ADVERTISEMENT

New Facility = Eye sore

CornHusker_635

Walk On
Dec 14, 2017

Am I the only one that thinks the new facility is absolutely hideous? Who was the guy who signed off on the design of this.

The design matches none of the other buildings on campus. Especially the west side of memorial stadium, which it not only is directly next to, but is actually covering a portion of it.

This is the equivalent of putting a Kwik Trip next to the Vatican.

For a building you hope has at least 50 years of use, you’d think they wouldn’t go with such a ridiculous design that will surely be outdated in 10 years. Should have matched west stadium façade.

I’m sure functionality is fine. But once again, Nebraska missing on the little things.

So they should make it old and outdated now to match the others? Looks like that’s just the bones at this point without any decorative stone on it- may be too early to tell if it will match or look good with the stadium.
With this logic we should have covered the entire west stadium in glass during the recent renovation.

Instead they integrated more classic design with red brick and limestone (as most other campus buildings have) with modern amenities and functionality

Pretty typical low intelligence response from someone who probably spends half their time at a kwik trip
Really? That’s like framing up a house and having plywood on it and saying it looks like crap and doesn’t belong in the neighborhood.

Look at the artist sketches posted everywhere to see the actual design. It ties in very nicely and will be a great addition to campus.

Really? That’s like framing up a house and having plywood on it and saying it looks like crap and doesn’t belong in the neighborhood.

Look at the artist sketches posted everywhere to see the actual design. It ties in very nicely and will be a great addition to campus.
Yes because the west side of the stadium and the old coliseum that it is in the middle of are made of ply wood. Makes sense. Yup.

Pretty typical low intelligence response from someone who probably spends half their time at a kwik trip
Low intelligence - by saying the project is no where near complete and it’s too early to tell how the design elements will be integrated?

Kevin James Kingofqueens GIF by TV Land

need to wait and see

IMO - the athletic department needed to stop treating the no debt issue like some kind of badge of honor and gotten the thing completed a year or 2 ago

Wan'dale as a frosh was with Frost and Moos to introduce it and it still isn't completed

parts of it are going to be outdated before it is even open

need to wait and see

IMO - the athletic department needed to stop treating the no debt issue like some kind of badge of honor and gotten the thing completed a year or 2 ago

Wan'dale as a frosh was with Frost and Moos to introduce it and it still isn't completed

Agreed.

I was in attendance that day fwiw.

need to wait and see

Fiscal responsibility is for idiots at KwikTrip.

I wouldn’t care much about the aesthetic of the building at all if the building wasn’t directly next to arguably the 3 most history buildings on campus (memorial stadium, the coliseum, mammoth hall, etc).

Not only that, but literally covering a section of memorial stadium up.

This is the equivalent of putting a bumper sticker on a Bentley.

Neon uniforms are next I’m sure.

Reactions: huntered
need to wait and see

You have to remember after they announced it that day . A little thing called COVID hit and pushed everything back..

Grrrrr. I hate it when facts get the way of a horrible take.

It’s going to be sweet and will join the place along side other historic buildings.
I think once it's done, and some trees are planted. Grass is N and it all comes together he may change his mind. It's going to be a game changer. Inside and out in my opinion. GBR!!

You have to remember after they announced it that day . A little thing called COVID hit and pushed everything back..
Yup. Lost a year at least. Supply chain shortages. Worker shortages, etc. I was in the middle of my home build at that time. Was supposed to move in September 1st. Moved in 2 days before Christmas. :mad:

Last edited:
Grrrrr. I hate it when facts get the way of a horrible take.

It’s going to be sweet and will be another historic building well into the future.
Lol what. He was replying to his original post which was Nebraska sharing the original renderings. Which were in fact appropriate design imo.

Looks like they then went cheap. And subsequently released a new rendering video. Which is what is now being built. Which he then posted. Which also proved what I had replied back to him.

it got pushed back because the costs of construction went up and the ath dept put a pause on things to raise additional funds rather than say just get it completed and we will come up with the funds later

Rhule had to light a fire under the ath departments ass even this year to get it even partially completed to start the season

it got pushed back because the costs of construction went up and the ath dept put a pause on things to raise additional funds rather than say just get it completed and we will come up with the funds later

Rhule had to light a fire under the ath departments ass even this year to get it even partially completed to start the season
And the cost of constructions going up was a direct result of Covid.

And the cost of constructions going up was a direct result of Covid.
absolutely - and the decision to not take on debt and thus delay completion was the ath departments/university

none of it was going to be ready for this season until Rhule had to step in and do Trev's job

a completed facility sure would have helped recruiting last year and this year - but alas recruits had to sit through another year of watching a video or trudge around in the dirt wearing hard hats

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_
The new facility is next to east stadium, not west. And I think the exterior of the stadium looks like a mall parking lot bank building thrown up by the lowest bidder in 1998. Nothing notable about it at all.

I was just going to point this out that this building is on the Northeast side of Memorial Stadium, Stadium Drive runs adjacent to the west side of Memorial Stadium. The team will enter the field from the northeast gate starting this season, with the visiting team continuing to enter from the southwest gate.

if we don’t become football relevant in the next five years, it won’t be because of lack of facilities. Or probably coaching and strength and conditioning programs now. Nebraska NIL will have time to help chip away at our ineptitude. By 2030 if we continue to suck, flounder or lean heavily to mediocrity this will be the new norm.

Our lack of population in-state and surrounding area will defeat any desperate measure to really right the ship. Thank God women's volleyball will provide sports entertainment in the fall for Nebraska sports fans. Volleyball is safe and football is always a question of relevancy nationally. Incidentally, I think Matt Rhule will make us football relevant but the question is how relevant?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT