ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska / MSU....

cdriftt24

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 29, 2012
Does Nebraska pull the HUGE upset and extend their nation leading 20 game Home winning streak tomorrow night? If we play as well against MSU as we did against Indiana (minus the 9:30 scoring draught late in the first half). I think we have a shot. We will have to rebound and get some quality bench production I think to win, but I have hope that we can do it.... Not sure on the spread yet

Michigan State will be down two starters to injury. They may not even be favored. It won't be classified as a "huge upset."

Reactions: cdriftt24
I get that but beating the #6 team in the country when you aren't ranked with the tradition and prestige of MSU I would consider to be a Huge Upset. Especially for this team at this moment in the season.... Just my opinion.

Michigan State will be down two starters to injury. They may not even be favored. It won't be classified as a "huge upset."

Technically not two starters since Ahrens starts when Langford is injured.

But we went from having 3 ‘plus’ bench players to only having one with both those guys out and being pretty thin at guard. We play two true frosh in Loyer and Brown way more than they should be due to those injuries.

I think we have a big advantage in the post and that’s where we will make our money

Last edited:
Technically not two starters since Ahrens starts when Langford is injured.

But we went from having 3 ‘plus’ bench players to only having one with both those guys out and being pretty thin at guard. We play two true frosh in Loyer and Brown way more than they should be due to those injuries.
Thanks for the input, what are your thoughts about the game. Are you worried about Nebraska at all or do you feel that MSU will come in and get the W?

I get that but beating the #6 team in the country when you aren't ranked with the tradition and prestige of MSU I would consider to be a Huge Upset. Especially for this team at this moment in the season.... Just my opinion.

According to NET, Ken Pomeroy, and Sagarin, Nebraska is only ranked a few spots behind Michigan State. Vegas will probably have Nebraska -1 to +1.

The AP rankings have been pretty laughable all season.

Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
If Nu trades 3s for 2s and are hitting them.. we win big at home.. i agree its down low where MSU has the advantage. NU needs to play defense..hands up and in the passing lanes and get out on the break for easy transition buckets.. they cant let MSU force their kinda game on us like they did iowa early

Reactions: baseball31ne
A great opportunity for Nebraska. This is not a ‘Must’ win, but a ‘nice to have’. A win puts a lot more capital in the NCAA Tournament bank. A loss doesn’t hurt much - but it means NU will likely need to win out at home or pick up a surprise road win.

Yeah this is two NET top 10 teams. Top 11 if you look at kenpom etc... all reputable sources.

upset? maybe. Huge? not even close.

The only way the word upset should enter this conversation is that if we get blown out we have a right to be extremely upset.

From an MSU perspective we’re def concerned about the game. You guys have a great home court environment. I’m sure it’ll be rocking for MSU. Nebraska’s athleticism & ability to create off the dribble is prob my biggest concern. The Roby-Ward matchup in the middle should be interesting. Will Roby’s quickness or Ward’s power get the other in foul trouble? Two experienced teams. Both like to run. It should be a very good game. It could just come down to whichever team can keep it key guys out of foul trouble.

Yep... should be fun. It's two good teams.

To be honest, if we want a good NCAA seed/region, we need this game. We don't get Michigan at home and our other game with you is obviously at your place. Can't go 0-3 in those games and hope to get some favoritism on selection sunday.

To be honest, i feel like we're competing with you for a 2/3 in the midwest region. Call it a quirk, but i'd love to play some games in kansas city (you know... 3 hours from campus). No advantage there at all.

Reactions: LRob
Yep... should be fun. It's two good teams.

To be honest, if we want a good NCAA seed/region, we need this game. We don't get Michigan at home and our other game with you is obviously at your place. Can't go 0-3 in those games and hope to get some favoritism on selection sunday.

To be honest, i feel like we're competing with you for a 2/3 in the midwest region. Call it a quirk, but i'd love to play some games in kansas city (you know... 3 hours from campus). No advantage there at all.

I think the Huskers would need to finis 12-2 to shore up a 2 or 3 seed. 9 or 10 more wins seems more likely.

Agree that it's not a must win, nor would it be a huge upset. But like the Indiana game, it would go a long way toward positioning Nebraska as one of the better teams in the conference. While taking care of business at home against teams like Penn State and Illinois is important, that type of win just doesn't do that.

I think the Huskers would need to finis 12-2 to shore up a 2 or 3 seed. 9 or 10 more wins seems more likely.

12-2 might leave us in the top 5 in the NET. Damn close if nothing else. That's 25-6 in a conference with 10 bids. You'd probably be a 2-seed lock unless you completely bomb the b1g tournament and if you won it you might take that 1 seed away from michigan.

It's a bit of a stretch but not much.

Yes, really. I've seen way weirder stuff.

The tournament is going to be the decider but i can guarantee if we go 0-4 (including the tourney) against MSU/Michigan we're probably looking at a 4 or 5 at best.

Point with this? Not really anything other than we just need to take it a game at a time. Win this one and our opportunities REALLY open up.

on a slightly other topic... I half want to make a joke at being on the 1-seed bubble given how negative this board has been about this team with all the bubble talk when we're nowhere close.

From an MSU perspective we’re def concerned about the game. You guys have a great home court environment. I’m sure it’ll be rocking for MSU. Nebraska’s athleticism & ability to create off the dribble is prob my biggest concern. The Roby-Ward matchup in the middle should be interesting. Will Roby’s quickness or Ward’s power get the other in foul trouble? Two experienced teams. Both like to run. It should be a very good game. It could just come down to whichever team can keep it key guys out of foul trouble.
Lucky for you Roby draws fouls for breathing to hard.

If MSU is healthy we’d likely competing for a #1 seed. But that’s a big if especially Langford. Louisville is our preferred destination. 5 hrs away vs 10hrs to Kansas City.

MSU is -1. Load up on Sparty.

Disclaimer: I am admittedly terrible at picking point spreads and counseled everyone to load up on Indiana -2.

MSU’s clear advantage is in the front court. I’d imagine staying out of foul trouble with your front court will be key. Do you have any serviceable bigs off the bench?
That would be senior walkon Tanner Borchardt (Bor-kart), 6-8, 250. Five star heart, two star feet but this guy really is serviceable and will go to the hoop. Can use his muscle effectively at times.

Starting to wonder if he just might be playing his way onto a European roster somewhere.

That would be senior walkon Tanner Borchardt (Bor-kart), 6-8, 250. Five star heart, two star feet but this guy really is serviceable and will go to the hoop. Can use his muscle effectively at times.

Starting to wonder if he just might be playing his way onto a European roster somewhere.
He doesn't have much of a vertical jump, but I think he edges out Jordy's 2" vertical from last year.

He doesn't have much of a vertical jump, but I think he edges out Jordy's 2" vertical from last year.

Borchart also realizes he is not a point guard and does not attempt to show off non-existent ball handling skills near the basket.

I’m actually kinda surprised we aren’t favored to win. Considering our history at home and MSU being without a few players.

Key IMO will be how the refs call the game. Can’t afford to have Roby or Palmer in foul trouble.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
According to NET, Ken Pomeroy, and Sagarin, Nebraska is only ranked a few spots behind Michigan State. Vegas will probably have Nebraska -1 to +1.

The AP rankings have been pretty laughable all season.

Yes they have like when
we’re ranked 24 and fell out of the rankings with our lossing a game during the week..

Does Nebraska pull the HUGE upset and extend their nation leading 20 game Home winning streak tomorrow night? If we play as well against MSU as we did against Indiana (minus the 9:30 scoring draught late in the first half). I think we have a shot. We will have to rebound and get some quality bench production I think to win, but I have hope that we can do it.... Not sure on the spread yet
HUGE in what context?

Name?

Michigan state is a 1.5 point favorite. Is that really a huge upset if we win? I will say it is a huge game for perception. That is completely different than a huge upset.

Nick Ward is the exact player that gives Nebraska problems. We hold Ward in check we win convincingly IMO. Ward goes off we could be in for a looooong night!

MSU’s clear advantage is in the front court. I’d imagine staying out of foul trouble with your front court will be key. Do you have any serviceable bigs off the bench?
It would be nice if our bench is healthy tonight. Ameer Harris — a long 6-6 wing with good handles — has played just a few minutes over the last month because of a case of mono. Nana Akenten — another 6-6 wing, but a good shooter as opposed to ballhandler — has missed time because of an unspecified illness. Though they're not front-court players, they can provide some rebounding if and when Roby and others need a rest or get into foul trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
I’m actually kinda surprised we aren’t favored to win. Considering our history at home and MSU being without a few players.

Key IMO will be how the refs call the game. Can’t afford to have Roby or Palmer in foul trouble.
After the breaks you got the other night against IU with at least a dozen no calls, you can bet that Izzo pointed out those no calls to the director of b-ball refs for the big ten. And believe me, Izzo holds a much higher level of respect with the Big Ten, a lot more then Miles does as a coach or Nebraska does ad a b-ball team. And I am sure that, and yes you beat us and we lost, that Archie made and pointed out to the director the disparity of how fouls were called. You can bet that Nebraska does not get as many breaks with the whistle tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT