ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska flooding

Yankton SD spent several millions dollars on a flood mitigation project tied to a trail system a decade or so ago.....Well it didn't work for this deal. I've never seen so much water. You could have whitewater rafted in the Dunham parking lot when I drove through there. Water in the mall. Water over highway 81 in town. Water completely filling their high school parking lot. All of the streets flooded around the school. According to the radio they had let school out about 2 hours before the surge hit.

Right. Marne Creek Greenway?

My first concern, of course, is for the people who had to evacuate and for the people who have flooded homes. A second concern is businesses. Valmont's major production facility is close to the Platte between Valley and Fremont. Is that facility closed? I assume it's under water given the location.

My first concern, of course, is for the people who had to evacuate and for the people who have flooded homes. A second concern is businesses. Valmont's major production facility is close to the Platte between Valley and Fremont. Is that facility closed? I assume it's under water given the location.
They were closed on Friday as well as today

Right. Marne Creek Greenway?
Yeah. It looks like from the pics on the Yankton Press and Dakotan website that their trail system is pretty well destroyed. It could be worse. Sounds like there were lots of basement walls that collapsed in Knox county and Niobrara and Verdigree are a mess. It's going to take 100s of millions of dollars and at least a year to recover in Nebraska would be my guess.

Sorry to hear that. I have some family out in the Valley area and one of their basement walls collapsed but other than that not bad. My wifes parents are in Waterloo so they’re not exactly under water but everything around them is.

Terrible deal here all around..

Any word on how Farmer Browns is doing in Waterloo if they had any flooding?

"WEATHER ALERT! – UPDATE TUESDAY MARCH 19
Farmer Browns will be CLOSED Tuesday, March 19, due to almost all roads into Farmer Brown’s being closed due to river flooding.

We're still dry! But the roads are currently impassable."

So happy I did not buy that 1.5 million dollar lake home out at West Shores now...really dodged a bullet.

"WEATHER ALERT! – UPDATE TUESDAY MARCH 19
Farmer Browns will be CLOSED Tuesday, March 19, due to almost all roads into Farmer Brown’s being closed due to river flooding.

We're still dry! But the roads are currently impassable."

At least a little bit of good news coming from the devastating flood in our state..

Thanks for the information.

Nebraska has more miles of river than any other state. Many of the bridges in rural areas are more than 80 years old. With all of this flood damage, I think it is going to mean more people leaving homes and businesses in rural areas, and more roads being closed and abandoned. It's just going to accelerate the urbanization that has been happening for 50 years.

Not to hijack the thread, but this information that Nebraska has the most river miles of any State is flat wrong.

Alaska, Texas, and California many more miles of rivers than Nebraska. That was in a quick search. Probably are ithers as well.

Not to hijack the thread, but this information that Nebraska has the most river miles of any State is flat wrong.

Alaska, Texas, and California many more miles of rivers than Nebraska. That was in a quick search. Probably are ithers as well.
Sorry your information is wrong, Nebraska does have the most miles of streams,creeks and rivers

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
First statement and Baxter are correct. Nebraska does not have the most bodies of water or coverage but Nebraska has more miles of rivers than any other state in the union!

https://www.rivers.gov/alaska.php

Says there Alaska has 365,000 miles of rivers. Nebraska is listed at just under 80,000. A similar google search lists both Texas, and California with significantly more as well.

Just the facts as I read them.

Is the statement "Nebraska has the most miles of rivers" relative to state size? Like the most miles per square mile sort of thing? Alaska, Texas, and California may have more, but maybe not the amount Nebraska has per square mile? Don't know just a thought.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
That is my thought too, but to state categorically Nebraska has more is completely innacurate.

I saw this on facebook yesterday, and my bullshit alarm went off immediately. I live in Alaska, and knew that there was no way there were more than here. This State is so large. So I googled it

No it is true. I heard it several years ago and called BS. Well, I was wrong. Nebraska public television did a series on rivers/waters of Nebraska and said the same thing. IF you can't trust public TV who can you trust?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT