ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska has played Ohio State 7 times this past decade. Iowa has played them twice.

Just for the record, I went back to 2011 and looked at every Big Ten West season, removed wins and losses vs the East and not one time would it have changed who played in the Big Ten Title game.

So while it might could make a difference if everything lines up perfectly, it has yet to take place. Even this year, the only way it would change is if Nebraska or Wisconsin win out and Iowa only loses to whichever one of those 2 teams wins out.

Reactions: BigAssTurkeyLeg
I'm with older97. Too much whining on this board overall and particularly in this thread. "Why can't we play Ohio State less?" sounds a lot like "Let's get out of the Oklahoma game." It is a soft, pathetic look that should be nowhere near a proud team and fan base.
except Ohio State isn't a rival of ours.

and no, the argument would be closer to "since we have to play Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas State each year, Missouri shouldn't get to dodge them and beat up on Kansas and Baylor"

• Haha
Reactions: artguy68
Is it fair that we're in the easy West division while other teams are in the east trying to compete with Ohio St just to get to the CCG? This excuse making is pathetic.

Right. I bet that shit doesn’t fly in the flag football league.

you are debating a point that nobody is trying to make.

of course all conference games should count. the point is that one team shouldn't get to dodge the conference Goliath every year if other teams are made to play them 80% of the time.

2d9485be2bcb3b68f33ecbe3885f24f42f3ffaea3bc05a2925572dafa66f7f79_1.jpg
Posters like you are so funny. You think you are making a point, but you are just proving mine.

First of all to address your first comment, yes it was brought up. People in this thread were discussing only counting division games to crown a division champ.

Your second point is addressed in my second post that you quoted here with your silly GIF about not reading it. Tennessee and Auburn play the current day Goliaths in the SEC 100% of the time and the 5 other teams in the opposite division avoid them 90% of the time. Same with LSU and Florida. Hell you could make a point that Alabama gets off easy because they will never have to play Georgia or Florida in the same regular season.

Posters like you are so funny. You think you are making a point, but you are just proving mine.

First of all to address your first comment, yes it was brought up. People in this thread were discussing only counting division games to crown a division champ.

Your second point is addressed in my second post that you quoted here with your silly GIF about not reading it. Tennessee and Auburn play the current day Goliaths in the SEC 100% of the time and the 5 other teams in the opposite division avoid them 90% of the time. Same with LSU and Florida. Hell you could make a point that Alabama gets off easy because they will never have to play Georgia or Florida in the same regular season.
You are arguing with someone who doesn't exist.

Alabama and Georgia are in different divisions, you mental midget.

nobody is avoiding them on a near yearly basis.

except Ohio State isn't a rival of ours.

and no, the argument would be closer to "since we have to play Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas State each year, Missouri shouldn't get to dodge them and beat up on Kansas and Baylor"
When Nebraska joined the league they had no rival. The make up of the league put any potential rival, Iowa/ Minnesota in the same division.

The big 12 argument is stupid because there were no protected cross divisional games. The Big 10 made the decision, when they went to East vs West, to match up who they thought were their top 6 draws, in protected cross divisional games, to increase the number of potential national broadcast type games.

Penn St - Iowa
Wisconsin - Michigan
Ohio St - Nebraska
Michigan St - Northwestern
Indiana-Purdue
Maryland-Minnesota
Rutgers-Illinois

Reactions: artguy68
You are arguing with someone who doesn't exist.

Alabama and Georgia are in different divisions, you mental midget.

nobody is avoiding them on a near yearly basis.
Then your point has even less validity. That is like saying no one avoids Wisconsin or Ohio St.
The entire topic is about playing cross divisional opponents.

for the 4th, maybe 5th best team in the conference to get to prosper like this just seems really odd. Imagine an SEC team that dodged Alabama and Georgia most years getting to poke their chest out about being the best team in the conference.
So this is a completely invalid point. Because no SEC team could dodge both Alabama and Georgia, every single SEC team would have to play one or the other.

Then your point has even less validity. That is like saying no one avoids Wisconsin or Ohio St.
The entire topic is about playing cross divisional opponents.
that would require being dumb enough as to think Wisconsin is on the same level as Alabama or Georgia. wasn't gonna project that on you, but be my guest.

also, do you mind containing your frantic ranting to a single post? you're starting to do that crazy ex-gf thing

So this is a completely invalid point. Because no SEC team could dodge both Alabama and Georgia, every single SEC team would have to play one or the other.
Because no SEC team could dodge both Alabama and Georgia, every single SEC team would have to play one or the other.

no SEC team could dodge both Alabama and Georgia

you're so close to understanding the point, I think you accidentally did.

that would require being dumb enough as to think Wisconsin is on the same level as Alabama or Georgia. wasn't gonna project that on you, but be my guest.

also, do you mind containing your frantic ranting to a single post? you're starting to do that crazy ex-gf thing
Dude, you're coming in here in 10 days and talking like you know it all?

Why don't you chill just a bit, please.

Dude, you're coming in here in 10 days and talking like you know it all?

Why don't you chill just a bit, please.
yeah I do know quite a bit.

didn't know you took the board politics so seriously that there was a time-based hierarchy on opinions.

yeah I do know quite a bit.

didn't know you took the board politics so seriously that there was a time-based hierarchy on opinions.
Board politics don't mean much to me, but how about you show a little respect?
Let's see some credentials if you know quite a bit. We have a few dudes on here that know a little bit about the game of football.

Reactions: scarletred
Board politics don't mean much to me, but how about you show a little respect?
Let's see some credentials if you know quite a bit. We have a few dudes on here that know a little bit about the game of football.
apologies for being abrasive.

I'm not sure what you mean by credentials. I did play with Philip Dillard and was apart of an immensely successful football program in High School.

I don't think you need to be a current coach to form an opinion on observable facts. I'm not arguing X's and O's, I'm arguing circumstance.

and yeah, the whole "just shut up and win" mentality like we've had any semblance of a winning program the past 2 decades is just so unproductive. aren't we all here to whine and moan anyway?

apologies for being abrasive.

I'm not sure what you mean by credentials. I did play with Philip Dillard and was apart of an immensely successful football program in High School.

I don't think you need to be a current coach to form an opinion on observable facts. I'm not arguing X's and O's, I'm arguing circumstance.

and yeah, the whole "just shut up and win" mentality like we've had any semblance of a winning program the past 2 decades is just so unproductive. aren't we all here to whine and moan anyway?
Thank you glacier.

By credentials, I mean why would you feel you can waltz in here in 10 days and begin to act like a knowitall?

It's fine to have your opinions on observable facts. I just told you my opinion on an observable fact a while ago.

I'm glad you're not arguing X's and O's cause that would put you in the second tier among some in this group.

This is a site for opinions, everyone has an opinion. If you're going to demean members, and call them mental midgets and the like, you are not going to be very popular in this room.

As far as the whole "shut up and win" mentality, that has zero to do with what I have mentioned to you thus far.

It did not appear you came here to whine and moan, you came to argue and belittle people, and TRY to convince people how smart you are. I hope you at least try to show some restraint.

Please understand, it's not my role to lecture you, but we have this little thing called "Ignore" and you might find some of us won't put up with your crap.

Have a good one.

Reactions: scarletred
This is true. Which sort of conflicts with the “B1G officials are out to get Nebraska” narrative. The B1G needs Nebraska to be good in football. If anything, you would think the officials would be making calls in favor of Nebraska, to make sure they win.

No, not if it's a 3-3 going nowhere NU squad vs an undefeated or one loss big boy team like tosu or Mich..
The refs will certainly want to protect the u defeated team or the one loss team.

Now if it's anundefeated NU team and a 3-3 Mich team. NU may Get some calls.

Unfortunately NU has been The 3-3 team mkat of the time vs the udefeated teams so they get the calls..

It did not appear you came here to whine and moan, you came to argue and belittle people, and TRY to convince people how smart you are. I hope you at least try to show some restraint.
the whole premise of this thread was to whine and moan about Iowa continually getting a cupcake schedule. I'm under no delusions that Nebraska is in a state where they can run the table against 5 top 10 teams. and don't mistake that as me saying you're making that argument, I'm just telling you where my vitriol comes from when met with the "shut up and win" attitude.

perhaps I'm in the minority, but the notion of getting shelled by Ohio State in 8 of our 10 years in the conference is never appealing. sure, its fun to pound our chests and say "BUT WE'RE NEBRASKA AND WE WANT TO BEAT THE BEST" but even dogs learn to stop doing things that continually get them hurt.

Maybe it feels good for some of y'all to know that regardless of our W-L record, we still had to play some of the best teams. You know what would feel even better? Being ranked #2 in the country because the only ranked team you played lost their QB in the first half.

Reactions: RedMyMind
it matters when of our 4 losses, 3 of those teams would probably blow Iowa out of the water.

this isn't asking for Nebraska to have an easier schedule as much as it is lamenting that Iowa shouldn't get to run through the Big 10's JV squad every year.

wtf are you talking about? don't project your own stupid argument onto other people, nobody said that.

and yes, whenever an NFL team is undefeated against only bad teams, it is immediately pointed out. case in point, Denver Broncos.

jfc, no they wouldn‘t. Not a single one of them would blow Iowa out of the water.

jfc, no they wouldn‘t. Not a single one of them would blow Iowa out of the water.
Michigan and Michigan St would win by 2 TD's each.

Oklahoma probably hangs 50 on Iowa today. Mind you we're comparing the best Big12 team to the 4th or 5th best B1G team so it wouldn't really be fair.

Whether it's an easy or hard schedule, the problem is the scheduling in general. It's the worst scheduling I've seen in any conference. For the ten years Nebraska has been in this conference we have barely played some teams.

Thank you glacier.

By credentials, I mean why would you feel you can waltz in here in 10 days and begin to act like a knowitall?

It's fine to have your opinions on observable facts. I just told you my opinion on an observable fact a while ago.

I'm glad you're not arguing X's and O's cause that would put you in the second tier among some in this group.

This is a site for opinions, everyone has an opinion. If you're going to demean members, and call them mental midgets and the like, you are not going to be very popular in this room.

As far as the whole "shut up and win" mentality, that has zero to do with what I have mentioned to you thus far.

Iave this little thing called "Ignore" and you might find some of us won't put up with your crap.

Have a good one.
I've in general thought glacier's posts have been intelligent and well thought out versus some of the "long standing posters". We should not get so argumentative when a "new" poster shows up with differing views.....well as long as they aren't an Iowegian.

I've in general thought glacier's posts have been intelligent and well thought out versus some of the "long standing posters". We should not get so argumentative when a "new" poster shows up with differing views.....well as long as they aren't an Iowegian.
You just agree with it, that doesn’t necessarily make them intelligent or well thought out.

I didn’t respond to this thread until @RedMyMind posted about only counting division games when determining division champ, he and I were discussing the merits of that theory when @glaciersx decided to tell me that no one is arguing that point when clearly we were. The problem was HE wasn’t discussing it, well until he was. But as is common in these threads, they change direction or have side conversations. So from my view, he just wanted this thread to stay on his track. Too effing bad. Perhaps he should have went after @RedMyMind for bringing up the whole division games thing.

The premise of only counting division games is stupid. Any argument that uses that point in a discussion is invalid. Every schedule is unequal and unbalanced.

The fact is that Nebraska is only complaining about this because we drew Ohio St instead of Penn St or Michigan in the protected crossover. It is just sour grapes because we haven’t lived up to our end by remaining competitive within the division, conference and on the national scale.
I‘m not one that is complaining about not counting cross division games.

The fact is Nebraska and Wisconsin play Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St and Ioway plays Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana in 2024 that is a unfair scheduling to win the division..

You won’t hear any complaining from Ioway and why would you like you said if Nebraska played Rutgers for 10 straight years you wouldn’t be hearing anything from us but it isn’t the case with just one game but 3 games within the division..

Nebraska/Michigan
Wisconsin/ Ohio St
Ioway/ Rutgers🙄

Starting next season new cross division rival games..

Reactions: RedMyMind
where would iowa, the ‘#2 team in the country’, finish ranked in the SEC?

would they crack the top 5?

I have no clue. Heck, I’m not sure where they will finish in the B1G this year. Still lots of football to be played. But to say Iowa would lose by 2 td”s to msu and um and Oklahoma would hang 50 on them is wishful thinking.

I‘m not one that is complaining about not counting cross division games.

The fact is Nebraska and Wisconsin play Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St and Ioway plays Rutgers, Maryland and Indiana in 2024 that is a unfair scheduling to win the division..

You won’t hear any complaining from Ioway and why would you like you said if Nebraska played Rutgers for 10 straight years you wouldn’t be hearing anything from us but it isn’t the case with just one game but 3 games within the division..

Nebraska/Michigan
Wisconsin/ Ohio St
Ioway/ Rutgers🙄

Starting next season new cross division rival games..
But for as long as Nebraska has played Ohio St, Iowa has played Penn St and Wisconsin played Michigan.

going forward is a different conversation than looking back. Most of the people are complaining about having to play Ohio St every year. Well now we don’t and yet there are still people whining. Now it is about Iowa and who they don’t have to play.

It is just in the nature of Nebraska fan to complain about something being unfair and some sort of conspiracy to keep the team down.

Since Rutgers and Maryland joined the Big 10 from the time Nebraska joined in 2011

Nebraska has played Rutgers 4 times, Maryland twice , Indiana (original member) twice.

Ioway has played Rutgers twice, Maryland 4 times and Indiana 6 times..

Nebraska and Ioway both have played Michigan a total of 5 times..

Nebraska has played Michigan St 7 times compared to Ioway 6 times..

Seems to me if they wanted to even out cross division rivals and Ioway has only played Rutgers twice they should have given Indiana to Nebraska since Nebraska only played Indiana twice instead of giving Nebraska Michigan who they have played as many times as Ioway has..

And the Fact Ioway has only played Ohio St twice and the Big 10 even changed the schedule when the original schedule had Ioway playing Ohio St…

When will Big Ten go back to 8 game schedule, with alliance games being proposed soon?

Last year, Iowa's 9th game was a road trip to Ohio State, but the Big Ten dropped off the 2nd road game for each West program, due to the eight only B1G schedule.

Iowa has played more against Maryland and Rutgers then Ohio State under new schedules, since 2014.

Will divisions be eliminated soon?

Iowa plays Rutgers, Wisconsin will play Ohio State and Nebraska moves on to Michigan, but those annual series may be cut short, if Big Ten moves down to eight game schedule for the alliance.

🤔

When will Big Ten go back to 8 game schedule, with alliance games being proposed soon?

Last year, Iowa's 9th game was a road trip to Ohio State, but the Big Ten dropped off the 2nd road game for each West program, due to the eight only B1G schedule.

Iowa has played more against Maryland and Rutgers then Ohio State under new schedules, since 2014.

Will divisions be eliminated soon?

Iowa plays Rutgers, Wisconsin will play Ohio State and Nebraska moves on to Michigan, but those annual series may be cut short, if Big Ten moves down to eight game schedule for the alliance.

🤔
Now when they go to this new alliance it will go back to 8 games but the bigger question when will that happen?
2025 after Nebraska and Wisconsin both play Michigan, Ohio St and Penn St while Ioway plays neither one in 2024?

Then you and I can respectively disagree.
Exactly what was argumentative about what I replied to him?
Frankly, I don't care if someone is from Iowa, or Oklahoma or anywhere.

That is a crazy stat. With Ohio State's domination, that is pretty much a guaranteed L on our schedule each year and it does seem we are constantly playing them despite being in the opposite division.

With that said it isn't like they are the only team that stands in our way. We have lost back to back years to awful Illinois teams. Ohio State is the least of our worries right now. I'd love to get to being a consistent 10 or 11 win team where we just got to get over the Buckeye hump similar to what Oklahoma was back in the day.
While true that Nebraska has played OSU more than Iowa in the last 10 years (5 vs 2), I believe there was an underlying optimism within the B1G hierarchy that Nebraska would be playing at a higher level and establish a true rivalry that would be good for the league overall. In short, the league wanted the crossovers to be competitive and attractive nationally within reason. Unfortunately that hasn't played out for reasons everyone is already familiar with. Wisconsin has played OSU 4 times in the last decade in the regular season and 3 times in the BCG. Iowa has played Michigan the same number of times as Nebraska in the last decade and has played Penn State 7 times vs 4 for Nebraska. Those 3 teams have been considered the top 3 programs out of the East and the total number of games played between Nebraska and Iowa and the 3 top programs in the East over the last 10 years is 13 a piece. In short, although Nebraska has certainly played the tougher crossover in OSU more times than Iowa or Wisconsin, no one is getting a free ride here.

Further from that, when Nebraska plays Ohio State this year, they will have played them as many times in the past decade as Iowa has in the past 20 years.

Nebraska has played Michigan State 7 times the past decade with a record of 4-3 against the Spartans, whereas Iowa has played them 6 times with a record of 2-4. one of those was the CCG, which makes it 5 times and 2-3.

Nebraska also has a winning record against Penn State since joining the B1G at 4-1, whereas Iowa is 2-6 against them in that same time.

why do we get so fukced on having to run the table of the big dogs when Iowa gets thrown these cupcake schedules that allows them to coast into Black Friday unscathed with all the momentum?

for the 4th, maybe 5th best team in the conference to get to prosper like this just seems really odd. Imagine an SEC team that dodged Alabama and Georgia most years getting to poke their chest out about being the best team in the conference.
As crazy of a state as this is, I don’t like this mentality of “why do we have to play the big dogs” we used to be the big dogs, and we don’t get back unless we play them, granted the confrence schedule should be more balanced but we only “play the big dogs” because we have fallen so far, if we can finally get back to where we want to be then we won’t be saying we only play the big dogs, we need to not be afraid of facing the big boys, and we need to become the big boy again

Further from that, when Nebraska plays Ohio State this year, they will have played them as many times in the past decade as Iowa has in the past 20 years.

Nebraska has played Michigan State 7 times the past decade with a record of 4-3 against the Spartans, whereas Iowa has played them 6 times with a record of 2-4. one of those was the CCG, which makes it 5 times and 2-3.

Nebraska also has a winning record against Penn State since joining the B1G at 4-1, whereas Iowa is 2-6 against them in that same time.

why do we get so fukced on having to run the table of the big dogs when Iowa gets thrown these cupcake schedules that allows them to coast into Black Friday unscathed with all the momentum?

I BELIEVE GOT THEIR CHOICE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT