ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska baseball team

Huskers were very unlucky today, with the weather delays and all that. Also a pretty goofy double play killed their best scoring threat.

So I'm not all that bummed about today's performance, but the endless excuses for Erstad's perennial mediocrity makes me laugh. Remember, this is the guy who was going to ABSOLUTELY DOMINATE the Big Ten, and now the goal posts get moved year after year as the same people who made that claim try to convince themselves he's doing a great job.

The late regular season run ensures that Erstad will be back in 2017, and I really hope the NU turns the corner. But with the resources and fan support this program has, it's underachieving.
Let's let the moving goal posts stay with Tulsa tom... That's a football reference.

Can we say that the foul pole continues to be moved?

So, where's the next Van Horn hire coming? You guys act like NU is a baseball school with little history to back it up. Kind of the same with basketball. Great facilities and an eager coach. Build it and they will come. Not so easy is it?
Tom Osborne himself said he had "major conference coaches" calling him for this job in 2011 (they already knew we were moving to a weaker conference, but the facilities and fan-base were attractive, according to TO). But he gave it to a 1-year volunteer assistant. Who does that?

One of the greatest coaches in college football history does that ....but unfortunately one of the more mediocre AD's in recent history as well

All I know is Riley's team finished way better than the Osborne hires did. But don't worry, we still have a ton of talent with potential (and nice clean uniforms)
Why do you keep bringing Osborne into everything? Seriously...do you notice that the only person who ever brings up Osborne is you? No one else. Just you. Im not mad its just weird

Who here is still wanting to stick with Erstad? curious. Seems like maybe 10 percent of whoever talks about it

Who here is still wanting to stick with Erstad? curious. Seems like maybe 10 percent of whoever talks about it
Wait.... we aren't pkaying the "blame the A.D. and Chancellor" game?
Sorry, I need a Cliffs notes on when that applies. Thanks in advance!!!

So, where's the next Van Horn hire coming? You guys act like NU is a baseball school with little history to back it up. Kind of the same with basketball. Great facilities and an eager coach. Build it and they will come. Not so easy is it?
We don't need the next Van Horn to surpass zero Big Ten titles in 5 years and 1 regional win. But I get it...Erstad talks a good game(rarely delivers)...and was a former Husker great so many are okay with just being "okay" in baseball.

Let's let the moving goal posts stay with Tulsa tom... That's a football reference.

Can we say that the foul pole continues to be moved?
I think moving the fences in is the most appropriate saying. Erstad's playing on a softball field around here.

Reactions: timnsun
We don't need the next Van Horn to surpass zero Big Ten titles in 5 years and 1 regional win. But I get it...Erstad talks a good game(rarely delivers)...and was a former Husker great so many are okay with just being "okay" in baseball.

Look, you're not gonna troll me saying the same ol' mantra day after day. I'm not the enemy. Is there only room for Pro-Erstad/Anti-Erstad? I'm not sold on Erstad. I'm also not throwing him under the bus, either. At a non-baseball school like NU is Erstad bad enough to replace him? That's where I'm at.

Look, you're not gonna troll me saying the same ol' mantra day after day. I'm not the enemy. Is there only room for Pro-Erstad/Anti-Erstad? I'm not sold on Erstad. I'm also not throwing him under the bus, either. At a non-baseball school like NU is Erstad bad enough to replace him? That's where I'm at.
Nobody is trying to troll you. But it's laughable that you, or anyone else for that matter think we need the "next Van Horn" to be successful.n Erstad had zero business getting the job in the first place...but thanks to some backwards thinking to the previous AD..he did. And now we either have to hope he figures it out after 5 years...or jumps to the pros. Which...would be great.

Nobody is trying to troll you. But it's laughable that you, or anyone else for that matter think we need the "next Van Horn" to be successful.n Erstad had zero business getting the job in the first place...but thanks to some backwards thinking to the previous AD..he did. And now we either have to hope he figures it out after 5 years...or jumps to the pros. Which...would be great.

I think the main question is have we improved the last 5 years. Yes we have improved from the previous coach. But as a fan base we expect more and to be honest with the facilities and support they have we deserve better than what was on the field the last 4 games.

Historically we are playing to our average. DONU had a 10 year hot streak which also coincided with our Big 12 years. Having a southern footprint helped the program. DVH won with fundamental and small ball. Anderson tried to win with talent and power. DE is somewhere in between. What we need is to go back to focusing on pitching and more discipline at the plate. Our defense is stout. If we do that than we might see better results , but not big 12 type of results. Having warm weather games within a relatively close vicinity was a major draw. Was DE the best hire? Probably not, but he sure was better than Anderson and he has done a hell of a lot more with less.

Poor Bloner from HPH just can't deal with reality. They care more about defending an Osborne hire, than winning games in May and June.
I could give two Shits about an Osbourne hire. Havent cared for most any of his hires (especially Pelini and Soliches) I'm just not ready to write off DE. If that warrants name calling than so be it.

Reactions: Soda Popinski
I could give two Shits about an Osbourne hire. Havent cared for most any of his hires (especially Pelini and Soliches) I'm just not ready to write off DE. If that warrants name calling than so be it.
Namecalling? Is that seriously what you are going to stick with? Wow. Lol

Historically we are playing to our average. DONU had a 10 year hot streak which also coincided with our Big 12 years. Having a southern footprint helped the program. DVH won with fundamental and small ball. Anderson tried to win with talent and power. DE is somewhere in between. What we need is to go back to focusing on pitching and more discipline at the plate. Our defense is stout. If we do that than we might see better results , but not big 12 type of results. Having warm weather games within a relatively close vicinity was a major draw. Was DE the best hire? Probably not, but he sure was better than Anderson and he has done a hell of a lot more with less.
"Our defense is stout". Apparently someone does not pay attention in big moments.

Reactions: chachi1282
Namecalling? Is that seriously what you are going to stick with? Wow. Lol
Would you refer to Bloner as a compliment? I did not care for Pelini nor did I support him. Furthermore, Osborne was not a great AD in terms of coaching hires. He did orchestrate us into a better football and basketball conference though.

We obviously didn't do well but people calling for DE's job is ridiculous. DE has taken us to 2 regionals in 3 years. Young team who left alot of Runners in scoring position with their big bat out with an injury.

As long as we take the next step going forward, I'm fine.

Reactions: Soda Popinski
Would you refer to Bloner as a compliment? I did not care for Pelini nor did I support him. Furthermore, Osborne was not a great AD in terms of coaching hires. He did orchestrate us into a better football and basketball conference though.
If you wear it for a badge of pride, on marching orders from bucktooth.... yes, you should take it as a compliment. Any more grade school complaints?

Funny how Van Horn's job was somehow made easier by playing in the Big XII, but none of the other former Big 8 programs trended upward during his time at NU.

Week in and week out, those NU teams faced the toughest competition in school history - and yet it was somehow easier to have a successful team? I've heard a lot of rationalizations for why Erstad is doing just fine, but this one definely goes to the top of the list.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I like everyone else would love to have DVH back at the helm, I'd also take Childress in a heartbeat (neither will return here). the late 90s early 2000s were the golden age of Husker baseball, we had it all. coaches, talent, facilities, fan support, baseball conference and with that came success. So what has changed since then? Our coach is not on par with DVH or Childress, I say Childress instead of Anderson, because when Childress left so did our success. Our current players don't hold a candle to our former players, we are in a much weaker baseball conference, we still have fan support and facilities. So we should dominate the B1G every year, yet in the past 5 we have 0 championships. If Erstad doesn't win a conference title next season hopefully he'll leave or else we have to get rid of him. He will likely be given twice the amount of time that he should be simply because he's a husker. We were in a much better position to hire an elite coach 5 years ago but TO tossed a bone to his former player and with it let us slip further into irrelevance so it will be much more difficult to make a good hire when DE gets the boot.

Reactions: schuele
Even Bill Byrne knew who the better Head Coach was before he left for AtM that is why we were stuck with Anderson.

Our program is still in better shape than it was when Anderson was leading us.
Not at all happy what has happened the past two weeks nobody is but your not going to fire a head coach that has made the regionals the past 2 out of 3 years and finished 2nd in the conference.I think DE needs to make some staff changes.

Any how it's Eichorst job now he can decide who stays and who goes.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Maybe someone can explain it to me, because I don't understand it: why do Husker fans think that great (expensive) facilities + fan support = automatic success? We have excellent basketball and baseball facilities, but not much tradition in either sport. Sure, we had a nice run in baseball, but I remember Buck Beltzer. Until the last Couple years, the stands were never full, ever. I don't even want to get into attendance at The Bob.

Erstad has lead us to two regionals in three years. Twenty years ago we would've been ready to put up a statue. Was he the best coach we could've gotten at the time? Probably not. Are we a program on the level of LSU? Definitely not. As has been pointed out, he's got a light coaching resume, so he's a project in Some ways.

Calling for Erstad's head now won't do any good, just like Miles. Have patience, both of their times will come if they don't improve. Constantly complaining about it gets old. Find something else to think about, like Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

Funny how Van Horn's job was somehow made easier by playing in the Big XII, but none of the other former Big 8 programs trended upward during his time at NU.

Week in and week out, those NU teams faced the toughest competition in school history - and yet it was somehow easier to have a successful team? I've heard a lot of rationalizations for why Erstad is doing just fine, but this one definely goes to the top of the list.
I never said it was easier.

It would be the same if we moved to the mountain west in football. I'd be willing to bet that kind of move would set our program back in terms of recruiting talent... The big 12 is a baseball conference. We were better able to attract southern type players and coaches. Having the southern footprint helped solidify us as a baseball school, the move to the big ten did the opposite...

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
It would be the same if we moved to the mountain west in football. I'd be willing to bet that kind of move would set our program back in terms of recruiting talent... The big 12 is a baseball conference. We were better able to attract talented players and coaches . Having the southern footprint helped solidify us as a baseball school.
And yet it didn't have anything resembling the same effect on any other school in the old Big 8. How strange.

And yet it didn't have anything resembling the same effect on any other school in the old Big 8. How strange.
Really? Kansas state, Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri had some good years. I'm not saying the conference made Nebraska, it was a perfect storm of facilities , coaching and playing against the best that helped our cause. DE took over a shit program and was sent to a shit conference... It's hard enough to bring in championship caliber talent north. I would argue that the move to the big made it even harder... Similar situation for creighton...

Take TCU as an example. A move to a better conference has enabled them to recruit better talent, attract better assistants and play at a higher level... I fully realize TCU was making some noise prior to their move, but I'm not convinced that they could have done so week in week out before the move

Sorry to call BS on the absolutely laughable notion that Erstad has a steeper hill to climb than the one Van Horn faced when he took over the NU program. Why don't you ask 1,000 people who know their butt from a hole in the ground about college baseball, and see how many of them agree with you. I'll put the over/under at 2.

Take TCU as an example. A move to a better conference has enabled them to recruit better talent, attract better assistants and play at a higher level... I fully realize TCU was making some noise prior to their move, but I'm not convinced that they could have done so week in week out before the move
In the four years immediately prior to joining the Big XII, TCU went to the College World Series once and the Super Regionals twice. Try again.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Sorry to call BS on the absolutely laughable notion that Erstad has a steeper hill to climb than the one Van Horn faced when he took over the NU program. Why don't you ask 1,000 people who know their butt from a hole in the ground about college baseball, and see how many of them agree with you. I'll put the over/under at 2.
When did I ever say that Van Horn didn't have a steeper hill to climb? Who are you? I really hope you are never on a jury.

Always made it through jury duty just fine, thank you. But then the people arguing the cases presented actual facts, and had the slightest idea what they were talking about, so that helped.

Reactions: Laces_Out_Dan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT