ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska has lost talent . . .

Could be true. The early Pelini teams, especially, had a lot of talent. That staff just didn’t have great schemes and the team was mentally unstable (like their head coach). There was a ton of roster turnover with the coaching changes and a pretty sever lack of player development under Riley. We have some young talent, but it could be true that, overall, the roster isn’t that talented yet. I would have to compare roster to roster to know for sure, but on the surface it doesn’t seem that crazy.

you mean the me-first clowns who can't even beat out their new small school competition?

if that's talent, would love to hear what he calls the guys we've brought in the last couple years.

Reactions: Sous Chef
since Bo Pelini left town. - Adam Rittenberg.

Discuss

Who can produce the recruiting rankings between Bobo and Smiling Mike?
Then account for attrition and productivity from those that stayed?

Adam’s probably not lying...
But, the talent has increased with Scott Frost. So if he’s saying prior to Scott then he’s probably correct. But, if he’s saying up to now, he’s on crack!

Oh, I just want to leave this right here...

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu0mjvlzme3ztc0ndyzodi2y2u2nju4ytbjywu3zmjm-e1447605537109.jpeg

Wait are people seriously trying to say this isn't true?

Other than QB, how many positions right now has a definitively better starter than even Pelini's last team in 2014?

RB - there is potential here in 2019 but better than Ameer? Not likely. Better than Newby, Cross and Janovich? We'll see.

TE - Cethan Carter is a better athlete than any TE on our roster. God he needed a good coach.

WR - Again potential is here but Spielman is our top WR Warner is #2 and the rest is unproven. 2014 has Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp and Jamal Turner.

OL - Brendan Jaimes vs Alex Lewis is an interesting one but while there is potential in Farinok, Jurgens and Benhart there was a ton of potential in Jerald Foster, Tanner Farmer and Nick Gates too. Push.. maybe?

DL - This may be the best position group we have in 2019... and yet 2014 destoys it. Randy Gregory Malik Collins Vincent Valentine Mick Stoltenberg Peyton Newell etc. Take away injuries and the awfulness that was Hank Hughes coaching that plagued those that stayed, 2014 we had almost a complete NFL quality 2 deep.

LB - this is tougher because Michael Rose-Ivey only played 6 games in 2014 and they had some depth with Bando, Roach Gifford Santos and Anderson..but Mo Barry is a dude and Honas, Heinrich, Domann, Miller, Ferguson and Davis are likely better. 2019 wins a 2nd position group!

DB - Bo's worst secondary... still had Nate Gerry, Chris Jones Josh Kalu and Corey Cooper. 2019's secondary needs to prove it.

K - Drew Brown and Sam Foltz. Nuff said.

Frost is building the roster back up but if you think we have a better overall roster now than we had before Mike Riley you are seriously fooling yourself. And this was just Pelini's last and likely least talented team.

Other than QB, how many positions right now has a definitively better starter than even Pelini's last team in 2014?

RB - there is potential here in 2019 but better than Ameer? Not likely. Better than Newby, Cross and Janovich? We'll see.

TE - Cethan Carter is a better athlete than any TE on our roster. God he needed a good coach.

WR - Again potential is here but Spielman is our top WR Warner is #2 and the rest is unproven. 2014 has Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp and Jamal Turner.

OL - Brendan Jaimes vs Alex Lewis is an interesting one but while there is potential in Farinok, Jurgens and Benhart there was a ton of potential in Jerald Foster, Tanner Farmer and Nick Gates too. Push.. maybe?

DL - This may be the best position group we have in 2019... and yet 2014 destoys it. Randy Gregory Malik Collins Vincent Valentine Mick Stoltenberg Peyton Newell etc. Take away injuries and the awfulness that was Hank Hughes coaching that plagued those that stayed, 2014 we had almost a complete NFL quality 2 deep.

LB - this is tougher because Michael Rose-Ivey only played 6 games in 2014 and they had some depth with Bando, Roach Gifford Santos and Anderson..but Mo Barry is a dude and Honas, Heinrich, Domann, Miller, Ferguson and Davis are likely better. 2019 wins a 2nd position group!

DB - Bo's worst secondary... still had Nate Gerry, Chris Jones Josh Kalu and Corey Cooper. 2019's secondary needs to prove it.

Frost is building the roster back up but if you think we have a better overall roster now than we had before Mike Riley you are seriously fooling yourself. And this was just Pelini's last and likely least talented team.

I can see where you’re going with this. And you may end up being correct. But… You are comparing an already known fact in the past to what you think is going to happen in the future. It’s just not an apples to apples comparison. If you want to say the 2018 defense did not match up or compare to the 2014, I would agree. But until you see what these players can do this year, especially at running back and wide receiver, you are just guessing

It is like saying your investments made you $1000 from Jan to Dec in 2014 and then in June of 2019, when you’ve only earned $600, saying in 2014 you had better investments.

Last edited:
Other than having four qbs, the most important position.
We haven't seen Green or Darrion play yet.
Our D backfield is very good.
Our depth on the D line blows away that line.
Our depth at wide out isn't comparable. Todays much better.
RB, who's to say, too young, and we havnt seen Mills play.
Wheres the equivalent of Wandale?

I cant give Bo one prop here, not one.
We had to start a true frosh lb, because there weren't any, for two years, we had walkons at D end, after Ameer,we had Jano, who Bo used in 4 plays?
Enough paint has already come off, I'll stop here.

The problem with comments like this is there is a delay of a couple of years before a coach's recruiting really shows up and down the roster. If he's comparing Pelini and Riley's talent, that's probably correct. But if he's suggesting that Pelini was a better recruiter than Frost, that is just downright stupid. Ask that question again in a couple of years and I seriously doubt anybody would try to argue that we had more talent when Pelini was coaching.

I can see where you’re going with this. And you may end up being correct. But… You are comparing an already known fact in the past to what you think is going to happen in the future. It’s just not an apples to apples comparison. If you want to say the 2018 defense did not match up or compare to the 2014, I would agree. But until you see what these players can do this year, especially at running back and wide receiver, you are just guessing

I knew it wasn't apples to apples going in.. I started with doing 2018 and then did it this way because I was actually hoping it would make it closer. Without Daniels, Green, Noa, Jurgens, Honas and a top 15 class with that comes with using 2019 it was looking like a joke.

Last edited:

newby cross and janovich?? get this take and throw it out with the trash

carter just looked good in his uniform, didn't perform at all

bell, westerkamp were good players. JD is absolutely on their level today.

'nuff said' with kickers?? lol

2019 team would be favored in a game against any of bo's teams save maybe '09. maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthwoodHusker

2019 team would be favored in a game against any of bo's teams save maybe '99. maybe.
I think you mean 2009. But yeah, if Bo would have had an offense with a pulse that year, we would have been national title contenders.

2019 team would be favored in a game against any of bo's teams save maybe suh's last team. maybe.
You think Pelini was here in 99?

Reactions: scarletred
I knew it wasn't apples to apples going in.. I started with doing 2018 and then did it this way because I was actually hoping it would make it closer. Without Daniels, Green, Noa, Jurgens, Honas and a top 15 class with that comes with using 2019 it was looking like a joke.

I guess what I am saying is that people will automatically look at the entire career of a player that is already gone. I know you wrote they Rose-Ivy only played in 6 games, but without looking at stats of every player on the team, people are going to base their opinion on all 4 years. Comparing Amber to Washington for example is going to automatically favor Ameer because we have 4 years of Ameer and 1 of Washington.

If Washington or Wan’Dale have insane careers at Nebraska and someone in 2024 writes a post that says that 2021 team was way better than the 2024 team, no one is going to remember what the players did in 2021, they will remember all 4 years.

That is why it is always hard to compare in generalities. You are comparing what your perception of that something was to what you think something else is and is going to be.

Like I said you may end up being correct. I just don’t know enough of what some of the current players are going to end up doing to compare it to what others actually accomplished.

You think Pelini was here in 99?
Pelini has always been at Nebraska, he was manifested by our collective pain and frustration with small men from California and those who wear grey suits. We ferociously created a monster, a man who demands and inspires wall crashing, a man who readeth not, a man who speaketh his truth, a man whom our wives did not desire, a man who could sweat urine, chew through a dead horse, and man who could slap us and Texas even in defeat, he was before us, with us, and will be here long after us. He is a Bo Pelini.

Discuss
Rittenberg is not a knowledgeable writer/commentator. Just because he watches college football, doesn't mean he knows jack squat. Pelini inherited tremendous talent from Callahan and he did land some very talented defenders (espeically jucos). The problem is that he didn't recruit remotely ENOUGH talent at all positions to hang with the likes of Wisconsin. I'm not buying that we don't have better talent in this second year of Frost than we had during Bo's last season. Look at the lack of draft picks from Bo's last couple of classes. There's yer sign.

Didn't Callahan recruit his best players? Yep
For the most part. Pelini did bring I think LaVonte and a few other talented defensive guys but we lacked tremendously in quality depth across the board. Right now YSU is whipping Samford....and the talking heads are losing their minds about his talent pool. Wait until he plays NDSU, SDSU and USD.

Are the talking heads not happy with Frost as our coach? Thought ALL fans would be fine with him. Not understanding rehashing the bastard who bashed Husker fans.
There's just a couple of low level commentators doing the YSU vs Samford game who are losing their minds over Pelini. They went on to talk about what a great addition Carl Pelini was to Bo's staff. Talked about what a steadying influence he was to Bo.

Discuss

To an extent this quote isn’t that crazy.
As of right now, we don’t have any Suhs, Davids, Abdullahs, Gregory’s that are surefire NFL guys. But overall, his quote is stupid.

It is like saying your investments made you $1000 from Jan to Dec in 2014 and then in June of 2019, when you’ve only earned $600, saying in 2014 you had better investments.
I wasted a bunch of time in a response to the Blackshirt post and then deleted it. Not just apples to apples problems, but the comparing was pretty sloppy. Foster, Farmer, Mick and Newell were not contributors in 2014. Depth charts are available from the 2014 season, so one could do an apples to predicted apples comparison, not just pull names out one's rectum.
The key thing is the initial concession of "other than QB". Lots of respect for TA as a warrior, but there were throws that he simply could not make. AMart matches and probably exceeds TA in athleticism and has had the benefit of an actual QB coach.
In year 7 of Pelini, a supposed guru of the D, and with some great Dline talent and with experienced LBs, there were run plays that opponents used that were like kryptonite to NU's run defense. I never understood that.

I wasted a bunch of time in a response to the Blackshirt post and then deleted it. Not just apples to apples problems, but the comparing was pretty sloppy. Foster, Farmer, Mick and Newell were not contributors in 2014. Depth charts are available from the 2014 season, so one could do an apples to predicted apples comparison, not just pull names out one's rectum.
The key thing is the initial concession of "other than QB". Lots of respect for TA as a warrior, but there were throws that he simply could not make. AMart matches and probably exceeds TA in athleticism and has had the benefit of an actual QB coach.
In year 7 of Pelini, a supposed guru of the D, and with some great Dline talent and with experienced LBs, there were run plays that opponents used that were like kryptonite to NU's run defense. I never understood that.

Yea I tried to touch on some of that in post #22 about how we remember player x was on the team in 2014 but we remember what they accomplished in their career and not specifically that season. Your post details it better than mine.

Let's put this in perspective, this is the same announcer that relayed breaking news during the broadcast:

"Bo Pelini walked into the pregame media round table with a "chip on his shoulder"

No shit shirley !!!

I think people have been saying this for awhile-if Bo Pelini is such a great coach, he would already be at an FBS school now. Yeah, he's a perfect fit coaching in his hometown and all of that even though it's only at the FCS level, but I have a hard time believing he wouldn't take a better job if it came his way. But it hasn't and I don't think it will. That tells you how good he really is.

Of course, we also see the typical two-faced nature of the national media when it comes to Nebraska in this too. For several years, all the media could do was lambast him for his sideline behavior and ask why Nebraska would ever hire a guy like that. Then we fire him, and all the media can do is say "why did Nebraska ever get rid of Bo Pelini?"-as if they totally forgot about what they said about him before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT