ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska flooding

Prayers to everyone effected. These are the times that keep us on one team and human whether it happens in Nebraska, Iowa, Texas or Florida. Be safe help your neighbors and know allot of people are praying for everyone involved.

According to the Omaha Scanner Twitter feed, the family refused to get on the helicopter. Unbelievable.

They also said a woman on the phone said that no contact was made by a helicopter so I’m a bit lost here. If the people who refused were the ones in need of rescue then they need to take a moment to realize that people are putting their lives at risk to help their asses.

Reactions: Can o' corn
I have a feeling part’s of Nebraska will be under National emergency during the weekend..

Just evacuated my uncle and his family. Buddies at Cedar Creek are getting evacuated. It is crazy out there.

I'm scheduled to fly out of Epley this afternoon after visting my brother in NE Nebraska. Parts of 275, 30, 51, and 77 are closed. We went on the Nebraska Roads website (511), and found a route. We went to Wakefield, and took 35 over to Dakota City; then 75 south through Winnebago, Macy, Decatur, Blair, and Ft Calhoun. No problems on those roads.

Best wishes to all impacted by the flooding. Be safe!

My wife and I had 46" of water in our living room in 1966. I was there (different house) for the '93 flood and it was bad too. But not this bad. The whole state is affected. Prayers.

Reactions: scarletred
Papio NRD posted a picture of the Papio Creek at 84th in Omaha and I couldn't believe how high it was. Good thing they did all the upgrades they have over the last couple decades, the old way it was it would have been way out of its banks.

The family was to be rescued by a boat that capsized on the way there---the boat occupants were saved by the chopper and proceeded on to help the original people, who refused because they could not take their pets. Really dumb.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Papio NRD posted a picture of the Papio Creek at 84th in Omaha and I couldn't believe how high it was. Good thing they did all the upgrades they have over the last couple decades, the old way it was it would have been way out of its banks.
Makes me think of all the idiots in Lincoln that complained about money being spent over the years on the Antelope Valley Project. This included roads and flood control. Not a problem in Lincoln AT ALL.
Whereas Ive been told by some old timers that 27th and Capital Blvd by Sunken gardens now used to flood during bad rains back in the day.

I think they’re talking about flood control within the cities rather than the areas currently
flooding.
Flood control is great until there full of water, then the local streams run full for a week, I will say the do a good job even if there full.

Definitely apocalyptic.... I feel really sorry for Fremont. (an Columbus which I think is about in the same situation as Fremont)..no open roads in or out. I live south of the Platte river off Hwy 77 and am not in the flood zone. However, I will have to go through Ashland to get to work, which will make my trip an hour longer then usual. It will take a long time to recover from this one.

Reactions: blackbones
North Bend has shut down their schools indefinitely....that has to be tricky for high school seniors

Definitely apocalyptic.... I feel really sorry for Fremont. (an Columbus which I think is about in the same situation as Fremont)..no open roads in or out. I live south of the Platte river off Hwy 77 and am not in the flood zone. However, I will have to go through Ashland to get to work, which will make my trip an hour longer then usual. It will take a long time to recover from this one.

Wow. I know people from both.

Is water receding at all or still rising, crazy
Not sure. Went to outlet mall near Gretna today from Lincoln. Hwy 6 still closed, so I-80 a must. And MAN did the Platte look like a monster. Really high and flowing faster than I can ever remember seeing it.

Trust me on this one...there is no constructed project that could have addressed the flooding event that happened this past week. This was just unreal.
Yankton SD spent several millions dollars on a flood mitigation project tied to a trail system a decade or so ago.....Well it didn't work for this deal. I've never seen so much water. You could have whitewater rafted in the Dunham parking lot when I drove through there. Water in the mall. Water over highway 81 in town. Water completely filling their high school parking lot. All of the streets flooded around the school. According to the radio they had let school out about 2 hours before the surge hit.

The Platte near Louisville is down 2’ and dropping. Hopefully it continues to drop. We had 4 sump pumps going at my uncles place in Villa Springs and it still didn’t keep up in his basement. The water just kept rising.

Also, ripping out wet carpet is terrible.

Everything on the river is pretty well destroyed. Lots of homes gone. Terribly sad.

We have a family in our church that lost their house and almost everything they had a couple years ago when the tornado hit Springfield. And now they lost their house and everything they had to the flood. Really horrible situation.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
North Bend has shut down their schools indefinitely....that has to be tricky for high school seniors
I tried searching for this (have family in the area) but couldn't find anything. Do you have a link you can share?

Sad how much worse this one is than the flood of 2011. Levee's breaking everywhere near small towns. Thoughts going out to all states being affected by this crap. I drive through many of these small towns in Nebraska and Iowa for my work. I don't know how so many people will rebuild. Never seen it where people have to be flown in by helicopter or airplane just to get home. A friend was in Arlington helping some people out and when they went to go back home to Fremont, they had no access. Someone took them by plane to the Fremont airport. Crazy shit.

"The little red x is Arlington, NE proper. The big x is Fremont. Red line is the highway, green is where the river is supposed to be"

54458030_817957915359_4521149349073256448_n.jpg

Reactions: mmunso7
This is going to take you some time to recover from. I was driving around south Texas that was just hit three months earlier by Hurricane Harvey and it was still recovering.

Also, something similar in Del Rio. Harvey had hit just the week before and I wasn't sure if I was going to be get gas and get out of Del Rio.

Been out of the country. Has there been a federal disaster declaration?

I live in Houston and there are still miles and miles and miles of unoccupied houses from Harvey. It takes years to recover.

I just about bought some property a few months back that is now under water. I’m glad I decided against it..

both my dad and brother have lost there homes to the flooding

Sorry to hear that. I have some family out in the Valley area and one of their basement walls collapsed but other than that not bad. My wifes parents are in Waterloo so they’re not exactly under water but everything around them is.

Terrible deal here all around..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT