ADVERTISEMENT

No recent posts about Husker hoops, so....

What is your prediction for how the Huskers end the regular season

• 4-0

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • 3-1

Votes: 53 58.2%
  • 2-2

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • 1-3

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 0-4

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

chicolby

All-American
May 3, 2012
No Big Ten team with at least 20 overall wins and fewer than 7 conference losses has missed the NCAA tournament. Nebraska is 19-8 and 10-4 - win #20 is staring at Nebraska in the face tomorrow night vs. Maryland. This one and Penn State (in my opinion) represent the toughest wins down the stretch.

Final regular season schedule:
Nebraska vs. Maryland (home)
Nebraska @ Illinois (away)
Nebraska vs. Indiana (home)
Nebraska vs. Penn State (home)

Still think we have to win at least 3 of the 4 to stay on the bubble. This is not your typical Big Ten season.

A good comparison would be Georgia in 2013-14. They won 20 games and went 12-6 in the SEC, yet didn't make the tournament because of lack of resume wins. So 12-6 may not be good enough. If we go 13-5 we'll get in, because that would also guarantee us the #4 seed ahead of Michigan. I think we're bound to have one let-down game here, I think either against Maryland or Indiana.

I'm calling 4-0 to finish regular season and make it to the conference tourney final.

Probably go 3-1 with a loss at Illinois. PSU will be a nail biter! Don't think we'll be left out if we go 22-9 and 13-5 conference record. That would still be a hose job.

I’m hoping for 4-0, but tomorrow scares me and Illinois is a trap game from hell.

That last regular-season game against Penn State should be an atmosphere that will rival the Wisconsin no sit Sunday game from four years ago. That game still scares me more than anything though.

Reactions: huskerfan66
That last regular-season game against Penn State should be an atmosphere that will rival the Wisconsin no sit Sunday game from four years ago. That game still scares me more than anything though.
Will be a fun one to be at

This team is showing a refuse to lose attitude. I like their chances. Now at this point in the season I think we can hang with anyone in the conference now, especially if we have all 5 are hitting!

This team is showing a refuse to lose attitude. I like their chances. Now at this point in the season I think we can hang with anyone in the conference now, especially if we have all 5 are hitting!
The crazy thing is, we really haven’t seen a game where everyone was on yet. The Michigan game was very close to that.

Probably go 3-1 with a loss at Illinois. PSU will be a nail biter! Don't think we'll be left out if we go 22-9 and 13-5 conference record. That would still be a hose job.
Illinois will be nails in a couple years.... we’ll coached!!!

In an effort to make sure I am making my point clear, I will label future posts as sarcasm or not sarcasm.

This particular post could be both, damn it. That didn't last long.
The super-fans who like to pretend what is on a message board effects the outcome of games will not allow that, or maybe they will. Whatever they can easier complain about, or use as a reason to think they are superior. Or something along those lines.

It wouldnt bother me to see them lose 1 game before conference tourney. Its had to keep winning and can get lids over confident. Going 3-1 with a road loss at Illinois wouldnt be devastating. Then get back to the no win attitude going into the tourney after a couple home wins to end the reg season.

If they lose 1 tjey would be at what? 23 wins? 23 wins then 1 win in the conf tourney and the committee would be a joke to not put them in. How you finish the season has to be one of the contributors ad they have finished pretty dang good.

If they lose 1 tjey would be at what? 23 wins? 23 wins then 1 win in the conf tourney and the committee would be a joke to not put them in. How you finish the season has to be one of the contributors ad they have finished pretty dang good.
I read an article today in which the KSU beat writer said ' it is considered that KSU is a LOCK at 17-8 and 6-6 in the Big 12.....WHAT AM I MISSING HERE???THEY HAVE THE WORST NON CON SCHEDULE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE TO BE IN!!!

I read an article today in which the KSU beat writer said ' it is considered that KSU is a LOCK at 17-8 and 6-6 in the Big 12.....WHAT AM I MISSING HERE???THEY HAVE THE WORST NON CON SCHEDULE POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE HAVE TO BE IN!!!

KSU is not a lock (their RPI is lower than ours) and neither are we

We have to hope that the committee values quantity over quality and we get some benefit from PAST big ten reputation. Some are projecting only 4 BIG teams get invited and most feel Michigan's resume - at present- is stronger than ours despite the head to head. My hope is that based on the strong reputation of the BIG that the conference gets a +1 based on being historically strong even if it isn't this year.

Outside of the tournament we don't have the opportunity for any more quality wins. I believe a loss has the potential to drop our RPI more than a win will raise it. Have to win out - maybe we can lose one and then regardless I think we need a quality win in the tourney - beating Michigan twice would help.

We also can't have a lot of teams that otherwise would not get invited to the NCAA tourney win their conference tournaments.

For all the talk of how we are getting screwed with the unbalanced conference scheduling in football I have seen little talk about how soft our basketball draw has been - the last I looked our SOS was 95th --- North Dakota's was 98th

Going to be close - GBR

Last edited:

We are far from in, in fact I think a loss to Illinois might knock us out for good, barring a run in the conference tournament.

Another good comparison would be Washington in 2011-12. They finished first in the PAC with a 14-4 conference record and 21-10 overall, and they did not make the tournament. Arizona was also 12-6 in the PAC that year and 21-10 overall and didn't make it - and they are a "big-name" program. You generally must have big wins to get in, and we just don't have them.

With all that said, there are several teams listed ahead of us that don't have many quality wins either - K-State, USC, Boise. But you also have to remember that several teams will steal an automatic bid as well if they don't win their conference tourney - Rhode Island, Middle Tennessee, and Nevada to name a few. So we really can't afford to lose any of the last 3 games.

We are far from in, in fact I think a loss to Illinois might knock us out for good, barring a run in the conference tournament.

Another good comparison would be Washington in 2011-12. They finished first in the PAC with a 14-4 conference record and 21-10 overall, and they did not make the tournament. Arizona was also 12-6 in the PAC that year and 21-10 overall and didn't make it - and they are a "big-name" program. You generally must have big wins to get in, and we just don't have them.

With all that said, there are several teams listed ahead of us that don't have many quality wins either - K-State, USC, Boise. But you also have to remember that several teams will steal an automatic bid as well if they don't win their conference tourney - Rhode Island, Middle Tennessee, and Nevada to name a few. So we really can't afford to lose any of the last 3 games.
Many people refer to Washington when talking about Nebraska's chances. On one hand, I understand the example to state that a good record and conference record is no lock, but on the other side, there simply were NO good teams in the PAC-12 that year. None. At least in the B1G, we have 3 teams currently ranked in the top 10. Yes, Nebraska lost to those 3, but they were all on the road. Washington didn't have an excuse for their 4 losses - it's not as though they lost to top conference teams, because there were none. I repeat, NONE.

One other note about the selection committee, that I think bodes well for Nebraska. They do use a lot of computers, but it is not a purely data-driven decision. They put in borderline teams whom they believe have a chance to make some noise. I certainly believe they will see the athleticism on this team and the hot run down the stretch as a reason to believe this team can make some noise. They felt that way about Northwestern last season. As a matter of fact, South Carolina got in last year with a 12-6 conference record after being bounced in the first round of the SEC tournament and made it all the way to the Final 4.

Even though Kansas and Creighton were losses, I think there is evidence to suggest this team can compete at high levels. I like Nebraska's chances.

Many people refer to Washington when talking about Nebraska's chances. On one hand, I understand the example to state that a good record and conference record is no lock, but on the other side, there simply were NO good teams in the PAC-12 that year. None. At least in the B1G, we have 3 teams currently ranked in the top 10. Yes, Nebraska lost to those 3, but they were all on the road. Washington didn't have an excuse for their 4 losses - it's not as though they lost to top conference teams, because there were none. I repeat, NONE.

4 BIG teams will get in for sure - at present - despite the head to head - Michigan's resume is the 4th best based on RPI - quality wins - SOS etc. We have to unequivocally be the 4th best team in the conference - that likely means winning out and beating the likely 5 seed in the conference tourney - beating Michigan twice would be huge and likely force the NCAA to take Nebraska if they were also selecting Michigan

And isn’t funny the one win they have we don’t.

Only reason why their RPI is 47 because of beating KU in early December...No question were a better team than Washington.

RPI doesn’t always pass the eyeball test when it comes down to the end of the year.:mad:

4 BIG teams will get in for sure - at present - despite the head to head - Michigan's resume is the 4th best based on RPI - quality wins - SOS etc. We have to unequivocally be the 4th best team in the conference - that likely means winning out and beating the likely 5 seed in the conference tourney
Of course, I understand your point and you're right, if Nebraska runs the table and knocks off Michigan, they are a lock. But I'm suggesting that even with a slip-up along the way, I think this team is still in. I don't think they can afford two slip-ups, but I do think one does not eliminate them from consideration (per my earlier post re: South Carolina making it in with a 12-6 conference record, including losing the last reg. season game to Alabama then losing in the first round of the conference tourney.

South Carolina had a higher RPI and some good non-conference wins last year (Syracuse, Michigan), and also beat a very good Florida team. Which means again that if we had beaten KU and/or Creighton, we would be a lock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT