ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Fullback Postion: A Lost Art or a Big (10) Opportunity

So Nelson's a defender, huh? No shit. Name your phantom 190/200# fullback trainee? I named a player that actually exists.

Your theory is no more likely than mine.

Why take a 190/200# kid and take 2-3-4 years to beef him up and teach him to be a lead blocker, when the squad has a half dozen guys every year who already have enough size and ability to play that position.

My point was, Nelson already had enough size even as a true freshman to fit "your" requirement, and his contribution on defense wasn't major at that time.

You realize you're trying to win a theoretical argument for a position that doesn't exist in the program?

Nothing in your post tells me filling the squad with a 2-3-4 year "trainee" to become a fullback is likely to happen either.
I thought youd have a reason why nelson. I guess not.

I literally said in my post it aint happening.

however, if we were to run a fullback, my idea of finding someone who actually played back in hs and having him focus on it makes a lot more sense than taking a scholarship defensive end and playing him there just because.

I thought youd have a reason why nelson. I guess not.

I literally said in my post it aint happening.

however, if we were to run a fullback, my idea of finding someone who actually played back in hs and having him focus on it makes a lot more sense than taking a scholarship defensive end and playing him there just because.
husker, the reason I mentioned Nelson simply is because he had the requisite size, level of aggressiveness and wasn't afraid to hit people. As a freshman, he was not in a key position, such as he was last year or this year. I could have said Snodgrass or another person with good size and athleticism.

Nelson "seemed" to arrive in Lincoln with that same attitude as a lot of really good Husker FB's, but I doubt he was any type of ballcarrier in high school. As far as blocking, and not being a primary ballcarrier, he could have fit the bill.

I typically throw out ideas with a basis on why it work. Even with YOUR suggestion, if NU used an existing player of ample size and aggressiveness while the undersized FB was being trained to be a FB and gain size and strength is far better than what we have now, right?

A scholarship player who is not contributing isn't misusing that player, rather it's finding a way for him to contribute until he grows into a position of being a #1 or #2 guy at his recruited position at which time the undersized player grows closer to the size needed to play blocking FB.

Guys like Suh, Refrigerator Perry and many other really large people were a load to stop at the goal line, and its doubtful Suh and those others had any experience as ball carriers in high school. They were able to do that at the same time they were being dominant type defensive people.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Fair enough?

husker, the reason I mentioned Nelson simply is because he had the requisite size, level of aggressiveness and wasn't afraid to hit people. As a freshman, he was not in a key position, such as he was last year or this year. I could have said Snodgrass or another person with good size and athleticism.

Nelson "seemed" to arrive in Lincoln with that same attitude as a lot of really good Husker FB's, but I doubt he was any type of ballcarrier in high school. As far as blocking, and not being a primary ballcarrier, he could have fit the bill.

I typically throw out ideas with a basis on why it work. Even with YOUR suggestion, if NU used an existing player of ample size and aggressiveness while the undersized FB was being trained to be a FB and gain size and strength is far better than what we have now, right?

A scholarship player who is not contributing isn't misusing that player, rather it's finding a way for him to contribute until he grows into a position of being a #1 or #2 guy at his recruited position at which time the undersized player grows closer to the size needed to play blocking FB.

Guys like Suh, Refrigerator Perry and many other really large people were a load to stop at the goal line, and its doubtful Suh and those others had any experience as ball carriers in high school. They were able to do that at the same time they were being dominant type defensive people.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. We'll just have to agree to disagree. Fair enough?
Ok.
Maybe this is why no fullback they fight about it in the coaches room just like we do haha

Can Brewington be used as a fullback when needed?
Frosts offense used TEs in motion to lead block like a fullback at times. Instead of taking on backers and DTs head on they could hit them at an angle. Personally I would love to see us line up with a fullback or 2 TEs more often. Hell line up a guard in the backfield to lead block. I’ve seen NFL teams line up an extra O lineman at TE and fullback on the same play. Ouch.

Reactions: WHCSC
What do stats have to do with it? Hes a defender

Nothing in your post tells me why he would have been a good fullback candidate.
It isn’t all that unusual to see a linebacker line up at fullback. I saw it not too long ago in the NFL. There’s a college team that was doing it regularly in short yardage situations. Fullback is as much a physicality and mentality situation more so than a skill. Been there did that as a high schooler.

Slow game down. 3 yards and a cloud of black turf pellets. 4th & 1 in first quarter down 7-0, Mickey punted. Top Fullback would have been a no-brainer.
If Yant is not a top back, turn him into a blocker, and use him as a decoy on some quick hitters up the gut.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
ADVERTISEMENT