large area of trees.

Gave some advice and mentoring to a new Christian/homeschool hybrid that is just getting started. They need a principal but I said I would help whoever wants to learn that gig, but not doing it.

Showing my side of the family how to track track their families through Find a Grave and other resources if they want to know more about their family history. This all in a family reunion in McCook the 22nd of June. We can trace our family name back to the 1400's but it is a rather famous or infamous name so it isn't too difficult.

I don't get their obsession with roundabouts either, must be an inside joke here.

I dabbled in AI for a couple of days when they released it to the public, but quickly lost interest.

I was a youth in the 80's, but it seems like it was way better than the present.
Was it though? I was a youth in the 80's and we did not have places like Urban Air where you can bounce on amazing trampolines and climb walls and shit like that.

We did not have cool ass inflatable water slides that we could just set up in the backyard (we did have a slip and slide)

I did not have the ability to listen to any song I wanted at any second, unless I owned the tape. If not, just had to hope it came on the radio.

There was literally NOTHING to watch during the day except for soap operas.

Had almost no chance to find my friends unless I was with them first thing in the morning.

I suppose we had malls, those were kind of fun.

Anything we could do back then, kids can do today and more.

My wife and I prepare for Vacation Bible School by working all the sets for the week. It takes months to prepare, a week to put together, a week of VBS and one hour to tear it all down.

We cut/trimmed trees on the family farm in western KS and have all the scratched up arms and legs to show for it but a nice looking wind break and a walking path through a large area of trees.

Gave some advice and mentoring to a new Christian/homeschool hybrid that is just getting started. They need a principal but I said I would help whoever wants to learn that gig, but not doing it.

Showing my side of the family how to track track their families through Find a Grave and other resources if they want to know more about their family history. This all in a family reunion in McCook the 22nd of June. We can trace our family name back to the 1400's but it is a rather famous or infamous name so it isn't too difficult.
Bundy? Yeah, that kind of sucks.

Was it though? I was a youth in the 80's and we did not have places like Urban Air where you can bounce on amazing trampolines and climb walls and shit like that.

We did not have cool ass inflatable water slides that we could just set up in the backyard (we did have a slip and slide)

I did not have the ability to listen to any song I wanted at any second, unless I owned the tape. If not, just had to hope it came on the radio.

Had almost no chance to find my friends unless I was with them first thing in the morning.

That's exactly what I miss, not having everything available all the time. I miss not knowing stuff, I miss having limited access to music, the town I grew up in still doesn't have an urban outfitters, I had friends who had those big trampolines, I miss the uncertainty, I miss the mystery.

As long as we can keep electricity, and plumbing, I'd be willing to part with the Internet, trampoline facilities, wall climbing facilities, streaming, spotify, you know just pretty much all of it.

I don't know if you are familiar with the video game Assassin's Creed. Modern life reminds me of that game.

I understand that most people are dependent on the conveniences of modern life.

Reactions: vin5000

I think all the stuff we have today is cool, but it doesn't make life meaningfully better. At the very least, I think the law of diminishing returns is in full effect... As we advance further and further technologically and economically, I think the returns on quality of life are diminishing.

Sometimes I wonder how being able to have whatever we want whenever we want it (relatively speaking) changes us as people.

I think all the stuff we have today is cool, but it doesn't make life meaningfully better. At the very least, I think the law of diminishing returns is in full effect... As we advance further and further technologically and economically, I think the returns on quality of life are diminishing.

Sometimes I wonder how being able to have whatever we want whenever we want it (relatively speaking) changes us as people.
I mean, you can always find out! Just give up anything you have that is from after 1989?? Hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: Huskers123456
Mister, I like the cut of your jib.

Reactions: cornhustler
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT