ADVERTISEMENT

Nebrasketball Favored by 7.5 over Bucknuts

Palmer is not the reason this team has zero depth and in seven years can’t figure out a zone. Year after year shooting has been sub par under Miles. Call it coaching...call it recruiting. It all falls on mediocre Miles.
I guarantee you that this team has been taught how to beat a zone. Whether they choose to do what they're taught may be another matter. I call it recruiting and retention of the guys you get and that does in fact fall squarely on Miles. What is sad is that even given that this is one of the most talented teams we've had in years, our deficiencies are glaring. One can complain all one wants about the offense Miles tries to run but we got beat on the defensive end and on numerous rebounds that we should have gotten. Palmer was the worst offender not hustling back on run outs and not going for loose balls. I don't normally like to call players out but for a guy who is supposedly all B1G his effort is uninspiring. They could turn this around but IF they don't,Miles is gonzo.

Just had a conversation with a family member who knows people on the periphery of the athletic department. Word is the locker room is horrible because they don’t like Palmer. He’s Miles’ golden boy who does whatever he wants. Supposedly not much love between the top dogs. If true, explains a lot and goes right back to the coach.
Makes sense. Heavier hand needed at the wheel, ASAP.

Yes....the PBA facilities are great...yes very nice facilities that are owned by the city of Lincoln...that generate more income for the city of Lincoln as a concert venue then a sports venue. But you can have the best facilities around, nothing has ever proven a recruit came to Nebraska because of great facilities. I do agree with you that slappy the clown Miles is the issue. If you have a mediocre coach.....so goes the program...so yes, there has not been a priority place on the basketball program by the university.

And PBA would have never been built if the UNL basketball program wouldn't have committed to playing in the facility. The fact is...our administration has done everything with regard to facilities to bring talented players here. If facilities didn't bring athletes in, there wouldn't be an arms race in facilities. Sure, facilities don't immediately sell a player on a certain school, but they do have a substantial impact with some recruits.

Where they've failed is building all of these great facilities, and then going cheap on the head coach. They need to be fully committed to not only facilities, but to bringing in a highly qualified staff.

Just had a conversation with a family member who knows people on the periphery of the athletic department. Word is the locker room is horrible because they don’t like Palmer. He’s Miles’ golden boy who does whatever he wants. Supposedly not much love between the top dogs. If true, explains a lot and goes right back to the coach.
Please, no. I coached 8th grade girls basketball for 5 years. Noooooooo!!!!

Yes....the PBA facilities are great...yes very nice facilities that are owned by the city of Lincoln...that generate more income for the city of Lincoln as a concert venue then a sports venue. But you can have the best facilities around, nothing has ever proven a recruit came to Nebraska because of great facilities. I do agree with you that slappy the clown Miles is the issue. If you have a mediocre coach.....so goes the program...so yes, there has not been a priority place on the basketball program by the university.
Nobody is saying that facilities alone will bring in recruits. But for years, before the arena was built, we were told that our facilities were very mediocre and were hurting recruiting and that no really good coach would come here until we showed a commitment to basketball by upgrading our facilities. Well.... we did. And Miles did recruit better. He did bring in some talent. And yet we suck. That is coaching.

And PBA would have never been built if the UNL basketball program wouldn't have committed to playing in the facility. The fact is...our administration has done everything with regard to facilities to bring talented players here. If facilities didn't bring athletes in, there wouldn't be an arms race in facilities. Sure, facilities don't immediately sell a player on a certain school, but they do have a substantial impact with some recruits.

Where they've failed is building all of these great facilities, and then going cheap on the head coach. They need to be fully committed to not only facilities, but to bringing in a highly qualified staff.
I guess I can agree with that because PBA would not have been funded by the city of Lincoln without the University's urging and commitment. It isn't surprising however that Nebraska has tried to go cheap with coaching ....they were always that way in Football and Basketball.....until Scott Frost....so maybe there is hope for basketball while the PBA is still new looking and attractive!

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Nobody is saying that facilities alone will bring in recruits. But for years, before the arena was built, we were told that our facilities were very mediocre and were hurting recruiting and that no really good coach would come here until we showed a commitment to basketball by upgrading our facilities. Well.... we did. And Miles did recruit better. He did bring in some talent. And yet we suck. That is coaching.
I do have to disagree with parts of your comment..because there ARE those who say facilities alone will bring in recruits....they have been saying that since PBA was opened. I do agree though that we were told before it was built that the Devaney was costing us recruits and needed to be up graded which it did....and I also agree that it is the coaching that has been the issue....it was apparent several years ago that Miles was in over his head and not the answer.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I do have to disagree with parts of your comment..because there ARE those who say facilities alone will bring in recruits....they have been saying that since PBA was opened. I do agree though that we were told before it was built that the Devaney was costing us recruits and needed to be up graded which it did....and I also agree that it is the coaching that has been the issue....it was apparent several years ago that Miles was in over his head and not the answer.
Facilities do help to bring in recruits. If they didn’t then heck, we could still be playing in the old coliseum. Not trying to be argumentative since you agreed with most of my post. But show me one example from this board of someone claiming that facilities alone will bring in recruits, regardless of coaching. The fact is this: both facilities and good coaching are required to build a winning program. And I doubt there is a single person on this board who would disagree with that.

Reactions: Dadmaster

It’s more then the PBA, it’s the new Men’s and women’s basketball facilities...
New facilities at Kansas and Kentucky sure help their recruiting and they’re blue blood programs..

We’ve given Miles long enough it’s about time we get new face on the side lines that can actually Coach a offense..

Facilities do help to bring in recruits. If they didn’t then heck, we could still be playing in the old coliseum. Not trying to be argumentative since you agreed with most of my post. But show me one example from this board of someone claiming that facilities alone will bring in recruits, regardless of coaching. The fact is this: both facilities and good coaching are required to build a winning program. And I doubt there is a single person on this board who would disagree with that.
I didn't necessarily mean comments from this group.....but I agree with you ...facilities, as long as GOOD coaching is in place as well, will attract recruits....which is why we have not had a good big man since Miles arrived.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It’s more then the PBA, it’s the new Men’s and women’s basketball facilities...
New facilities at Kansas and Kentucky sure help their recruiting and they’re blue blood programs..

We’ve given Miles long enough it’s about time we get new face on the side lines that can actually Coach a offense..
New arenas provide more revenue by attracting larger crowds with better amenities. Large crowds on recruiting visits help attract higher level recruits. Winning and tradition trump all of that but the KUs of the world have still spent millions upgrading facilities. No matter how much we spend at NU, it will always be a struggle to land in the top half of the B1G in basketball. It's just the competitive nature of the sport. Ultimately recruiting success depends on these things in this order IMO:
1. Coach's rep.
2. Tradition of winning
3. Facilities
4. Natural recruiting base.

New arenas provide more revenue by attracting larger crowds with better amenities. Large crowds on recruiting visits help attract higher level recruits. Winning and tradition trump all of that but the KUs of the world have still spent millions upgrading facilities. No matter how much we spend at NU, it will always be a struggle to land in the top half of the B1G in basketball. It's just the competitive nature of the sport. Ultimately recruiting success depends on these things in this order IMO:
1. Coach's rep.
2. Tradition of winning
3. Facilities
4. Natural recruiting base.

Ahhh, I never said other wise, I just said it’s more than the PBA..

With a competent Head Coach this program should be in the top half of the conference with all the facilities and new arena..

Ahhh, I never said other wise, I just said it’s more than the PBA..

With a competent Head Coach this program should be in the top half of the conference with all the facilities and new arena..
Somebody replying to your post does not mean they are disagreeing with your post.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT