ADVERTISEMENT

Notre dame sell out streak set to end

+Edit...guess I should have read the article. Explains it pretty clearly and no doubt mirrors some decisions Nebraska has made over the years. Except they are still good, and we're not.

Seems like a really odd situation to fall onto that sword and lose that streak. Two teams with good records, Armed Services game with a great history. I'm guessing there are other games this season that won't sell out either.

Last edited:
Sellout streak is a nice fan accomplishment but unfortunately often has nothing to do with football success. Even in the bad days Wisconsin fans jammed their stadium mostly to sing their favorite songs. Whether you think we made a mistake or not joining the B1G, it is hard to argue with the passion of most B1G fan bases.

It used to be fun to see/hear our jammed and allegedly sold out house either on tv or in person. While we lost games it didn’t happen often and almost never were we blown out. So the place was rocking for four quarters. But in recent years it is almost pathetic to see so many people with nothing better to do than watch another bad loss for two or three quarters. Hopefully, win or lose on Saturday it is at least competitive for four quarters and all of those fans will have a blast.

Last edited:
Sellout streak is a nice fan accomplishment but unfortunately often has nothing to do with football success.

It does the exact opposite IMO. We keep filling up seats even if the performance is terrible. That gives the mentality that they don't have to earn our fandom. If we all boycotted the stadium and television sets for one game, there would be some big moves made in the right direction.

A 5 year old could have saw Martinez was making the wrong decisions against Purdue. That type of play needs to be called out, and shown no one is above making dumb mistakes over and over again.

I get it, it is a double edged sword, but something needs to change. What we are doing isn't working, and yet we keep traveling to see a below average football team. We are the loyalist fans in the country, but also the most blind

Reactions: TheNewNU
It does the exact opposite IMO. We keep filling up seats even if the performance is terrible. That gives the mentality that they don't have to earn our fandom. If we all boycotted the stadium and television sets for one game, there would be some big moves made in the right direction.

A 5 year old could have saw Martinez was making the wrong decisions against Purdue. That type of play needs to be called out, and shown no one is above making dumb mistakes over and over again.

I get it, it is a double edged sword, but something needs to change. What we are doing isn't working, and yet we keep traveling to see a below average football team. We are the loyalist fans in the country, but also the most blind
So who do we put in instead of Martinez? Vedral was injured and the emergency QB. Luke didn’t even make the trip. Bunch? Maybe, but I don’t see him giving us a better chance of winning...

If Vedral is healthy, he has looked good this year in limited action. Same with Luke. But the QB room has been a mash unit the last 4 games.

Reactions: husker2612
Easier yet, just sell them for $1 a pop to local nonprofits. Or local schools.
Right, thats what I have been saying. Nebraska doesn't want the sell out streak to end? Stop making people pay thousands of dollars for season tickets. Lower ticket prices so anyone and everyone can afford them and I guarantee people will buy them.

This would accomplish nothing.. You really think if fans quit coming to the stadium Frost is really going to make a personnel decision? Maybe he is jaded, but do you not think Frost is trying to win games? We as fans always think we know better, but at the end of the day the coach sees them day in and day out. While I agree I like Vedral better, there is no way Frost would do that.

Also, there are a lot of people who are just going to be fans no matter what and want to go to the game because they love their school. It pains me that we suck, but NU is my alma mater and I'm going to pay fly in and go to a couple of games a year even though we suck. Husker football is all I've ever know and it will continue to be that way.

You have every right not to go to the game if you are dissatisfied, but at the end of the day Frost (and I genuinely believe most coaches at NU) are not trying to lose and are doing everything they can to be successful.

The sellout streak is important to keep, players love playing in front of a full house. There is no better way to continue to support the program than by continuing to buy your season tickets.

I will continue to support the program through the current bad times and really enjoy once the huskers get back to where they belong

Right, thats what I have been saying. Nebraska doesn't want the sell out streak to end? Stop making people pay thousands of dollars for season tickets. Lower ticket prices so anyone and everyone can afford them and I guarantee people will buy them.
You can get 3rd party tickets for pretty damn cheap right now. $50 puts you 40 rows up on the 50 this weekend. $15 gets you in the endzones.

I do not get the logic behind people believing the Husker streak should end. Screw Notre Dame and the rest of the country. No one has ever been able to call us fair weather and never will!

Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football. No program has a better following. The day that aura is gone is the day our program officially dies!

This has become a great revenue stream

i paid 1500 ,750 for each seat to get season tickets this year. End zone seats mind you

Others who have been season ticket holders for 20 years paid a 200 donation for 35 yard line seats

Moos if your reading this I’m not doing this again

Reactions: husker2612
The stadium was only 85% full during the Riley years...the games are being bought up by donors and boosters, or corporate. People are tailgating outside and the numbers are being inflated. The sell-out streak is another myth like Academic All-americans, winning with honor and integrity...blah, blah...CF is one of the most insidious sports in the history of sports. It has been completely unregulated for most of its history and the winners almost universally cheat in one way or another. This is just a way for us to sell our program, but it is a lie and has been for a while.

You can get 3rd party tickets for pretty damn cheap right now. $50 puts you 40 rows up on the 50 this weekend. $15 gets you in the endzones.
Really, where? I looked at stubhub and other sites and it was $35 for crap seats. $100+ for anything decent.

The stadium was only 85% full during the Riley years...the games are being bought up by donors and boosters, or corporate. People are tailgating outside and the numbers are being inflated. The sell-out streak is another myth like Academic All-americans, winning with honor and integrity...blah, blah...CF is one of the most insidious sports in the history of sports. It has been completely unregulated for most of its history and the winners almost universally cheat in one way or another. This is just a way for us to sell our program, but it is a lie and has been for a while.
I understand that boosters and corporate have been buying tickets for awhile. I don't understand how it is not a sell out streak? Doesn't really matter how or who buys the tickets as long as they are all bought. It is still sold out, no? This has never been a butts in seats streak. I would bet there isn't a program in the country that could fill every seat, every game for even a season. Let alone 60+ years

Reactions: Sinomatic
Sellout streak is a nice fan accomplishment but unfortunately often has nothing to do with football success. Even in the bad days Wisconsin fans jammed their stadium mostly to sing their favorite songs. Whether you think we made a mistake or not joining the B1G, it is hard to argue with the passion of most B1G fan bases.

It used to be fun to see/hear our jammed and allegedly sold out house either on tv or in person. While we lost games it didn’t happen often and almost never were we blown out. So the place was rocking for four quarters. But in recent years it is almost pathetic to see so many people with nothing better to do than watch another bad loss for two or three quarters. Hopefully, win or lose on Saturday it is at least competitive for four quarters and all of those fans will have a blast.
Sellout streak is fake. Not really a fan accomplishment but an ego builder that is pointless when everyone knows the truth behind it.

The sellout streak is important to keep, players love playing in front of a full house. There is no better way to continue to support the program than by continuing to buy your season tickets.

I will continue to support the program through the current bad times and really enjoy once the huskers get back to where they belong
Then start producing results! These guys don't deserve to play in front of full crowds, with lazy play!

I have been to 2 games this year NIU and Minnesota in Minnesota. I love this school and I love Nebraska sports, I just want these players to give their all every down. That isn't happening anymore, and if we are going to pay our money to watch them play. They at the very least need to play with 100% effort.

I froze my *$$ off in Minnesota to watch a bunch of nothing. You aren't going to see Northwestern fans doing that! I feel like a sucker

Then start producing results! These guys don't deserve to play in front of full crowds, with lazy play!

I have been to 2 games this year NIU and Minnesota in Minnesota. I love this school and I love Nebraska sports, I just want these players to give their all every down. That isn't happening anymore, and if we are going to pay our money to watch them play. They at the very least need to play with 100% effort.

I froze my *$$ off in Minnesota to watch a bunch of nothing. You aren't going to see Northwestern fans doing that! I feel like a sucker
Have you made your demands known to the team? I’m sure they would have tried harder if they knew how you felt.

Reactions: nwualum

Fans not showing up to games isn't going to do anything to help. That's about the only thing we have going right now is the fans, and yes that has a huge impact over the long term.

The fact that the sellout streak is this important just shows that we have nothing else to promote. When the best aspect of your program is the number of people that buy tickets that’s pretty sad.

Reactions: Red I 73
Notre Dame's streak of 273 home sellouts is expected to end with Saturday's game against Navy, according to the school.

The streak -- the second-longest active run to Nebraska's 373, according to the South Bend Tribune --

this is one streak that hopefully can't be broken...:Cool: ever

It means nothing to recruits and only the old timers at Nebraska. Everyone in the country knows it’s bs but it’s all Nebraska has to hang its hat on. Kind of like getting a sportsmanship award rather then winning a tournament!

It means nothing to recruits and only the old timers at Nebraska. Everyone in the country knows it’s bs but it’s all Nebraska has to hang its hat on. Kind of like getting a sportsmanship award rather then winning a tournament!
What a stupid statement. When talking about Nebraska, one thing recruits always mention is the fan base. Recruits notice it. Just because you say they don’t doesn’t make it true.

Reactions: redwine65 and WHCSC
I'd trade the bogus sellout streak for a bowl game right now. Everybody knows it ended a long time ago, anyway.

Reactions: TheNewNU
I'd trade the bogus sellout streak for a bowl game right now. Everybody knows it ended a long time ago, anyway.
Except it doesn't work that way. Not selling out the stadium isn't going to make us a better team or help us win.

Sellout does not equal full attendance. A game can be sold and be empty on game day.
Are they really even sold though? What are the chances that athletic department covers a few thousands tickets each game from a "booster fund", the tickets go into this pot, the tickets are given out to corporate, which I know happens and it appears on the simple sales sheet that they have been sold. 15k people giving up hundreds of dollars just to sit out a game doesn't sound right to me.

The fact that the sellout streak is this important just shows that we have nothing else to promote. When the best aspect of your program is the number of people that buy tickets that’s pretty sad.

No, that's not true. Not one program in the country would say having a passionate fan base is sad. Even if that were their best aspect. What it means is that the program has an incredible fan base that deserves better than the garbage that is being trotted on the field year-in and year-out since TO. That is what's sad.

No, that's not true. Not one program in the country would say having a passionate fan base is sad. Even if that were their best aspect. What it means is that the program has an incredible fan base that deserves better than the garbage that is being trotted on the field year-in and year-out since TO. That is what's sad.
That is literally what my post says. Of course we want a passionate fan base but when ticket sales is your largest source of pride instead of like oh I don’t know wins or quantifiable improvement then yeah that’s sad. Your post said you disagree and then basically reworded what I said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT