ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska is on a short list

...of teams with a 9-3 record and only 1 All Conference player. Maybe MR and the boys did a pretty good job this year with a limited talent pool?

So if they went 10-2, which likely would have landed more players on All-Conference, would MR and the boys have done a worse job?

Reactions: TFrazierOnThe1s&2s
This is classic chicken and the egg. Draw a division with good coaches and bad players or bad coaches and good players.

I'm not gonna make time for it.

Reactions: inorbit
Gerry & Westercamp will get drafted (and they got recognition). Who else?

We had WR's running open all year. Hard NOT to think that with a higher completion % some of these guys wouldn't have gotten more conference recognition.

GBR

No we did not....He missed a lot of throws but running wide open all year is not true...plus the drops......These Wrs were highly overrated.

Not even going to talk about him taking pressure at the snap of the ball..and you guys expecting him to be accurate and see the entire field. .because you guys act like you never seen football before just to criticize Tommy.

Reactions: SOHusker11
We'll see come draft time....

Final NFL rosters will be a better test IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the first year since 1962 that we don't have any guys in the draft. CBS.com only has Gerry being drafted right now and in the last round. And his stock may go down after the Iowa game.

But being drafted does not tell me "if the issue is the coaches or players". Making a dam squad tells me that.

Want to see a redflag about Bo? What do the following former huskers all have in common?

Will Compton
Jeremiah Sirles
Brent Qvale
Givens Price
Zaire Anderson
Trevor Roach
Mohammed Seisay

If you guessed all still employed in the NFL and all undrafted, then you guessed correctly. Add in the guys that were drafted and those 2013 / 2014-ish teams had actually a ton more talent then we thought at the time.

Guys like Sirles or Compton, who don't get drafted & end up being starters in the NFL, kind of tell me that their body of work in college wasn't good enough to be drafted but when the NFL staff's got their hands on them, coached them up, their play went way up.

I just look at the ex-huskers O-line players in the NFL right now and SMH. I remember people on this board stating a few years that the line had no talent. It appears it did have talent, we just didn't have a good enough staff to work it.

And I highly expect at the end of the day, Westy, Reilly, Bando, & Carter all to be FA signings that will make NFL rosters next year. Maybe just on the PS at first but they will still be there. And Gerry too, if he isn't drafted. And that's no shame on this current staff. I think a guy like Bando developed bad habits under the old staff that the new staff couldn't break. In the NFL, they will break them or he'll sink. Kid has a ton of talent, someone just needs to tap into it correctly.

Final NFL rosters will be a better test IMO. It wouldn't surprise me if this is the first year since 1962 that we don't have any guys in the draft. CBS.com only has Gerry being drafted right now and in the last round. And his stock may go down after the Iowa game.
Westy, Gerry and Carter will be drafted.
But being drafted does not tell me "if the issue is the coaches or players". Making a dam squad tells me that.

Want to see a redflag about Bo? What do the following former huskers all have in common?

Will Compton
Jeremiah Sirles
Brent Qvale
Givens Price
Zaire Anderson
Trevor Roach
Mohammed Seisay

If you guessed all still employed in the NFL and all undrafted, then you guessed correctly. Add in the guys that were drafted and those 2013 / 2014-ish teams had actually a ton more talent then we thought at the time.

Guys like Sirles or Compton, who don't get drafted & end up being starters in the NFL, kind of tell me that their body of work in college wasn't good enough to be drafted but when the NFL staff's got their hands on them, coached them up, their play went way up.

I just look at the ex-huskers O-line players in the NFL right now and SMH. I remember people on this board stating a few years that the line had no talent. It appears it did have talent, we just didn't have a good enough staff to work it.

And I highly expect at the end of the day, Westy, Reilly, Bando, & Carter all to be FA signings that will make NFL rosters next year. Maybe just on the PS at first but the will still be there. And Gerry too, if he isn't drafted.
Westy, Gerry and Carter will be drafted. Keeping our I forgot how many year streak going of at least 1 Husker picked.

Westy, Gerry and Carter will be drafted. Keeping our I forgot how many year streak going of at least 1 Husker picked.
Gerry and Carter will be drafted for sure.. Westy is a maybe IMO, but this talk of zero is BS

Westy, Gerry and Carter will be drafted.

I am just reporting what CBS prospects rankings show. They've been pretty solid these last few years so I will default to them over you.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

I don't know if you realize this but there is a ton of WR talent in college football coming out this season. CBS ranks Westy 48 and there were only 31 WR's drafted last year. 35 the year before. It's no knock on him but his injuries will likely make him a FA candidate. And it really depends on the amount of JRs that come out too. Hate me all you want for stating that but that's a non-bias straight up opinion.

Again, with all of that being said, he'll make a roster. He's a perfect fit for the NFL. Being drafted means nothing when you don't make a roster. But his injury bug is enough to make him a FA and it really comes down to $. If teams think they can get him as a FA, they'll pass on drafting him to get him as a FA

Gerry and Carter will be drafted for sure.. Westy is a maybe IMO, but this talk of zero is BS

Gerry more likely then Carter. An average of ten TE are drafted. Same as with what I stated about Westy, look at the talent coming out @ TE (Howard, Hodges, Butt, etc). Is he a top ten guy in college football? My bias initial thought is yes. However, keeping an open mind, its not a guarantee. This is no bashing on our players, our coaches, or whatever. I am just stating how it is now. Can our guys have excellent Combine's? yes. Does that change things in the eyes of NFL teams? Hell yes it does.

But just like Westy, Carter has had a ton of injuries @ positions deep full of talent. That's not going to help him come draft time.

No we did not....He missed a lot of throws but running wide open all year is not true...plus the drops......These Wrs were highly overrated.

Not even going to talk about him taking pressure at the snap of the ball..and you guys expecting him to be accurate and see the entire field. .because you guys act like you never seen football before just to criticize Tommy.

Credit to Mr.Scary 13 for the stats

Here are some facts for Tommy Armstrong in 2016 (a four year starting senior)...

* His 51.4% completion ranked 109 of 111 qualified qbs this year with qbs attempting at least 15 passes a game.
* His 50.2% completion in Big play ranked dead last among quarterbacks.
* His 34.8% against ranked teams was dead last in the Big and 12 percentage points lower than the second worst. (Rutgers)
* In the 3 losses he hit 35.8% for 117.3 yards a game with 1 TD and 3 INTs.

TA was terrible ... between TA and the offensive line Langs should get a massive raise

I think the staff did a better job offensively of embracing boring victories.

Will Compton
Jeremiah Sirles
Brent Qvale
Givens Price
Zaire Anderson
Trevor Roach
Mohammed Seisay

And I highly expect at the end of the day, Westy, Reilly, Bando, & Carter all to be FA signings that will make NFL rosters next year. Maybe just on the PS at first but they will still be there. And Gerry too, if he isn't drafted. And that's no shame on this current staff. I think a guy like Bando developed bad habits under the old staff that the new staff couldn't break. In the NFL, they will break them or he'll sink. Kid has a ton of talent, someone just needs to tap into it correctly.
Whooooooooooooooa whoa whoa, you tryin' to tell me Barney Cotton isn't a top-notch coach???

I'll wait until the combines before having much of an opinion.

But raw rankings mean little. If the top 47 rated WR are outside guys, a team With a couple of receivers that can take the top off the defense, may use a 4th to 7th round pick on a slot receiver with good hands that isn't afraid to go across the middle.

Valentine was the 25th or so rated DT and was the 14th selected.

Just too early to say

Valentine was the 25th or so rated DT and was the 14th selected.

Just too early to say

Very true & I believe VV's pick shocked all of us. Belichick knows a hell of a lot more about football then any of us or the so called draft experts of the world & VV pick shows that.

And again, I don't know why "being drafted" is the bench mark. The bench mark IMO is making the roster.

Whoa Jeans...easy. I know what I saw and what I saw was many uncovered WR's (due to good playcalling) never get a glance. In EVERY GAME there were plays were the Defense failed to cover a WR. Hit that guy and he goes for a large gain or score everytime. This didn't happen because: either Tommy was running for his life (not his fault), he locked onto one WR, was determined pre-snap where he was going to go with the ball, or simply made a poor throw. I guess we'll just disagree on this b/c I do think our WR's would look better if they had had better QB this season...along the same lines one could argue that Tommy would've looked better with better OL play (& you'd likely be right there too!)

GBR

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

Here are some facts for Tommy Armstrong in 2016 (a four year starting senior)...

* His 51.4% completion ranked 109 of 111 qualified qbs this year with qbs attempting at least 15 passes a game.
* His 34.8% against ranked teams was dead last in the Big and 12 percentage points lower than the second worst. (Rutgers)

TA was terrible ... between TA and the offensive line Langs should get a massive raise

I think Tommy needs a nickname change from Tommy Gun to Flintlock Pistol

I believe Carter is far and away the best talent going into the draft from Nebraska. He's got a legit chance to be really good, the rest, I just don't see it.

Westy will be good. His route running and hands are elite. Speed may hold him back but his precision how to run routes and to get open will make up for that.

Gerry could be a much better player with a more focused approach/coaching. He had to clean up a lot of messes here...

GBR

Gerry more likely then Carter. An average of ten TE are drafted. Same as with what I stated about Westy, look at the talent coming out @ TE (Howard, Hodges, Butt, etc). Is he a top ten guy in college football? My bias initial thought is yes. However, keeping an open mind, its not a guarantee. This is no bashing on our players, our coaches, or whatever. I am just stating how it is now. Can our guys have excellent Combine's? yes. Does that change things in the eyes of NFL teams? Hell yes it does.

But just like Westy, Carter has had a ton of injuries @ positions deep full of talent. That's not going to help him come draft time.
Good points.. Those you mentioned are first day types, I think Gerry will be a 3rd rounder and Carter a 5th.. After that most likely free agency for Moore, Reilly, banderas.. Etc. Maurice and westy are borderline IMO

Even in this tight end class?
Yup, I think he will put together some great combine numbers. If CC had played with a QB who went through his check downs and progressions his catches and yards would have been off the charts. Injury hampered his senior year. I see him flourishing with the right offense and solid NFL QB. I don't see many LB's covering him and he is a great blocker to boot.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Yup, I think he will put together some great combine numbers. If CC had played with a QB who went through his check downs and progressions his catches and yards would have been off the charts. Injury hampered his senior year. I see him flourishing with the right offense and solid NFL QB. I don't see many LB's covering him and he is a great blocker to boot.
I agree, but he is going to have to go the extra mile to prove his hands are worthy. NFL tight ends need to catch absolutely everything they get their mits on.

Whoa Jeans...easy. I know what I saw and what I saw was many uncovered WR's (due to good playcalling) never get a glance. In EVERY GAME there were plays were the Defense failed to cover a WR. Hit that guy and he goes for a large gain or score everytime. This didn't happen because: either Tommy was running for his life (not his fault), he locked onto one WR, was determined pre-snap where he was going to go with the ball, or simply made a poor throw. I guess we'll just disagree on this b/c I do think our WR's would look better if they had had better QB this season...along the same lines one could argue that Tommy would've looked better with better OL play (& you'd likely be right there too!)

GBR

I wouldnt worry about explaining urself to jeans.

No avatar and a post n run. Either an HPH or some friend or relation to TA.

No one that actually has functioning eyes and above a 3rd grade education actually believes that our wr's were blanket covered in all our games.

Only vs tosu did our wr's have a hard time getting as much seperation, all other games we had MANY times during games with at least one (and usually more) wr's running open several plays a gam and TA didnt see them.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi

GBR

I wouldnt worry about explaining urself to jeans.

No avatar and a post n run. Either an HPH or some friend or relation to TA.

No one that actually has functioning eyes and above a 3rd grade education actually believes that our wr's were blanket covered in all our games.

Only vs tosu did our wr's have a hard time getting as much seperation, all other games we had MANY times during games with at least one (and usually more) wr's running open several plays a gam and TA didnt see them.

We would be stupid not to get POB bowl game experience.

STFU . .Newby....TA missed many throws...but these receivers were hit and miss every other game....and dropped the ball in big games except West and occasionally Reily....When was the last time Moore played, Morgan can only get open on rubs on a crossing pattern...I watch these games at least 6 times after the game before the next......They don't get open consistently...no matter what BS you try to say........And if they do, maybe the QB doesn't see them cause he has a junior high line blocking for him while he is throwing from the pocket at 6ft.

Our QB saved our season.....next year's QB will be my favorite because it's about Nebraska not the player.

I'm not a delusional fan and ignore the rest of the garbage that showed up on the field like you.

He was playing fine until everybody but him got hurt the rest of the offense bitched out accept a couple of offensive lineman....while he played through injury.

Sorry he missed a couple of blocks for himself.

I'm a Lions fan and Cethan Carter reminds me a lot of Eric Ebron. Ebron was overdrafted for sure so I'm not saying that Carter is going anywhere near #10 overall. But if he runs like Ebron (4.59 forty) and I think he'all be in that range then he'll get drafted higher than you think. End of day 2 is possible if he's in the 4.5s at 240-245 lbs.

Gerry will be our first player taken, and he will go in the first 2 rounds provided he doesn't sabotage himself before the draft. He's a 230 pound safety with speed and production numbers to back it up. He's a bigger version of Josh Bullocks who was a second round pick himself if I'm not mistaken.

Alonzo Moore is probably our only WR that has a game that translates well to the next level. Wouldn't be shocked to see him drafted.

...of teams with a 9-3 record and only 1 All Conference player. Maybe MR and the boys did a pretty good job this year with a limited talent pool?
Just evaluate how many of our starters / impact players would start at any of the top 15 schools and how many will make it to the pros compared to those other schools. Need to put 3-4 on each side in contention for awards first team conference and tot he pros.

We got very lucky on when we played each game. Look at what schools we beat after they made changes or got other players involved. We were never at full speed because of depth and drop off when a starter got hurt. We are ranked and predictably where we belong. Hopefully we can get healthy for a good bowel performance and continue to recruit well.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK4life
Just evaluate how many of our starters / impact players would start at any of the top 15 schools and how many will make it to the pros compared to those other schools. Need to put 3-4 on each side in contention for awards first team conference and tot he pros.

We got very luck on when we played each time. Look at what schools we beat after they made changes or got other players involved. We were never at full speed because of depth and drop off when a starter got hurt. We are ranked and predictably where we belong. Hopefully we can get healthy for a good bowel performance and continue to recruit well.
I always feel better after a good bowel performance. ;)

Gerry will be our first player taken, and he will go in the first 2 rounds provided he doesn't sabotage himself before the draft. He's a 230 pound safety with speed and production numbers to back it up. He's a bigger version of Josh Bullocks who was a second round pick himself if I'm not mistaken.

Alonzo Moore is probably our only WR that has a game that translates well to the next level. Wouldn't be shocked to see him drafted.

]Was this sarcasm? Sorry sometimes it gets lost in writing. Because Westy & BR have the goods for the NFL. It's been a Slotty league for a few years now. Literally go down the list of NFL teams and a ton of teams top WR is a slot. Baldwin (SEA), Crowder (Was), Laundry (Mia), Edelman (NE), Fitz (AZ), Matthews (PHI), & Tate (Det) to name a few.

Then you have the slots who may not be the #1 guy on their teams but are straight up ballers, Sanders (Den), Cobb (GB), Decker (NYJ) though hurt, & Cole Beasley is having a monster year.

Westy is a perfect fit for every team in the NFL. This is what they are calling the golden age of slot receivers. JW will be on your fantasy football team in 3 years and a must start in PPR leagues. With that being said, I still think he's a FA sign due to injury risks.

I don't see Zo making the cut. He has speed, athletic ability, and a little size but so do many unemployed ex-college football stars. I could be wrong but he primarily plays on the outside correct? I know that Brandon R also did too but I think he translates better to the inside in the NFL. And honestly, call me crazy but when it's all said & done, I could see Morgan being the best of all of them[/COLOR]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT