ADVERTISEMENT

No alternative unis for 2024

b6dac077-4f46-470c-8ef7-df6d0f0f1660_text.gif

• Love
Reactions: bigboxes
Seems to get forgotten because of the disaster at Carolina, but Baylor was exciting and kind of trendy. I remember watching Rhule and Baylor and thinking, damn, he has that team rocking.

Yeah and it all looked pretty good because it was all Nike, who knows how to execute all that stuff. They miss on a few from time to time, but it's pretty rare. Adidas...ehhh...not so much. Maybe Rhule is just smart enough to realize that. Conversation probably went something like this...

AD - Matt, would you like to implement some of the nifty alternate uniforms which appear to be very popular with the kids these days?

MR - We're with who again? Adidas? Can that be fixed?

AD - Well, not sure what you mean by that. You see, Adidas is a valuable long time partner of the University of Nebraska athletics who means a tremendous amou...

MR - Switch to Nike.

AD - We can't. We have a long term contract with Adidas. And again, we consider them a...

MR - Then hell no on the shitty alt uniform gimmicky bullshit. Adidas sucks. Anything else? Cuz I got a team to coach.

If the young athletes of today like all kinds of different alternative uniforms then I guess it is something we need to pay attention to if for no other reason the ability to attract talent.
That said... I don't like them as a fan of the sport. There are a handful of blue blood programs whose helmets and jerseys have an iconic status. They are part of the brand. Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Alabama, USC, Nebraska, and Oklahoma all fall into this status. There have been subtle changes of course over the years to all of these uniforms, but they have remained essentially the same for decades.
As we struggle to regain our standing as a winning program amongst the blue bloods, I think it is wise for us to emulate the big boys instead of the flashy newcomers like Oregon. Having an alternate uniform once a year is probably no threat. But making it a habit is a bad idea. I for one am happy that we will just see NU in its typical iconic uniforms all year.
Pennsy, Oklahoma has had numerous alternate helmets and this year their even going back to the white helmets with crimson stripe like they had in the Wilkinson era..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Count me as a husker fan who's tired of the minimal to no decent use of alternative uniforms. Who cares about "Bluebloods some need alts" nonsense. We can be a Blueblood that has fun with it all while still honoring the past and traditions.

It's fun, helps recruiting, etc. Why not? Big boy college football with big boy money let's go already!

Reactions: leodisflowers
Count me as a husker fan who's tired of the minimal to no decent use of alternative uniforms. Who cares about "Bluebloods some need alts" nonsense. We can be a Blueblood that has fun with it all while still honoring the past and traditions.

It's fun, helps recruiting, etc. Why not? Big boy college football with big boy money let's go already!
Agreed, but this is the same reason there is outrage of a stadium going cashless.... We still have a ****-ton of blue hairs that can't imagine being part of the next century and still think that a Pepsi inside the stadium should be bought with a nickel. You don't have to get rid of tradition, but you can deviate for a game a year or hell even a couple. Who really gives a shit if you win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT