ADVERTISEMENT

New locker room named Frank Solich locker room

For those who missed it.
Thanks HBK.
You could tell that he was very touched by this honor, very happy for him he was one of the first players I remember from the very beginning with the likes of Bob Brown, Tony Jeter, Freeman White, Harry Wilson, Fred Duda, Bob Churchich , Larry Wachholts and Wayne Melan..

Good man, should have been given more years after the course correct in 03, but I don't think he would have won a conference title again....I don't think he won one at Ohio even.

Good man, should have been given more years after the course correct in 03, but I don't think he would have won a conference title again....I don't think he won one at Ohio even.
No he didn’t but he made Ohio pretty respectable, they weren’t very good before he arrived..

FS and Peddy didn’t get along from the get go back in the 1980’s and Pederson was distend to make a mark on this program and Solich wasn’t in his plans..

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Did I read correctly that they were naming the toilet area Coach Frost Commode Room?
I was thinking the same thing. Evidently, there's a number of people who still pine for Coach Solich. He'll always be a Husker, no doubt. Firing Coach Solich was the right thing to do. Hiring the right coach is a different argument altogether. I think we have our coach.

I was thinking the same thing. Evidently, there's a number of people who still pine for Coach Solich. He'll always be a Husker, no doubt. Firing Coach Solich was the right thing to do. Hiring the right coach is a different argument altogether. I think we have our coach.
The timing was awful. I think if Frank would have gotten another year given his recruiting, he would have had another bad year. His schedule that last year was extremely weak. The next year was a tougher schedule. In hindsight Frank probably deserved more time to fail if he was going to.

Thanks HBK.
You could tell that he was very touched by this honor, very happy for him he was one of the first players I remember from the very beginning with the likes of Bob Brown, Tony Jeter, Freeman White, Harry Wilson, Fred Duda, Bob Churchich , Larry Wachholts and Wayne Melan..
Yep scarlet, you and I were not even teenagers when those mentioned were building the program it later became.

My favorite was Wayne Meylan, and how the hell does a Nose Guard manage to block multiple punts? Awesome.

Reactions: scarletred
The timing was awful. I think if Frank would have gotten another year given his recruiting, he would have had another bad year. His schedule that last year was extremely weak. The next year was a tougher schedule. In hindsight Frank probably deserved more time to fail if he was going to.
There's no doubt in my mind, Solich was in over his head at NU as the head coach. He always had that "deer in the headlights look" when things got real tight. Having said that, the way he was fired was premature, because another year or so and maybe a lot of fans would have been clamoring for a change anyway.

Frank did finish his coaching career at a level where he was probably meant to be as a head coach. The way Rhule has tried to bring Solich back in the fold is pretty cool though.

He got boatraced by the only good teams on that weak schedule.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I believe we can all agree that college offenses were changing in the early 2000’s. It was no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it was spread them out and win outside the numbers. Some of those losses to OU and CU were horrifying at the time to a fanbase so use to winning and winning big. Who’s to say the game wouldn’t have eventually passed Osborne by had he continued to coach?

Hindsight is 20/20 and I believe we can all agree that college offenses were changing in the early 2000’s. It was no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust, it was spread them out and win outside the numbers. Some of those losses to OU and CU were horrifying at the time to a fanbase so use to winning and winning big. Who’s to say the game wouldn’t have eventually passed Osborne by had he continued to coach?
For some of you that haven’t seen the documentary Day by Day, Osborne told Frank 4 years prior that he was going to step down as Head Coach..Those were the words that TO said.. So he had no intention of Coaching past 1997..

At the time, firing a 10 win coach really seemed to scare off some better HC candidates. I mean, Houston Nutt and Bill Callahan?

He should have been given 1 more year to sink or swim IMO.

Steve Pederson is in the same category as Frost as far as I’m concerned.
Throw in Harvey Perlman in there also. The thing is Steve thought he had his guy it fell through and he had no backup plan.
Then he found out not to many coaches want to work for a AD that just canned a 10 win and 75 plus percentage coach. Than it happened again with Bo and I like Bo personally but I understand why he was dismissed. The problem was we had people in Charge (Eichorst and Perlman) that had no clue how to hire a coach.

For some of you that haven’t seen the documentary Day by Day, Osborne told Frank 4 years prior that he was going to step down as Head Coach..Those were the words that TO said.. So he had no intention of Coaching past 1997..
Tom could easily have died before his last bowl game. He downplays how seriously ill he was before that game. He needed to retire. The stress of of continuing would have killed him.

Throw in Harvey Perlman in there also. The thing is Steve thought he had his guy it fell through and he had no backup plan.
Then he found out not to many coaches want to work for a AD that just canned a 10 win and 75 plus percentage coach. Than it happened again with Bo and I like Bo personally but I understand why he was dismissed. The problem was we had people in Charge (Eichorst and Perlman) that had no clue how to hire a coach.
I think that's the fairest shortest synopsis of the situation I've seen on here. I like Frank. I was surprised when I learned he was going to be fired. I don't hate Bo, but wanted him gone long before it happened. Contrast Bo's apparent lack of appreciation for the Nebraska job an it's fans to Rhule's approach. There's a degree of professionalism that's required to hold the Nebraska job that Bo just couldn't muster. I still think IF Bo were to get another shot at a P5 head coaching job that he would do a better job than he did at NU.

The problem is that all the changes he made on his staff wasn’t going to help recruiting top players. Times were changing in college football and Nebraska was slow or refused to change

Frank's problem was made even more difficult because he kept so much of TO's staff. Those guys could develop and coach but I've read many no longer wanted to recruit.
There’s the other issue, TO put the pressure on to keep them.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Nothing screams that we are a dying brand like naming your locker room after a guy who coached 16 years at Ohio and ended up with a grand total of zero MAC conf titles

We named the locker room after the Kirk Ferentz of the MAC. Ferentz at least is mediocre in a power conference. We are rewarding MAC mediocrity.

Other notable career highlights of the coach whose name is attached to our locker room

- coach his Neb team to the first 7 loss season in the previous 44 years

- arrested passed out in his car with it facing the wrong direction on the street (I wonder if his mug shot is framed and is hanging in the locker room)

- while at Neb engaged in an extramarital affair with a coed that may or may not have resulted in a pregnancy

Terrible decision - embarrassing.
Account opened today........check.
Critical of something NU.........check.

Red Michelle failed her chlamydia test, AGAIN.

Account opened today........check.
Critical of something NU.........check.

Red Michelle failed her chlamydia test, AGAIN.
Nothing screams that we are a dying brand like naming your locker room after a guy who coached 16 years at Ohio and ended up with a grand total of zero MAC conf titles

We named the locker room after the Kirk Ferentz of the MAC. Ferentz at least is mediocre in a power conference. We are rewarding MAC mediocrity.

Other notable career highlights of the coach whose name is attached to our locker room

- arrested passed out in his car with it facing the wrong direction on the street (I wonder if his mug shot is framed and is hanging in the locker room)

- while at Neb engaged in an extramarital affair with a coed that may or may not have resulted in a pregnancy

Jesus you need help.

You should be embarrassed. Terrible attempt to be a troll. Do better

At the time, firing a 10 win coach really seemed to scare off some better HC candidates. I mean, Houston Nutt and Bill Callahan?

He should have been given 1 more year to SINK IMO.

Steve Pederson is in the same category as Frost as far as I’m concerned.
fify

Agree. Just would have been nice if Osborne wouldn't have pulled his sh!t and saddled us with an average coach to begin with.
there were going to be problems no matter who replaced Tom IMO. Following him was likely going to be a no win situation for anybody. Logically the most likely way to keep things rolling was to retain Frank. It worked for a little while.

there were going to be problems no matter who replaced Tom IMO. Following him was likely going to be a no win situation for anybody. Logically the most likely way to keep things rolling was to retain Frank. It worked for a little while.
Yeah takes awhile for that sports car to completely stop working when you stop all maintenance.

Anyone else wonder who Bill Byrne would have interviewed/hired for head coach if given the chance?
PDKzCpu.png

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Anyone else wonder who Bill Byrne would have interviewed/hired for head coach if given the chance?
PDKzCpu.png
Lots of people have said Mac Brown was all ready for the job and would have jumped at the opportunity.

But who knows?

Reactions: bigboxes
No. They should have done a proper search. That's why they pay the AD the big bucks.
I’m not saying they shouldn’t have. I’m saying the end result would have likely been similar. The guy that follows “the MAN” never measures up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT