ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern fan coming in peace

shakes3858

Aug 28, 2009
I see that you have renewed optimism on this board. You should try going to the Northwestern board. You'll read about how the sky is falling, our coaching staff stinks (especially on offense), our freshman QB is a loser (although he's 5-2), and my favorite we're never ever going to win another game ever. I stopped having fun reading that so I'm over here hoping to have an intelligent discussion about the football game.

Our offense is suspect. The two weakest areas are the offensive line and the WRs. It makes a QB look bad when the line can't protect him and the WRs can't get open. Pretty rough combination. Our RBs are very good especially Justin Jackson. I can't really describe why he's good. Warren Long is a bigger bruising back. Solomon Vault is the smaller speed back. Jackson isn't fast and he isn't big and powerful. He just runs smart, uses his vision, and picks up yards.

Our defense is very good. Against both Iowa and Michigan, they were backed up all day due to 3 and outs, bad punting, and turnovers. Against Michigan, the starting defense gave up only 17 points (1 return TD, 1 pick 6, and we pulled out everyone at the end and gave up a TD). Against Iowa, on the other hand, the defense missed a lot of tackles.

Looking at stats and stats only, I see that your pass defense hasn't performed but your run defense is stellar. What's the explanation on this? Is the Dline full of run stuffers (I see some huge DTs) and not pass rushers? Is the secondary the issue? Are team's throwing the ball more than running because it's easier?

I also see that the points per game and yards per game aren't really matching up. Are you a bend but don't break defense that gives up yards but not points? Any explanation for this?

What's the injury situation like? Who's out? How important are they? Are the backups ready to go? Our biggest injury is to starting CB Matt Harris. Most think that he's our #1 CB, but I think Nick Van Hoose was outplaying him this year. That said both are excellent. His back up, Keith Watkins, is good and the secondary is deep, but Harris is a special player. We're also missing our 3rd safety Kyle Queiro. That hurts for depth issues. We're missing 2 Superbacks (aka Tight End/Fullback) that would be between 3 and 5 on the depth chart. The oline is banged up, but I believe only back up OG, Adam DePietro, will be out.

Our run defense and pass defense go hand in hand as to why one is good and not the other, at least that is conventional wisdom. Collins is the real deal and about to be robbed of All Big Ten, at least by the writers. He simply requires a double team or will beat you badly. With Valentine next to him they are unstoppable. Combine that with the change in scheme to quarters coverage with the safetys down to fit in the run game leaving the CBs one on one a lot and therein lies the problem. Our CBs haven't been playing man like that the past few years and have struggled in that area.

So our pass defense numbers are a result of teams giving up on the run and beating man coverage on the outside for big plays. If your OL is weak it will be a LONG day for the cats. I suspect a quick, short passing game similar to what MN did. In addition we are getting healthier on the dline with two important players back this week so again not looking good for your oline.

I watched a few of your games and think your front seven are very good. Jackson is a good back - wish we had him.

Our strength is run defense and I don't think NW will get 100 yards on Saturday. Our secondary is weak, particularly at the corners, but I've seen your receivers and while you'll get yards, I don't see you making a living off the pass game.

Nebraska goes as Tommy goes. If his passing is like at Illinois, you have a good chance. If he passes like at Minnesota, then I like Nebraska chances.

Thanks pal. You're awesome and give a great name to Husker fans.
Pretty sure he said that in jest.

The only thing that gives me hope is the struggles you are having offensively. Like another poster said, if Tommy is playing well I like our chances. If not, it will be a low scoring game and we could lose.

I see that you have renewed optimism on this board. You should try going to the Northwestern board. You'll read about how the sky is falling, our coaching staff stinks (especially on offense), our freshman QB is a loser (although he's 5-2), and my favorite we're never ever going to win another game ever. I stopped having fun reading that so I'm over here hoping to have an intelligent discussion about the football game.

Our offense is suspect. The two weakest areas are the offensive line and the WRs. It makes a QB look bad when the line can't protect him and the WRs can't get open. Pretty rough combination. Our RBs are very good especially Justin Jackson. I can't really describe why he's good. Warren Long is a bigger bruising back. Solomon Vault is the smaller speed back. Jackson isn't fast and he isn't big and powerful. He just runs smart, uses his vision, and picks up yards.

Our defense is very good. Against both Iowa and Michigan, they were backed up all day due to 3 and outs, bad punting, and turnovers. Against Michigan, the starting defense gave up only 17 points (1 return TD, 1 pick 6, and we pulled out everyone at the end and gave up a TD). Against Iowa, on the other hand, the defense missed a lot of tackles.

Looking at stats and stats only, I see that your pass defense hasn't performed but your run defense is stellar. What's the explanation on this? Is the Dline full of run stuffers (I see some huge DTs) and not pass rushers? Is the secondary the issue? Are team's throwing the ball more than running because it's easier?

I also see that the points per game and yards per game aren't really matching up. Are you a bend but don't break defense that gives up yards but not points? Any explanation for this?

What's the injury situation like? Who's out? How important are they? Are the backups ready to go? Our biggest injury is to starting CB Matt Harris. Most think that he's our #1 CB, but I think Nick Van Hoose was outplaying him this year. That said both are excellent. His back up, Keith Watkins, is good and the secondary is deep, but Harris is a special player. We're also missing our 3rd safety Kyle Queiro. That hurts for depth issues. We're missing 2 Superbacks (aka Tight End/Fullback) that would be between 3 and 5 on the depth chart. The oline is banged up, but I believe only back up OG, Adam DePietro, will be out.

Can I ask you what has been the cause of your fall from grace? You guys won both the brain bowls against Stanford and Duke--which are both really solid wins. Then the last two weeks against Iowa and Michigan you guys were taken behind the woodshed. I saw your explanation about turnovers and bad punts ect...was that just not happening early in the season or was your offensive line holding up better?

Thanks pal. You're awesome and give a great name to Husker fans.

Did you miss the parenthesis? Just trying to make you feel at home here.....don't be so quick with the keyboard, you'll find most here are welcoming to good football talk, even if your own board isn't.

If Langsdorf continues to allow Tommy to run, and he gets in a rhythm, we will be tough to beat Saturday. Our D is banged up but showing SMALL improvements the last couple weeks in the secondary.

Hoping for another big game from DPE in the special teams and be able to pull away in the second half. Don't need another close game in the fourth (even though we need one to prove we can win it....just not this weekend please!)

If NW is run first - unless you are setting up option or something to really attack the edge - it will be a tough go vs. the D. With the guys we have available (and coming back this week) - NU stops the run well especially anything between the tackles. The pass rush is suspect - which factors into the secondary not being great (asked to cover a long time more often than not).

Offensively - we never know week to week how they will play and yes how Tommy Armstrong Jr plays is the biggest piece. If he is on and gets a few QB runs going - look out - we'll score alot. If he struggles passing - it will be a slugfest and probably come down to who has the ball last.

We showed signs of being able to run the ball very well vs. Minny - but that has not been consistent - in part because we have a pass first head coach and OC. If they call a game similar to Minny and the run plays work......look out.

Can I ask you what has been the cause of your fall from grace? You guys won both the brain bowls against Stanford and Duke--which are both really solid wins. Then the last two weeks against Iowa and Michigan you guys were taken behind the woodshed. I saw your explanation about turnovers and bad punts ect...was that just not happening early in the season or was your offensive line holding up better?
I don't think we're a team that is capable of playing down more than a score. Stanfords largest lead was 3, Duke was 7, Ball State was 4. EIU and Minnesota never scored. The offense is a run oriented ball control offense. The defense is better against the pass than the run as well. Our defense also tends to start off by trying to figure out what the opponent wants to do, they give up a little bit early, and then they clamp down.

Against Michigan, we gave up 7 on the opening kick off, another 7 after a 3 and out, put together a drive but missed the FG, and then gave up another 7. After that the defense clamped down, but down 3 scores the offense had to move to a pass first offense. We gave up a pick 6, a field goal, pulled everyone and then gave up another TD.

Iowa we played reasonably in the 1st half and were only down 6 despite some bad punts and a terrible INT. We have the ball to start the second half. Drive stalls after 6 plays due to a drop on 3rd down by our best receiver Christian Jones. Iowa puts together a long drive and scores the TD making it 13. We then fumble on our next offensive play and Iowa scores again making it a 3 score game. We go into a pass happy offense and it didn't go very good.

Offensively, Iowa's game plan was to send the WR to crack our safeties which left our CBs available to make the tackle. They missed lots and lots of tackles.

Did you miss the parenthesis? Just trying to make you feel at home here.....don't be so quick with the keyboard, you'll find most here are welcoming to good football talk, even if your own board isn't.

If Langsdorf continues to allow Tommy to run, and he gets in a rhythm, we will be tough to beat Saturday. Our D is banged up but showing SMALL improvements the last couple weeks in the secondary.

Hoping for another big game from DPE in the special teams and be able to pull away in the second half. Don't need another close game in the fourth (even though we need one to prove we can win it....just not this weekend please!)
It was weird. The parenthesis wasn't showing when I read your message, but then showed up when I hit the quote. I figured it was something to do with your sig pic. I was a little surprised as I've never had an issue on this board in the past and know the reputation of Nebraska fans as being really nice people.

I'll take a close game. I don't think Northwestern will be winning a blowout.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT