ADVERTISEMENT

NU-Northwestern baseball

So...I wonder if the AD's "list" is firmly planted in his closed desk drawer, if the drawer is cracked open, fully open, or if the list is in Bill's hand being looked at.

Nebraska baseball, with the exception of the you know who years, has been at best so-so to just ok, and unless DVH or a close clone comes to Lincoln one day, when Erstad is gone, it won't get much better, if it gets better at all.

Nebraska baseball, with the exception of the you know who years, has been at best so-so to just ok, and unless DVH or a close clone comes to Lincoln one day, when Erstad is gone, it won't get much better, if it gets better at all.
If that's true, why can other B1G teams do better with less investment in the program? Your statement is pure ignorance and idiocy and contradicted by success elsewhere in the conference.

If that's true, why can other B1G teams do better with less investment in the program? Your statement is pure ignorance and idiocy and contradicted by success elsewhere in the conference.
u
Let's see, idiot, it took a GREAT coach that comes along ONCE in Nebraska's history to make them good. The chances of that happening again are pretty slim. And just because some B1G teams have success, it doesn't mean they're getting on the big stage and winning national titles, something that hasn't happened with BIG teams since 1964 when Minnesota won it.

You can dislike my comments all you want, but I'm right on the money and until proven otherwise down the road, deal with it because that's Nebraska baseball reality. The south and out west own college baseball and will for the foreseeable future, doubt Nebraska will have much impact on that.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
u
Let's see, idiot, it took a GREAT coach that comes along ONCE in Nebraska's history to make them good. The chances of that happening again are pretty slim. And just because some B1G teams have success, it doesn't mean they're getting on the big stage and winning national titles, something that hasn't happened with BIG teams since 1964 when Minnesota won it.

You can dislike my comments all you want, but I'm right on the money and until proven otherwise down the road, deal with it because that's Nebraska baseball reality.
You completely ignored what I said. I will ask again, if you have trouble reading what I wrote before. Why can other B1G schools have more success than we are having now with less investment in the program? Who is asking for national championships? Who is even asking for CWS appearances? We just want the same level of success at least that some of these other teams are having. Going better than 1-6 over 3 regional appearances. Actually making the Super Regionals. Winning the conference more than once in 8 years. Other B1G teams that are less invested in their programs than we are are doing that more often than we are. You said we can't expect to be any better than we are now. Other B1G teams are better than we are now on a consistent basis. Why can't we expect to be as good or better than them?

It might happen one day, but that may be a long time in coming, and that in a nutshell is what I said earlier. Look at the history of Nebraska baseball and then see the one blip on the radar of 4 years where DVH had success. If Nebraska gets another like him, then you'll see the results you pine for. Until that person comes along, don't expect a whole lot more than what you're seeing now.

People see it all the time with college teams, whether it's in basketball, baseball, football. The new coach comes along with some promise of much better results, but it doesn't turn out that way. You want better, then Nebraska needs a much better than average coach to get it done in baseball, simple as that.

And your CWS comment is funny. What fan, coach, or player wouldn't want to see their team get there? Team sports is an end game, and that end game is getting to championship games and winning occasionally. To not ask your program to get there sometime is ludicrous.
This is really amazing. Twice now, you have failed to answer a simple question I have asked you. I don't know how much simpler I can make it. Why can other teams in the B1G have more success than us? It is not a tough question, but you ignore it. YOU were the one that said that we can't expect to be any better than we are now. I have pointed out that other B1G teams ARE better than we are now and are doing things consistently that we aren't doing. Yet, you say we can't be any better than we are now. Why? Why can't we do what other teams in the conference do? It is a simple question.

And who says we don't want to make the CWS? Who says we don't want to make the Final Four in basketball? Nobody. But we aren't demanding that level of success right now. We aren't upset with Erstad's job performance because he's not getting us to the CWS. We're upset because he can't even get us anywhere remotely close to it. We're upset because we have 3 regional appearances in 7 years and doing everything we can to play us out of a 4th one this year. We're upset because we are only 1-6 in those 3 regional appearances. We're upset because we look listless and lost against a perennial bottom dweller in the conference and make their average to bad pitchers look like the best in the country. We're upset because we go through a stretch like this every single year since he's been the coach. To say we can't do any better than that is just ludicrous when there are other programs in this conference that are doing better than that. You are setting up a false choice-as if there's DVH level of success and what we are doing now-like there's nothing in between.

Last edited:
Just as an example of Erstad's complete inability to coach, in the 2016 regional, Nebraska lost to 4th seeded Western Carolina. Obviously, a team that makes it to a regional can't be COMPLETE garbage, but still, it's not too much to ask for Nebraska to beat a 4-seed.

Western Carolina lost their first game of that Clemson regional to the host school by a score of 24-10. Clemson's a good team, so I don't go into that game expecting Nebraska to do anything like that, but still think it should be winnable. Western Carolina used 7 pitchers in that loss, so we should be at an advantage! Oh shit, Nebraska loses to Western Carolina 4-1. 1 f**king run against a team that gave up 24 the previous day. Maybe Western Carolina has found their stride! Oh, nope, they lose 15-3 the next game. They gave up 39 f**king runs in 2 games, and 1 against Nebraska. And that was one of Erstad's supposedly "good" teams.

It's funny because John Sanders had the same kind of relentless apologists who wanted him enshrined for life, for the same reason: Nebraska baseball will never be any better than it is now, just yew wait 'n' see!!!

And while I would not expect the next coach to take NU baseball to nearly the heights those Van Horn-coached teams reached, there is no reason this program can't at least be a frequent favorite to win the Big Ten - and actually win it every 2-3 years. But hey, maybe shaking Erstad's hand at booster events really does give people that much of a rush.

So was the team that got jettisoned by Yale and a sub-.500 Holy Cross team.
Oh I know, that was just one example that I hoped was easy to follow :eek:

I think it's obligatory to point out that not only did the mighty 2017 regular season champions of the Big 10 lose to Yale and Holy Cross, but that both teams offer absolutely no scholarships to any of their players whatsoever. Also not surprising that Nebraska only managed to score 1 run against Yale. But they then exploded for 4 runs against Holy Cross (putting up 2 "garbage time" runs in the 8th trailing 7-2). Obviously this quadrupling of their average run output in a regional game was hailed as tremendous progress by the relentless apologists o_O

This is really amazing. Twice now, you have failed to answer a simple question I have asked you. I don't know how much simpler I can make it. Why can other teams in the B1G have more success than us? It is not a tough question, but you ignore it. YOU were the one that said that we can't expect to be any better than we are now. I have pointed out that other B1G teams ARE better than we are now and are doing things consistently that we aren't doing. Yet, you say we can't be any better than we are now. Why? Why can't we do what other teams in the conference do? It is a simple question.

And who says we don't want to make the CWS? Who says we don't want to make the Final Four in basketball? Nobody. But we aren't demanding that level of success. We aren't upset with Erstad's job performance because he's not getting us to the CWS. We're upset because he can't even get us anywhere remotely close to it. We're upset because we have 3 regional appearances in 7 years and doing everything we can to play us out of a 4th one this year. We're upset because we are only 1-6 in those 3 regional appearances. We're upset because we look listless and lost against a perennial bottom dweller in the conference and make their average to bad pitchers look like the best in the country. We're upset because we go through a stretch like this every single year.

I answered the question (in my first comment that you responded to), you just can't get past your own drivel. Get a better coach, a much better coach like Dave Van Horn, and you'll have the success and consistency that you want. Nebraska might not win the conference every year (Van Horn won it only once) but a coach like him or close to it will reap those results more often, or at least get you the "something in between" you so badly desire.

If Nebraska fires Erstad, or if he leaves on his own, then you would think a proven winner to be at the top of the list and hired, and even then that coach might not lift Nebraska baseball much higher than Erstad. The Tony Sharpe/John Sanders years were very typical of what Nebraska baseball is, the Van Horn/early Mike Anderson years were an outlier, so until a like coach of DVH's ability comes along, Nebraska baseball will continue to be the Sharpe/Sanders/Erstad show. You can expect a lot of things out of Nebraska baseball, it doesn't mean your expectations are going to be met.

And you're the one who said "who is even asking for CWS appearances" and then follows it up with "who says we don't want to make the CWS?" GEEZUS! Talk about ignorance and idiocy.

Last edited:
I answered the question (in my first comment that you responded to), you just can't get past your own drivel. Get a better coach, a much better coach like Dave Van Horn, and you'll have the success and consistency that you want. Nebraska might not win the conference every year (Van Horn won it only once) but a coach like him or close to it will reap those results more often, or at least get you the "something in between" you so badly desire.

If Nebraska fires Erstad, or if he leaves on his own, then you would think a proven winner to be at the top of the list and hired, and even then that coach might not lift Nebraska baseball much higher than Erstad. The Tony Sharpe/John Sanders years were very typical of what Nebraska baseball is, the Van Horn/early Mike Anderson years were an outlier, and until a like coach of DVH's ability comes along, Nebraska baseball will continue to be the Sharpe/Sanders/Erstad show. You can expect a lot of things out of Nebraska baseball, it doesn't mean your expectations are going to be met.

And you're the one who said "who is even asking for CWS appearances" and then follows it up with "who says we don't want to make the CWS?" GEEZUS! Talk about ignorance and idiocy.
I can't believe I'm even responding to this because you're being purposefully obtuse-but I'll explain something that should be obvious to anybody. Saying we aren't asking for CWS appearances, is not the same thing as saying we don't care about making the CWS. It goes to what your demands are. We are not demanding Erstad or any other coach make the CWS-as in "you make the CWS, or else". That does not mean that is not a goal and we don't care about it. As I discussed above-we are not upset with Erstad because he isn't getting us to the CWS. We are upset because he is FAR, FAR from doing so. That does not mean "we don't want to make the CWS". Would we like to make the Final Four in basketball? Sure. That does not mean that is our demand. We aren't telling Fred Hoiberg that he needs to make the Final Four in a certain amount of time or even ever. That does not mean "we don't care about making the Final Four". Again, of course you know that, but you are being deliberately obtuse and difficult just because you want to argue.

And you obviously are not answering the question I posed to you even though you claim you did, and it's clear you won't because you don't want to admit it's true. You absolutely refuse to address or even acknowledge the greater success that other teams in the B1G are having over us. You insist that we can't do better than Erstad unless we get the second coming of DVH, and I have pointed out to you that other teams in the B1G are doing it, period. The facts are there whether you choose to acknowledge it. We can do better than Erstad, and no matter of obfuscation by you changes that.

Reactions: saluno22
u

You can dislike my comments all you want, but I'm right on the money and until proven otherwise down the road, deal with it because that's Nebraska baseball reality. The south and out west own college baseball and will for the foreseeable future, doubt Nebraska will have much impact on that.

No, you are not right on the money. Based on your responses it would appear you believe Nebraska fans expectations of the baseball program are akin to what LSU fans expect of their team.

BTW, I would guess...and he has said as much in the past...that Erstad has much higher expectation of this program than you or the average fan.

This was the same excuse that many used to say Miles needed more time or needed a lifetime contract. Stop comparing Nebraska baseball to Nebraska baseball of 1990. We arguably had the worst facilities in power 5 ball and there was minimal to zilch resources used on the program. Nobody cared from the top down. That has changed ten fold in the last couple decades.

No, you are not right on the money. Based on your responses it would appear you believe Nebraska fans expectations of the baseball program are akin to what LSU fans expect of their team.

BTW, I would guess...and he has said as much in the past...that Erstad has much higher expectation of this program than you or the average fan.

This was the same excuse that many used to say Miles needed more time or needed a lifetime contract. Stop comparing Nebraska baseball to Nebraska baseball of 1990. We arguably had the worst facilities in power 5 ball and there was minimal to zilch resources used on the program. Nobody cared from the top down. That has changed ten fold in the last couple decades.
So, you're saying that someone who's coached at Texarkana, Central Missouri State and Northwestern State might still be inclined to take a job at a Big Ten school?

Nobody has greater respect for Dave Van Horn than I do, but he wasn't exactly the hottest name in the country when Bill Byrne found him. And while playing in the Big XII definitely helped DVH land some good players from Texas and other places south, he also found great players in places like Toronto, Denver and Coon Rapids, Minnesota.

Maybe I read his posts wrong, but to me he is saying that if we can't get the next DVH, then we may as well be satisfied with Erstad. I don't see why it has to be either/or. I honestly don't expect the DVH days again as that was a mini miracle that he worked here. What I do expect is competent coaching from the whole staff and the ability to get the most they can out of the players we have. I know that being in the B10 has put us behind the 8 ball, but just because of that doesn't mean we have to settle. And settling is what it seems we have with a portion of this fanbase with Erstad and we also had with Miles. It is a loser mentality IMO.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe there is method to this madness of losing to NW?

I can see crafty Ersty purposely losing to NW to suck Arizona State into the overconfidence of believing they will come to Lincoln and punish Nebraska.

Then, BAM, Ersty and the boys bash the Sun Devils like they are a new car during rush hour in the crowded streets of downtown Delhi!

Has anyone ever thought that maybe there is method to this madness of losing to NW?

I can see crafty Ersty purposely losing to NW to suck Arizona State into the overconfidence of believing they will come to Lincoln and punish Nebraska.

Then, BAM, Ersty and the boys bash the Sun Devils like they are a new car during rush hour in the crowded streets of downtown Delhi!
More like the other way the sun devils will beat nu like a cheap drum

Woo hoo...we are now guaranteed a better than .500 record in the B1G. Talk about setting the bar high. How can we not be pumped for the future?!!

Reactions: SC_'sker
Boy, once we got past Northwestern's dominant Friday and Saturday pitchers, we looked pretty good :eek::p
And still left a whole lot of potential runs out there with 15 LOB. On the bright side though we did get double digits in hits and actually got some 2 out hits too.

And still left a whole lot of potential runs out there with 15 LOB. On the bright side though we did get double digits in hits and actually got some 2 out hits too.
Sadly I don't think it means much, seems like just about every pitcher Northwestern threw out there had an ERA over 5.70. It's very reminiscent of the Anderson era to see the team show signs of life after the series has already been lost and the pressure is off Sick

Reactions: Truehuskerfan

Wait. I thought (maybe in another thread) that you were leaving forever.
Please go, forever.

I’m confident the Huskers will get at least one win over ASU, and we will immediately be scolded for being such bad fans.
Hopefully we win 2 so we can call REALLY bad fans.Winking Hopefully we found some confidence with the sticks today because we've been awful lately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT