ADVERTISEMENT

Next coaches salary?

Corncountry

Aug 9, 2015
Is I possible to change it up a bit? Say, something like a 500k base salary and a $1mil bonus per win. Maybe we could get a coach motivated to actually coach knowing they could make as much as $14.5mil for winning out, or as little as $500k if they can't.

Neon Deion just just took the less guaranteed money with incentives.
No. He took a market value contract with incentives attached

5 years at 29.5 million (before incentives) puts him third in the PAC 12 behind only Riley and Whittingham

More per year than Lanning at Oregon and DeBoer at Washington - even after he signed his extension

Deion did not take a discount

Yes but it is still incentive based. Thats still better then paying 8mil guaranteed whether we win 15 or lose 12
On an average per year basis (without incentives) Deion was given the third highest contract in the PAC12

Rhule was given the ~ third highest contract in the BIG

(Rhule’s contract most certainly has incentives/bonuses as well)

Last edited:
Every coach has a base salary plus incentives. Just because Deion has incentives doesn’t mean you called it.

Pointing fingers at Deion’s salary and saying it’s too high when you live in a glass house. LOL.

Every coach has a base salary plus incentives. Just because Deion has incentives doesn’t mean you called it.
But how many coaches are getting bonuses for 6 wins and every win after that? I don't believe there are any. That was my point of the original posts question. Maybe not 500k but even for a proven coach say 5m with 1m every win 6 and after I'm sure we could have attracted someone.

But how many coaches are getting bonuses for 6 wins and every win after that? I don't believe there are any. That was my point of the original posts question. Maybe not 500k but even for a proven coach say 5m with 1m every win 6 and after I'm sure we could have attracted someone.

That someone would have been a huge step down from Rhule. We were not in a position to pinch pennies....nobody proven worth a shit would take our call if that's what we wanted....plus, and here's the kicker....we can afford Rhule's salary. It is zero skin off our nose. I'm glad Trev went big.

Who is goimg to want to do that. Someone unproven, maybe. A "proven" coach who thinks he can win a lot of games is going to command a lot of guaranteed money. Are you saying Rhule will fail, and we need to pray for a miracle hire with the next coach. This feels almost like a troll post.

Reactions: moralvictories
Who is goimg to want to do that. Someone unproven, maybe. A "proven" coach who thinks he can win a lot of games is going to command a lot of guaranteed money. Are you saying Rhule will fail, and we need to pray for a miracle hire with the next coach. This feels almost like a troll post.
No this post was from long before we hired Rhule. I just felt like being a sm@rt @$$.

I hear what you’re saying, but if the coach does the minimum of what we expect, then that kind of contract is practically more expensive than what we signed Rhule to. If 9 wins then $9 mil… if said coach wins more, we are on the hook for more money.

We just about had our pick of the litter with the contract we signed Rhule to. Why set the base lower with incentives that will ultimately coast more if they accomplish what is expected?

I hear what you’re saying, but if the coach does the minimum of what we expect, then that kind of contract is practically more expensive than what we signed Rhule to. If 9 wins then $9 mil… if said coach wins more, we are on the hook for more money.

We just about had our pick of the litter with the contract we signed Rhule to. Why set the base lower with incentives that will ultimately coast more if they accomplish what is expected?
So we don't end up with another coach that doesn't try and just collects a check. I'm happy with the Rhule hire and his contract. Again the original post was a ? Of would it work to get a coach that wants to coach. Say Frost for example, would he have tried more if he knew he was going to make a lot more money after 6 wins?

Reactions: timnsun
I don't know about you, but even with a traditional guaranteed contract....

I'd be encouraged to "try more" to keep earning 5 years $40 million back to back to back in stead of just one time and getting fired.

Coaches have plenty of incentives.

Reactions: timnsun
This. They get the base plus generally more for a set number if wins, bowl game, conference championship and of course being the playoffs among others.

No coach, in their right mind would take a low number and bank on the incentive money.

Reactions: timnsun and jflores
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT