NU WR class ranked 3rd Nationally....

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by HBK4life, Feb 12, 2020.

1. HBK4life

HBK4life Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

2. slwags

slwags Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I doubt two of them even make it to campus.

3. timnsun

timnsun Offensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Good idea, let’s make this feel-good thread a crappy thread right off the bat. Because we don’t need any positivity on this board. Whenever positivity happens, shout it down!

4. gw2kpro

gw2kpro Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

Which two?

5. baseball31ne

baseball31ne Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Who amongst Betts, Manning, Fleming, or Nixon? Or did Manning make it already to campus?

6. Lincoln100

Lincoln100 Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

I doubt that you have a wiener

7. HuskerHusaria

HuskerHusaria Senior
    Expand Collapse

Go get 'em Frost!!!

bigredhunter likes this.
  8. inWV

inWV Recruiting Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Manning and Betts (while beating a dead horse).

9. huskerssalts

huskerssalts Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

both Betts and Manning are already on path to make it. It’s why they were both allowed to sign. Frost went and visited both schools and seen how they were doing and if it looked like they’d make it or not. After seeing how they were doing, Frost allowed both to sign. Only way they don’t make it is if they give up all of sudden and stop working hard this final stretch (which I don’t see happening after making it this far). Every WR will be here come fall, mark it down.

9 huskerssalts, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    John_J_Rambo likes this.
  10. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

Im extremely excited to see this group of WRs along with last years group of WRs grow up in our system under Frost and Lubick. 8 4 star WRs in the past two recruiting classes. Manning will be an instant help and upgrade at WR with his 6’3-6’4 225 pound frame and some say Betts could play immediately too if he can pick up the play book fast enough.

bshirt73 and dinglefritz like this.
  11. blackshirts

blackshirts Walk On
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If Mo Washington can make it then Betts will

12. huskerssalts

Expand Collapse

well those that missed it, here it is again.

On the path academically, Betts signs with Huskers

• by Brian Christopherson
    • Dec 19, 1:42 PM
    [​IMG]

Bellevue West's talented wide receiver Zavier Betts has carried his on-field momentum to the classroom, enough so that he's on a path where Nebraska coaches extended an opportunity for Betts to sign in the early period this week.

The four-star talent Betts took the Nebraska coaches up on that offer, and became a Husker by signing his letter of intent on Thursday. There will be a signing ceremony at Bellevue West at 7:30 on Friday morning.

"We've been very upfront with the guys at Nebraska. We feel very comfortable about the path that Zavier's on," Bellevue West coach Michael Huffman told Husker247. "It's kind of funny because these little things, going from a C to a B or a B to an A, actually makes a huge difference in GPA. And Zavier in a couple classes has really surprised us. So that made a nice jump for him. He's just been doing a really, really good job."

Husker head coach Scott Frost was at Bellevue West in October, and hung out at the school for about 90 minutes, and was talking to everyone he could. And Nebraska staffers have kept a close eye since on the progress Betts was making toward reaching the marks he needed.

"Coach Frost, or someone in the football offices, called our guidance counselor after the latest grades – because we're in our finals today and tomorrow – and asked what they were. And they obviously liked what they heard, so they called Zavier and asked him if he would sign this week to be a part of this special class. I mean, they knocked it out of the park yesterday, and I think they want to keep rolling with that momentum."

Betts is coming off being part of a state championship team at Bellevue West, in which he contributed 1,185 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns on 64 catches. One of the best local wide receiver talents to come out of Nebraska in some time, he's No. 107 on the 247Sports composite rankings, and represents the 10th four-star in the class of 23 to sign early for Frost's program.

The 6-2, 195-pound Betts totaled 3,330 receiving yards in his career, and dazzled at camps like the Friday Night Lights event in Lincoln this summer, highlighting himself as someone the Huskers needed to have. He'll join a promising recruiting class of receivers that includes ballyhooed JUCO star Omar Manning, as well as Will Nixon, Alante Brown and Marcus Fleming from the high school ranks.

It has been known for a while that Betts had some ground to cover academically to be able to sign with Nebraska. The recruit has been meeting the challenge so far.

"I'm just so proud of him, man," Huffman said. "Early in his career, it was always an excuse this, an excuse that. Well now, if something doesn't quite go the way we want it to go, he's owning it. I've been working with kids for 22 years and when they start owning it themselves rather than placing blame, that's when real change happens."

The work isn't done. By signing, it's only heightening the stakes.

"He still has to stay the path. If he signs and he slips second semester, then it's all for naught. We have too much pride for that here as competitors, both Zavier Betts and Bellevue West. We're going to be all over it. I actually like this move. I know it's a risk. But I like this move because man, what Coach Frost and that staff just did, it shows from them that they believe in him. And the power of belief in a lot of these young men is what they need."

Huffman could see the sadness Betts had that he probably wasn't going to be able to sign on Wednesday when most did. Betts understood why the situation was that way, but it still stung. Betts would often text his coach along the way, "Where am I at?"

This time, with this news, he met his coach with a sheepish grin.

"It made my heart melt," Huffman said. "I'm not just a football coach. I'm a dad too, and I have my own children. Your heart hurts when you see them sad and your heart is awesome when you see them happy. I'm glad I have an awesome heart right now."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...ing-with-Nebraska-early-period-140859038/Amp/

SkerInCo likes this.
  13. Sass1

Sass1 Newbie
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nope there just haters

14. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Iowa wouldnt go near such a recruit. No huge success stories there!
    Sound familiar?

15. husker2612

husker2612 Graduate Assistant
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I agree. I don't see them having issues unless like you said they completely give up. Which I hope they realize what is at stake and continue to work their asses off for another few months.

WestCoastCornhusker2 likes this.
  16. slwags

slwags Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

Listened to Schafer this morning and he said it may be late July before we know if Manning will make it here.

17. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Why is that ?

18. slwags

slwags Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I am assuming he will need summer school.

19. scarletred

scarletred Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

I get that but after summer school he should he able to make it to Lincoln by fall camp..

20. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

Like Mo, or others. Has some work to do, do well in some classes he didn't do well in to up his average.
    He'll be here

yunginsNU2 likes this.
  21. WestCoastCornhusker2

Expand Collapse

22. WestCoastCornhusker2

Expand Collapse

Dang, terrible news.

23. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

He isn't a frosh who's never played big boy football. He shouldn't need much more than fall practice.
    He will miss out on some summer SnC

24. phoenix4nu

phoenix4nu Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

The fact that his eligibility is uncertain is what is bad.

WestCoastCornhusker2 likes this.
  25. NorthwoodHusker

Expand Collapse

I get that part, and if it Bo,MR,BC I would be uncomfortable. That's not SF's MO though.