ADVERTISEMENT

Next Alabama Coach

Not surprised it isn’t Lanning. Plenty of money now that Oregon is in the Big 10, plus plenty more to go around thanks to Phil Knight.

I’ll be curious to see who steps into Saban’s footsteps.

Reactions: BleedRed78
seems to me the most logical choice is lane kiffin. he has coached at alabama under saban. relatively young at 48. charismatic. up to the challenge of dealing with media and fans. articulate. funny. winner. understands the sec. superior ego. i'd be surprised if it's not him because i doubt kirby smart will leave his alma mater, uga, which is now the equal of alabama. and texas isn't going to let someone buy sark, texas being the superior job going into the sec.

330px-Kiffin9.jpg

If it is Dan Lanning then Alabama will keep on rolling. It only underscores what a mistake Osborne made in 1997 handing things over to Solich. In 97 we were the big dog. THE program. We could have had our pick of any great coach out there and not missed a beat in recruiting. Big missed opportunity for NU. And I love Solich. But he did let things slide
Totally agree. I do think we have to look at this from a different angle somewhat. College football was a totally different sport 25 years ago than it is now. Sucks to look back and think what a top of the line college coach could have done with what TO left. Opportunity for several more national titles I'd think. It would rival what Saban did at Alabama I'd be willing to bet.

Reactions: bigboxes
Doesn’t matter who it is, a fall in consistency is coming. He single-handedly changed the SEC and landscape of college football. Do not, for a single second, act like this isn’t a seismic hit to Bama.
i don't buy that. saban leaves the place in superior condition. it's all about who is next. when smith left north carolina mbb the wheels kept turning. same with larry brown at ku with bill self. dr. tom after devaney. k-state got better with chris klieman after bill snyder. it all depends on who replaces saban.

i don't buy that. saban leaves the place in superior condition. it's all about who is next. when smith left north carolina mbb the wheels kept turning. same with larry brown at ku with bill self. dr. tom after devaney. k-state got better with chris klieman after bill snyder. it all depends on who replaces saban.
Don’t agree, Bama wandered the wastes for decades after Bear Bryant. The only exception being the Stallings era, which set them back even further with NCAA sanctions. Saban is the best recruiter in CFB history bar none, and his NFL clout helped sell recruits to Bama.

I love my wife but if she starts considering marriage proposals from other men than it might be time to move on. I feel the same about Rhule. Love where he has things going but if he wants to go to Penn State, so be it.
My hope is that Rhule is now at a place where he’s invested a lot and wants to build a legacy versus being a fixer/mercenary. He outta coach here for 10/12 more years, get us solidly in the top 5 - 10 and then do whatever he wants in retirement

This is the right move. He’s got it so good in Oregon. Their expectations are entirely reasonable and they are flush with cash. It’s gonna be tough to walk in Saban’s shadow. That is one entitled fan base.

Except now he will have to travel 2000-3000 miles across the country for most road games and play in cold climates.

• Haha
You’re forgetting that UNC had some bad years after Dean Smith with Gutheridge and Doherty. The Ron Prince years at K-State were not all the great. KU did just fine with Roy Williams following LB (and then Self).

But your point is correct. Make the right hire and they won’t miss a beat.

You’re forgetting that UNC had some bad years after Dean Smith with Gutheridge and Doherty. The Ron Prince years at K-State were not all the great. KU did just fine with Roy Williams following LB (and then Self).

But your point is correct. Make the right hire and they won’t miss a beat.

Yeah Bama is a blue-blood program with tons of money in the heart of fertile recruiting territory. Plus Auburn and A&M suck right now. A good coach should be able to continue what Saban built.

Except now he will have to travel 2000-3000 miles across the country for most road games and play in cold climates.
Not a big deal. They play one road in either Seattle or LA every year. What's he looking at, another 20 or 30 hours a year in a chartered plane?

Probably looking at 1 or 2 November road games. Which means it could be cold or it could be 50 degrees like the NU/Maryland game last fall. No big deal.

Not a big deal. They play one road in either Seattle or LA every year. What's he looking at, another 20 or 30 hours a year in a chartered plane?

Probably looking at 1 or 2 November road games. Which means it could be cold or it could be 50 degrees like the NU/Maryland game last fall. No big deal.
Chartered flights make this so easy. Football team will have it great. Track team may not be so lucky.

Reactions: drubendall
seems to me the most logical choice is lane kiffin. he has coached at alabama under saban. relatively young at 48. charismatic. up to the challenge of dealing with media and fans. articulate. funny. winner. understands the sec. superior ego. i'd be surprised if it's not him because i doubt kirby smart will leave his alma mater, uga, which is now the equal of alabama. and texas isn't going to let someone buy sark, texas being the superior job going into the sec.

330px-Kiffin9.jpg
Bama fans, like most Husker fans, would not be able to handle Lane.

He is young, he uses social media, he dates young hotties, he gets sarcastic with the media...

Bama fans, like most Husker fans, would not be able to handle Lane.

He is young, he uses social media, he dates young hotties, he gets sarcastic with the media...
Same age as Rhule and Rhule is pretty good on social media.

Not surprised it isn’t Lanning. Plenty of money now that Oregon is in the Big 10, plus plenty more to go around thanks to Phil Knight.

I’ll be curious to see who steps into Saban’s footsteps.
I read the hangup is Lanning's Nike stock

It's something like $30mil and subject to go up in the future. Couple that with his buyout, and you're looking at $50 million before contract talks.

I think he's great, but that's a ton of money for a guy who hasnt won a conference championship and has a spotty record against his rivals

Reactions: maplesyrup95
Okay, so it is not Lanning, Kiffin, Sark, or Dabo. And anyone who would put James Franklin on that list is an idiot. The dude cannot beat the big boys. So who? There are some recently fired NFL coaches, like Belichek and Pete Carrol, but they are both too old. This is going to get interesting. Perhaps Norvell could be the choice. Then the rumor of Prime to FSU might happen.

• Love
Reactions: Landomatic
I love my wife but if she starts considering marriage proposals from other men than it might be time to move on. I feel the same about Rhule. Love where he has things going but if he wants to go to Penn State, so be it.
Stuff like this so stupid. Has he ever said that’s his dream job or something? People love to make crap up, it seems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT