ADVERTISEMENT

New rules = Faster offenses?

jozimmer

Walk On
Sep 3, 2005
Granted the new rule of not stopping the clock after 1st down should only reduce the game by a total of 7-10 plays; 170 plays instead of 180 plays, does anyone think more teams will run more no-huddle and hurry-up offenses? More passing maybe to get more plays in due to incompletions stopping the clock?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Granted the new rule of not stopping the clock after 1st down should only reduce the game by a total of 7-10 plays; 170 plays instead of 180 plays, does anyone think more teams will run more no-huddle and hurry-up offenses? More passing maybe to get more plays in due to incompletions stopping the clock?
Teams with a second half lead have more of an opportunity to bleed clock running the ball
Ball control offenses may be more effective

Coaches and players need to value their timeouts more.
Calling timeout to start a half I think once happened under Frost.
Calling timeouts on opening play of series can’t happen.
QB can never get caught not watching the play clock.
Coaches need to make decisive play calls and not stall.
Focus.

Yes. Air raid teams will especially have an advantage once again I believe.

Well, competent ones anyway lol.

This greatly lowers the likelihood of big comebacks in the 4th quarter. Which is not a good thing imo. College football needs to stop copying the NFL, every change designed to bring the college game closer to the NFL makes the college game worse.
One rule to copy from the NFL punt formation rules. Ban the shield. Send rugby punters back to the Outback and bring back the punt return to the college game.

sorry folks but college football is following todays trend. Gen Z doesn’t have the attention span for 4 hour football games. They live in a 30 second TikTok world. MLB has dramatically sped up their game with a pitch clock. It’s what is needed for the future. Sorry, but change is needed

Wish they’d speed up halftime like the NFL. Problem college has with that is I think it will dip in to concession stand revenue, which they wouldn’t like.

I like the 2.5 to 3 hour games in the NFL. I like knowing basically when the games will be over.

People complaining about how it favors teams with a lead, well how about don’t fall behind then?

Reactions: scarletred
It’s a joke just so they can get 7 or 8 plays less, What’s the point? College football isn’t the NFL..

What’s next two feet inbounds for a TD… Fvcking ridiculous..

Reactions: oldjar07
Man can you imagine Osborne's ball control offense in this environment? Would be even better than it was in the 80s and 90s...

Man can you imagine Osborne's ball control offense in this environment? Would be even better than it was in the 80s and 90s...
4th quarters are going to be a snooze fest because that's all it will be. I don't think these rules committees actually think about the consequences of these rule changes before they enact them.

sorry folks but college football is following todays trend. Gen Z doesn’t have the attention span for 4 hour football games. They live in a 30 second TikTok world. MLB has dramatically sped up their game with a pitch clock. It’s what is needed for the future. Sorry, but change is needed

Wish they’d speed up halftime like the NFL. Problem college has with that is I think it will dip in to concession stand revenue, which they wouldn’t like.

I like the 2.5 to 3 hour games in the NFL. I like knowing basically when the games will be over.

People complaining about how it favors teams with a lead, well how about don’t fall behind then?
If you had read anything about the history of baseball game lengths then you’d know that 100 years ago pro games were half as long and people involved in pro baseball back then were already complaining the game was getting too long.

The drive to sped up modern sports has nothing to do with generational preferences.

Reactions: 9and4
If you had read anything about the history of baseball game lengths then you’d know that 100 years ago pro games were half as long and people involved in pro baseball back then were already complaining the game was getting too long.

The drive to sped up modern sports has nothing to do with generational preferences.
Indeed. As a kid, I remember Husker games starting at 1:30 and ending by 4 or 4:15 p.m. at the latest.

In just the last 10 years, game time has increase from 3:17 to 3:32 — 15 minutes.
Over the same span, the number of plays has dropped from 144 to 138 — six fewer plays.
We're getting less action spread over a longer time.

Reactions: saluno22
I am not fond of this rule , it changes what I feel is the best part of Football .(As previously mentioned ) That is , the last drive or the attempted come back drives at the end of the game .

I am not fond of this rule , it changes what I feel is the best part of Football .(As previously mentioned ) That is , the last drive or the attempted come back drives at the end of the game .
I thought that, too, at first and then looked into it more. The clock will still stop after first downs in the last two minutes of each half.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Indeed. As a kid, I remember Husker games starting at 1:30 and ending by 4 or 4:15 p.m. at the latest.

In just the last 10 years, game time has increase from 3:17 to 3:32 — 15 minutes.
Over the same span, the number of plays has dropped from 144 to 138 — six fewer plays.
Yay commercials!

9and4, I think a lot of that back in the day had to do with teams ran the ball back then a little more..And the fact not as many games were televised..

Reactions: saluno22 and 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT