ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska hasn't been relevant this century

husker2612

Recruiting Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010
We hear this type of BS almost non stop from other fan bases. I guess that would depend on there definition of relevant. If people are using it as National title contenders than yes I suppose that could be accurate. Even as early as 2016 we were ranked at high as 7th and until we melted down we were viewed as a potential national contender.
Here is a top 20 list of teams with most wins since 2000. https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/College-footballs-winningest-programs-since-2000-113916135/

Now this list did not include last years results. Including last year Nebraska is 154-91 for a .628 win%
Which I believe would put us as a top 25 team on this list. While we haven't been a consistent NC level relevant for most of this century. We have been far from irrelevant.

You can go on numbers when dissecting "relevancy", I tend to go with more of a gut feel. Like the famous quote from a Supreme Court justice who said about obscenity "I know it when I see it", I feel the same about relevancy - I'll know it when I see it.

And I haven't seen it in a long time.

We hear this type of BS almost non stop from other fan bases. I guess that would depend on there definition of relevant. If people are using it as National title contenders than yes I suppose that could be accurate. Even as early as 2016 we were ranked at high as 7th and until we melted down we were viewed as a potential national contender.
Here is a top 20 list of teams with most wins since 2000. https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/College-footballs-winningest-programs-since-2000-113916135/

Now this list did not include last years results. Including last year Nebraska is 154-91 for a .628 win%
Which I believe would put us as a top 25 team on this list. While we haven't been a consistent NC level relevant for most of this century. We have been far from irrelevant.

Winning percentage wise 154-91 at .628 puts Nebraska 27th in the country..

Iowa is 151-91 and tied with BYU at .623 for 28th..

Reactions: husker2612

Im sure if someone wanted to dig. We could find a ton of stats to prove we have been a pretty decent team since 2000. I think coupled with the fact of how dominating we were in the 90s and these last 2-4 years of horrific football. People just assume that Nebraska has been abysmal since the turn of the century.
No we have not be in same ball park as the Alabamas, or Clemson, or Ohio St. But very very few teams have. When considering there are. 130 D 1 schools. Hanging in the top 19% even in our "down" stretch isn't as horrible as some would have us believe.

I will argue that win and loss % doesn’t make a program relevant. You can win 9 games a year every single year and be in the top 20 of that list and never have a single relevant season

Given the choice I would rather alternate 12-0 seasons with 0-12 seasons than go 8-4 or 9-3 every single year and never be nationally relevant. In scenario 1 you are in the NC hunt every other year but have a 50% win percentage. Scenario 2 you are never in the NC hunt but have 66-75% winning percentage.

Reactions: Sinomatic
I’ve seen a coaching staff dedicate themselves to changing the culture, mentality, physicality and accountability not only among the players but themselves! This has been some of the best recruiting I think we have had in a long time. They are developing into a team that can count on one another and grow from each other’s successes and failures.

It feels right!!!

Reactions: RedArmageddon
Im sure if someone wanted to dig. We could find a ton of stats to prove we have been a pretty decent team since 2000. I think coupled with the fact of how dominating we were in the 90s and these last 2-4 years of horrific football. People just assume that Nebraska has been abysmal since the turn of the century.
No we have not be in same ball park as the Alabamas, or Clemson, or Ohio St. But very very few teams have. When considering there are. 130 D 1 schools. Hanging in the top 19% even in our "down" stretch isn't as horrible as some would have us believe.

Now since 2010 it paints a different picture and is more relevant.

70-47 0.598 and tied with BYU for 43rd..

Ioway the last 10 years own’s a 71-46 record at 0.606 for 39th..

Mizzou is 40th at 70-46 0.603... Let that sink in..

Now since 2010 it paints a different picture and is more relevant.

70-47 0.598 and tied with BYU for 43rd..

Ioway the last 10 years own’s a 71-46 record at 0.606 for 39th..

Mizzou is 40th at 70-46 0.603... Let that sink in..
Exactly. If people want to say we have been irrelevant the last 5 years or even 10 years. I couldn't argue much with that. Again we are in a down period. It isn't going to look pretty, hence why it is a down period. Every Top/ blue blood has went through them. Why people think Nebraska's down period is some rarity is baffling.

Reactions: scarletred
It's basically been all down hill since they put :01 back on the clock vs Texas in 2009, with the exception of a few blips here and there. That's why things are going to to go batshit crazy when we actually win a few games that matter.

It is true that many fans of bad programs would be happy with our 2002-2018 record, but to me relevance means mattering enough to be discussed outside the state of Nebraska. If the OP has lived in NE most or all of his life I can see why he hasn’t noticed how much our program’s perception has fallen off the radar.

It's basically been all down hill since they put :01 back on the clock vs Texas in 2009, with the exception of a few blips here and there. That's why things are going to to go batshit crazy when we actually win a few games that matter.

Always be pissed off that the officials bailed them out with the football hitting a poll going out of bounds if it would have not hit the poll instead of the ground..

Only justification we have now is that the whorns are 63-32 0.547 and are 55th in winning pct during this period, worse than us.:)

Not the company I want to be with. Slumming compared to what I m used to. Top 10 is my definition of relevancy. Alot of programs would be happy with our record.... not me

Our best wins over the last 10 years have come against teams like Michigan St. I would say that alone makes us irrelevant.

Our best wins over the last 10 years have come against teams like Michigan St. I would say that alone makes us irrelevant.

Michigan St was rated 6th in 2015.
Missouri was Pelini biggest win 10 years ago.

Mizzou was rated 7th at the time of defeat..

Except Iowa has finished in the top 10 three times and won two Big Ten championships.

Iowa has not however been very consistent season to season.

Except Iowa has finished in the top 10 three times and won two Big Ten championships.

O.K Give you the ratings but they were shared Big 10 titles not outright...

Michigan beat Ioway Head to Head and National champ Ohio St didn’t play Ioway in 2002..

Reactions: SWIowahawks

Iowa has been consistently irrelevant. Everybody is used to this. Nothing has changed for Iowa in that regard since Elvis was being kicked off the television for swingin his loins in front of young girls.

It is true that many fans of bad programs would be happy with our 2002-2018 record, but to me relevance means mattering enough to be discussed outside the state of Nebraska. If the OP has lived in NE most or all of his life I can see why he hasn’t noticed how much our program’s perception has fallen off the radar.
I have lived all over the Midwest, but for the last 5 years I have lived in Nebraska. If a team isn't in the top 5 or 10 and in the hunt for a NC, most people don't pay attention to other teams that closely. Especially the national media. Think of the teams you hear about regularly the last few years. Clemson and Alabama by far the most, then maybe teams like Ohio St, Oklahoma, Georgia, ND, Michigan Outside of those few the rest of college football gets mentioned here and there. So to say that Nebraska hasn't been important enough to be discussed out side of Nebraska, while true, it can be said for 95% of all programs outside of their state.

Reactions: Bugeater
You know when Nebraska will truly be irrelevant? When you don’t see them on tv much or when about 50,000 or more fans stop going to the games.

College football at this time has shifted so heavily in favor of the south that it seems only a few others like tOhio State, Notre Dame, a Washington, USC occasionally, will join the party come playoff time. I think we all understand just how hard it’s going to be for Nebraska and many others to dent the can and get themselves into contention.

It’s been a rough stretch for Nebraska the past few years, as we all know, but getting back on the winning track comes first, after that, hopefully the coaches can leverage Nebraska into a NC contender, something I still see as being a ways down the road.

One game at a time boys, one game at a time!

If you remember correctly, I made this same type of post a month or two ago but I was comparing us to the other struggling Blue Bloods. Record wise we are right there with the other guys (Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas And USC). But a few people in here thought a few of these teams sneaking into a decent bowl game once ever 3-5 years and then doing nothin else the rest of the time, was apparently doing something. And I wasn’t arguing that, I was making the point we have similar win/lose records...that was it. So I see it like you do, you either win the National title or you don’t. But I’ll admit, making it to a New Years bowl does look a lot better then not.

It's basically been all down hill since they put :01 back on the clock vs Texas in 2009,

Well that was only a brief blip in the long years of Fail that we've endured, so the "down hill" part happened long before then.

If you remember correctly, I made this same type of post a month or two ago but I was comparing us to the other struggling Blue Bloods. Record wise we are right there with the other guys (Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas And USC). But a few people in here thought a few of these teams sneaking into a decent bowl game once ever 3-5 years and then doing nothin else the rest of the time, was apparently doing something. And I wasn’t arguing that, I was making the point we have similar win/lose records...that was it. So I see it like you do, you either win the National title or you don’t. But I’ll admit, making it to a New Years bowl does look a lot better then not.
The only way to get a true judge of the overall health of a program is to take a total time span 5, 10, 15, 20, 50, 100 years ect.. and figure W-L and winning %. Not only total wins and loss but W-L losses vs top 25, top 10 and top 5 teams. Could also probably use if a team finishes the year ranked or not and where they were ranked.
Yes a team can have a good year and make a NY6 bowl but suck 50-75% of the other years. Just because a team make a NY6 bowl or has a higher ranking here and there doesn't speak for the overall health of a program or is superiority over another. It just mean they had a good year.
For example lets say over a 20 year period Team A make it to 3 NY6 bowl games and won 1 conf championship. Yet there overall record in that time is .500 with 7 or 8 losing season. and has an overall losing record vs top 25 team.
Now team B has no NY6 bowl and no conf championship yet has 1 or 2 losing season. A winning record vs top 25 team and a .750 win%. In my opinion team B doesn't look as fancy on the surface, but digging deeper Team B would have the better program. I would much rather have team B and be a consistently good team.

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletred
We have not had this caliber of a head coach since TO. The media sees it the other coaches also see it.

Solich -bad recruiter and not a good football mind, decent coach and superb as an assistant but not a top flight head coach

BC - good recruiter but simply not a head coach before or after

Pelini - he did some good things with the defense for a few years but does not have the temperament to be a HC at a major program.

Riley -was ok with OSU expectations but never better than s .500 coach

No one wanted these guys as a HC when they were fired or hired for that matter, on the other hand frost could go anywhere

I have lived all over the Midwest, but for the last 5 years I have lived in Nebraska. If a team isn't in the top 5 or 10 and in the hunt for a NC, most people don't pay attention to other teams that closely. Especially the national media. Think of the teams you hear about regularly the last few years. Clemson and Alabama by far the most, then maybe teams like Ohio St, Oklahoma, Georgia, ND, Michigan Outside of those few the rest of college football gets mentioned here and there. So to say that Nebraska hasn't been important enough to be discussed out side of Nebraska, while true, it can be said for 95% of all programs outside of their state.
I think you just conceded that we are irrelevant except to Nebraska fans. So what was the outrage in your original post all about?

Of course we are relevant in Nebraska and would be if we finish 0-12. Unless following Bubba Starling with the Omaha Royals attracts one’s interest, there really isn’t any other big time pro or college team to care much about in the state of Nebraska even when they have back to back 4-8 records. (OK, there is Creighton, for those few who are deluded enough to think they are important.)

I think you just conceded that we are irrelevant except to Nebraska fans. So what was the outrage in your original post all about?

Of course we are relevant in Nebraska and would be if we finish 0-12. Unless following Bubba Starling with the Omaha Royals attracts one’s interest, there really isn’t any other big time pro or college team to care much about in the state of Nebraska even when they have back to back 4-8 records. (OK, there is Creighton, for those few who are deluded enough to think they are important.)
Nebraska is always relevant for true cfb fans and media. Heck the first game last year that was cancelled was televised nationally. Keep in mind this was a mid major playing a 4-8 team with a new coach.

Of course the teams in playoffs regularly are pushed first,its a business. Trust me though if we break out this season the media will be all over it

We have not had this caliber of a head coach since TO. The media sees it the other coaches also see it.

Solich -bad recruiter and not a good football mind, decent coach and superb as an assistant but not a top flight head coach

BC - good recruiter but simply not a head coach before or after

Pelini - he did some good things with the defense for a few years but does not have the temperament to be a HC at a major program.

Riley -was ok with OSU expectations but never better than s .500 coach

No one wanted these guys as a HC when they were fired or hired for that matter, on the other hand frost could go anywhere

Not totally True!

I think despite what most Nebraska feel the national media really does what Nebraska to be relevant. In years past where they would get things some what rolling ESPN would jump on the wagon, but Nebraska would have a really bad loss that would shake their confidence in them.

Funny thing is this year to me it seems the national media is giving Nebraska a little more credit than the local hacks. Fact is they are coming off 2 4-8 seasons in a row and had an eleven game losing streak in there. It is coming, but may be one or two more seasons away.

Nothing of the sort. It depends on how one views relevant. If relevant is consistently being a top 5 or 10 team in the hunt for a title. Yes Nebraska hasn't been relevant the last 20 years. Then 95% of the team haven't been relevant either. My view is of the broad picture and the success of the program. Over the last 20 years we are still a top 25 team in w-l and w%. Out of 130 D1 teams I would say that is relevant. We still only have 4 losing season, not many can say that. That is relevant. When you go to any part of the country and mention Nebraska every college football fan will at the very least know about our history and success. Not many schools can say the same thing, that is relevant. We are still able to pull in top 25 classes, that makes us relevant. Even after this crappy stretch, we are still viewed as a Blue blood in college football by most if not all experts. Only 7 other schools can also claim that. That still makes us relevant.

Last edited:
Reactions: GILL T
Nebraska is always relevant for true cfb fans and media. Heck the first game last year that was cancelled was televised nationally. Keep in mind this was a mid major playing a 4-8 team with a new coach.

Of course the teams in playoffs regularly are pushed first,its a business. Trust me though if we break out this season the media will be all over it
Exactly

Scott Frost was relevant and that is why the game against Akron was going to be in National TV. It was the storyline not the relevancy of Nebraska football.

If we have a “break out” season? What is a break out season 9 wins? 10? With that many wins, you are pushing for a top 10 finish, and with that comes relevancy.

Last edited:
Scott Frost was relevant and that is why the game against Akron was going to be in National TV. It was the storyline not the relevancy of Nebraska football.

If we have a “break our” season? What is a break out season 9 wins? 10? With that many wins, you are pushing for a top 10 finish, and with that comes relevancy.

Sorry to reply to my own post but I didn’t want to edit

CFB wants Nebraska to be good. It makes college football better. Just like USC and Texas being good makes CFB better. That doesn’t mean that USC is currently relevant in the scope of CFB.

We can’t confuse the two things. Currently relevant is different than when a team is good, it is better for college football.

If we have a “break our” season? What is a break out season 9 wins? 10? With that many wins, you are pushing for a top 10 finish, and with that comes relevancy.
I do not think they televised UCF's first game after going winless before Frost - so yes Frost is relevant but so is Nebraska

I do not think they televised UCF's first game after going winless before Frost - so yes Frost is relevant but so is Nebraska

Uhm Frost coming home to Nebraska after going 13-0 at UCF was the storyline and why the game was on the national broadcast. If Nebraska hired no name coach from Kentucky, that game isn’t on national tv. It’s an 11:00 am game on FS1 at best.

It was storyline not Nebraska

Reactions: Crazyhole
This kinda fits here. Having a debate on twitter with Michigan fans. They claim they are the more relevant program since 2000. I am claiming we have been in a similar boat. When looking at W-L, win %, 10 win season, losing season, We look very similar. Plus factor in since 2000 they have average 18 spots better in recruiting rankings than us.
Outside of their Conf championship (shared in 04 and outright in 03) they haven't done much. Now I will admit since Harbaugh has been coach they have been a better program. Still haven't accomplished much and he is 1-7 vs top 10 teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWIowahawks
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT