ADVERTISEMENT

Next year’s schedule ??

I think scott will go 6-6 in 2020, but what if he gets a 8-9 win season? No one knows. I can't wait. This suspense is why I love CFB! Will illinois take off? Will NW get back on track? Who knows! Ain't it great?

It kind of feels like you’re going off your own assumptions there... like I said before I’ve been preaching stability for a while now... that even includes Bo, and MR... Now I am with you there as soon as Moos was brought in it was obvious that MR was gone... now I don’t live in Nebraska so I guess I don’t know what the general feel was around there but sure you’re correct that most probably were not calling for stability... I still don’t think that is really moving the goal posts, I think the ultimate goal has always been the same and that’s to compete for championships, most Nebraskans do know a little about football, and They typically have a decent understanding of what it takes to be a winner... the MR experiment was doomed from the start, we hired a career .500 coach, and we ain’t talking about a coach that was young and “learning” through lower division... we were talking about a coach on the back end of is career and only going .500 in what most would agree with saying the worst power 5 conference, yet even with that you still seen most fans get on board and support him... I think he got a shorter leash not because “he ain’t from around here” but because he was older and should have known how to manage a roster, call games, and utilize the facilities he had... I do think expectations are the same regardless of who we have, but the short term goals in between are fluid, just as you may not expect a freshman QB to make all NFL throws, you shouldn’t expect a new coach to be perfect, now you’d expect your Senior QB to make all those throws, just like you’d expect your older coach to to run a tighter ship... the goal posts haven’t changed, but the yard markings in between may have, and that’s to be expected as you are dealing with different experience levels between the coaches...

Please list some examples of where this persistence and stability have led to big results after losing like we have these 2 years

I’m sure there are some - many - I’m just too lazy to look them up - certainly not any blue bloods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
I think scott will go 6-6 in 2020, but what if he gets a 8-9 win season? No one knows. I can't wait. This suspense is why I love CFB! Will illinois take off? Will NW get back on track? Who knows! Ain't it great?
Yes. Let’s lower the bar even more. Let’s keep competing with the perennial powers of Illinois and northwestern. Still so confused how that is acceptable

Reactions: oldjar07
For 2020, I can't predict better than 5-7 at this point. Maybe if they change out some of the coaching staff or they start looking a lot better during the spring game, I can up that prediction. This staff and these players need to prove they're not a losing team imo.

But for Riley, the "it takes time to get things rolling" was never an option. I am not saying that Riley was ever going to turn it around at Nebraska. I don't think he would ever get the support from alums, admin or fans, even if he had the ability to get it done. No one cared about stability in 2017, it was only about winning games. No one said, lets see what happens if Diaco is able to get his players in to run his defense.

I think people want stability now, because all of a sudden we are like a person with a serious illness getting an experimental drug and we have this one last shot at life as we once knew it. Again moving the goal posts for Frost.
Ok, this is whats confusing about your posts and stance (and jib).

You seem upset that Riley was not going to get a long leesh, support, time, benefit of doubt, etc. so, in order to be upset about that, you must have wished Nebraska fans were more reasonable for a new coach coming in, right?

Yet, here we are with a new coach. That new coach has a long leesh, support, time, benefit of doubt, etc. But, here you are, upset about that. One would think you’d be happy Husker fans learned their lesson and are allowing a new coach the time he needs, but you aren't. Therefore, theres three explanations that I can see.

1) You’re a hypocrite
2) You’re a huge Riley fanboy and support him over the program (doubtful as you said you weren't sure he’d get it done)
3) You hate Frost from the start (similar to hypocrite) OR you simply hate husker fans more than you like the program/like being angry, etc.

I’m sure you’ll come up with a fourth option. But again, you should be happy frost is being treated the way you believe Riley should have been, for the good of the program. Thats why you're here, right? Support of husker football program?

Heres the second thing strange about you and jib posting.
This board has been extremely negative this year regarding the performance of Frost. Extremely. You (and jib) seem to see a boogy man in the closet regarding fans on this forum. I started a thread the other day that began saying this season was a failure and Frost needed to figure some stuff out pronto. But my thread was more about fan conspiracy theories...it wasnt about defending frost as a coach, because like I said, this year was a failure. Judging by this board the vast majority of this board agrees Frost has been a failure thus far.

So....what do you and jib want?? People calling for his head? (Something you yourself have not done)
What needs to be done with Frost to make you (jib answer too) happy?
Jib you are taking an easy way out answering that question with that Iowa B.S....make a stance...what do YOU as a fan EXPECT from Frost, and if he doesnt meet it, what do you think NU should do about it for the good of the program? You seem more interested in an experiment with the fans and bashing everyone.

I know, TLDR and all that.....but sometimes I feel like you and I are reading a different board. Its evident most people on this board are disappointed with Frost.

Compared to his predecessors record the previous 3 years

Nick Saban was +8 wins at MSU and +10 wins at LSU after his 3rd season

If Frost can win 7 he will be minus 3 vs Riley

That predecessor is part of the problem. It's time to stop blaming him and move on with everything. Frost just needs to win period. Who gives a **** what Mike Riley, Bo Pelini, Bill Callahan and Solich did. Build the program and win is the only thing that matters.

Reactions: baseball31ne
There is also the possibility that many Husker fans have become resigned to the possibility that this is the new normal for awhile and that irrational expectations are precisely why we are in the situation we are now in given the hubris of firing 9 win coaches. Or as I prefer, stability. The worst thing that ever happened to the long-term longevity of this program was winning 3 NC in the 90s because it set expectations at a level that even T.O. couldn't meet until the end of his career.

Reactions: Clemke32
Is next years schedule all that tough?

We don’t play a power 5 non conference opponent.

I wonder if Bill, knowing the murderous schedule next year, will again set the bar at 6 wins.

Just the possible AAC Champion, FCS Champion. Those aren't pushovers. Pull the wool away from your eyes.

where have I ever said fire him
I have always said let him stay 5-7 years

that doesn’t mean I’m not going to point out how poor the record is - no one and I mean no one thought it fathomable that he might have a worse record than Riley at the 3 year mark or how 6 or 7 wins in year 3 could be construed as progress

he should get the same criticism as any other coach that was hired here and is winning at a less than 40% rate ... historically low

I’m going to compare his record and more importantly his top end achievements at Nebraska to other programs - particularly blue bloods since they are our piers - as I’ve said when a blue blood got their right coach there was almost always an elite season within 3 years

I’ve said if Frost wins enough to be comparable to an Iowa type program I believe that will enough because fans will slowly be accepting of that standard. The AD is already hedging on year 3 results with his comments about the schedule.

You know what is the most amusing about all of this debate? No matter how much hand wringing, pissing and moaning is done, nor how much sunshine pumping is done, it won't change a thing.

So other than trying to prove you are right, what exactly is anyone trying to accomplish?

Yea, I know, this is a forum for people to share their opinions and discuss football. We have blown way past that to crazy ass pissing matches that prove nothing.

But by all means, everyone should carry on trying to get the sunshine pumper to change their mind. Or to get the doomsdayer to whistle zippity doo dah out their asshole.

It amazes me how important it is for some people to prove they are right to other random dudes on an anonymous message board.

Now, please carry on with your pissing match.

P.S. As I said in December of 2017, if you wanted someone to come in here and be a run the ball guy, Nebraska picked the wrong guy. 2019 was an aberration. If the offense is clicking like Frost wants it too, Nebraska will be 57/43 run pass and will be using the pass to keep the running game open, more than they will be running the ball to set up the pass.
And I think this is a mistake, at least as long as NU does not have a full complement of WRs on the roster. Was in the stadium for the Iowa game. The perimeter passing game was negated and lost yardage more often than not. It was almost as if Iowa didn't care if NU ran the ball, because eventually a couple of "east west" plays would go for net negative yardage and put NU behind the chains.

Just the possible AAC Champion, FCS Champion. Those aren't pushovers. Pull the wool away from your eyes.

That Cincinnati coach you refer to will be in his 3rd year after taking over a 4-8 team and will be playing our coach who is in his 3rd year after taking over a 4-8 team.

We shouldn’t be lagging behind a Cincinnati.

when was the last time a Nebraska coach racked up more than 1 non power 5 loss in such a short time span? Frost isn’t going to lose these type of games - he is in year 3 - just like the Cincinnati coach.

In year 3 we should handle a Cincinnati at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
I see where lots of people are saying the Huskers should start next season 7-0. I suspect that is possible but right now it is just as likely to be 2-5. My belief is it will be somewhere in between those two extremes! For that to happen the program is going to have to become a team and the one for all and all for one attitude is going to have to come back. No matter what anyone says the attitude of a team starts at the top and with leadership. Top being Head Coach and leadership being the captains. The captains have to have the respect of the whole team. Hopefully those things happen and the Huskers become an ALL FOR ONE ONE FOR ALL TEAM again!

We've played THIRTEEN toss-up games in the last two years. That is unprecedented. In fact we played that many one score games from 1997 to 2004....we've only won 3 of those games, statistically this is also unlikely...normally a team sits between 45% and 55% winning % in those games with the "clutch" gene factoring in 5%...so we could easily win 9-10 games next year as long as we win our close games, which are toss-ups and based on random events like bad calls, bad bounces.

Definitely some solid teams on the 2020 schedule. The first 7 games are all winnable and then we go through a gauntlet. Let’s see what happens.

in year 3 - playing divisional teams - Wisconsin - Iowa - Minnesota - shouldn’t be referred to “going through a gauntlet”

we should be talking about winning the division

Reactions: HuskerJag
Last five games are a substantial step up from the prior seven. As I see things, NU needs to work on NU and stop the worriment over the schedule. Based upon the play in 2019, CMU is a possible L, Perdue and Cincy are tossups. If NU decides to get back to basics and gets a run game going out of the gate, the team is 7-0 going into the Shoe. The other parts of Frost's offense operate optimally only if a basic run games exists, not the other way around.
Solid post but I would challenge the run/pass game comment. Of course we would like to let the running game set up the pass but both can depend on the other. With real outside 6'3 WR threats of betts and manning it will help open up the run and dictate coverage. Also short passing game relies on capable blockers who are also deep threats. Those "swing passes" that everyone complain about will be 4 yards and possibly 6! Stanley provided some of that field stretch the year before and you could see the difference

This makes no sense what so ever. How did Riley supposedly have worse players than Frost? Riley took over a program that had won 9-10 for seven seasons in a row. If you are going to completely ignore the state of the program when a coach takes over, like you are choosing to do here, but not at UCF, and say every coach should be held to the same standard no matter what, we will be firing every coach from now to the end of time for not doing what Solich did his first several years.

100% on the money. It's hard to believe so many people can't grasp the obvious.

Reactions: headcard
We've played THIRTEEN toss-up games in the last two years. That is unprecedented. In fact we played that many one score games from 1997 to 2004....we've only won 3 of those games, statistically this is also unlikely...normally a team sits between 45% and 55% winning % in those games with the "clutch" gene factoring in 5%...so we could easily win 9-10 games next year as long as we win our close games, which are toss-ups and based on random events like bad calls, bad bounces.

I'd say our special teams were by far what hurt us badly.

I know many people want to win and have a better record but for myself, I want to see improvements across the board. Grow off of this year and last year. See guys improve and develop. I have no illusions on this being a quick fix even entering year 3. Start seeing meaningful depth develop. This may still be the foundational portion of the rebuild but I want to start seeing some pillars on offense and defense that can be relied upon going forward.

Reactions: Clemke32
we don’t lose to CMU or Cincy - we lost to Troy in year 1. I can’t remember a Nebraska staff that has 2 nonpower 5 losses on its resume - does Frankie? Riley and Callahan only have one
Cincinnati and c Michigan will be far from gimme games

Cincinnati and c Michigan will be far from gimme games

the question isn't whether Cincinnati or CMU are good it is why

Luke Fickell will be in his 3rd year at Cincinnati after taking over a 4-8 team playing a mid major schedule
Jim McElwain will be in his 2nd year at CMU after taking over a 1-11 team playing a mid major schedule
Scott Frost will be in his 3rd year after taking over a 4-8 at NEBRASKA playing a poer 5 schedule

no way should either of those teams beat Nebraska in Lincoln
we aren't talking about beating Ohio State in year 3 - we are talking about beating Cincinnati and CMU who were in rebuilds of their own

Last edited:
the question isn't whether Cincinnati or CMU are good it is why

Luke Fickell will be in his 3rd year at Cincinnati after taking over a 4-8 team
Jim McElwain will be in his 2nd year at CMU after taking over a 1-11 team
Scott Frost will be in his 3rd year after taking over a 4-8 at NEBRASKA

no way should either of those teams beat Nebraska in Lincoln
we aren't talking about beating Ohio State in year 3 - we are talking about beating Cincinnati and CMU who were in rebuilds of their own
True. I don't see many holes in the schedule. Better be ready against Purdue, Cincinnati top 25 team, CMU playing for conference title and then the rest of the Big schedule. Thank goodness for SDSU which seems to play above their pay grade against teams you would expect to check mark the W

I said it with Riley and I’ll say it with Frost. You hire a new coach to be better than the last coach. The last coach was dogsh!t. How has the new coach shown to be better though?

“We are going to compete for the division in year 2 and after that look out”
We did in fact compete for the division. We had a chance until about half way through the conference.....:Cool: Our play against Wisconsin and Iowa says we weren't that far off. Injuries to WR, safety, Mo leaving, WR injuries, DL injuries all contributed. Maybe we win some of those game with a completely healthy DeOntai, Darrion, Wandale, AM and Mo all year?

I said it with Riley and I’ll say it with Frost. You hire a new coach to be better than the last coach. The last coach was dogsh!t. How has the new coach shown to be better though?
We shown we can be explosive offensively. I think he's brought in some guys who will be difference makers in the long run. His recruiting is better imo..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT