ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska baseball team

Huskers were very unlucky today, with the weather delays and all that. Also a pretty goofy double play killed their best scoring threat.

So I'm not all that bummed about today's performance, but the endless excuses for Erstad's perennial mediocrity makes me laugh. Remember, this is the guy who was going to ABSOLUTELY DOMINATE the Big Ten, and now the goal posts get moved year after year as the same people who made that claim try to convince themselves he's doing a great job.

The late regular season run ensures that Erstad will be back in 2017, and I really hope the NU turns the corner. But with the resources and fan support this program has, it's underachieving.

Last edited:
No kidding. First we're assured that Erstad's going to run roughshod over the crappy Big Ten Conference, and now the crappy conference is a go-to excuse why the program is underachieving.
Some people can't think beyond Erstad being a former great Husker. It impacts their judgment when evaluating what he has done as a coach. Which is not a whole lot. If this was an outsider many would not be happy with the lackluster results.

Postseason record the last two years: 0-6. That is beyond pathetic, embaraassing and completely unacceptable for this program.

We were told Erstads coaching style produced results as the year goes on....well, four game losing streak to end the year. Scoring 4 runs in the last 36 innings. 1 regional win in five years...to go along with zero big ten tournament or regular season titles. How has that coaching style been working out for him? Spin that homers.

Well I now live in Arkansas and the coach here had a horrible season! Neb's past coach! Granted he lost lots of players to the Royals but it happens to all teams!

Well I now live in Arkansas and the coach here had a horrible season! Neb's past coach! Granted he lost lots of players to the Royals but it happens to all teams!
Yeah? What else does DVH have to show for it at Arkansas? I'm going to guess its a lot more than what Erstad has done at his alma mater. We needed to at the very least make a regional this year. We did that. But it's pretty clear we will continue to be big but mediocre under his watch.

This is Big Ten baseball - it is pathetic considering the size of the conference

The last Big Ten baseball championship or runner up was in 1966
The Big Ten has had a grand total of one team earn a trip to the CWS in the last 30 years ...... one!

We should be spending the bare minimum on baseball in this conference

This is Big Ten baseball - it is pathetic considering the size of the conference

The last Big Ten baseball championship or runner up was in 1966
The Big Ten has had a grand total of one team earn a trip to the CWS in the last 30 years ...... one!

We should be spending the bare minimum on baseball in this conference
What a load. Top-notch facilities and a damn good following. The B1G excuse MIGHT be less pathetic if we actually were good against all those terrible programs. Lol.

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
Well if Erstad had 6 CWS appearances to his name and was having his first bad season in 14 years at Nebraska, then you'd have a point. In his 2nd season at Nebraska, DVH had already won more conference championships and as many NCAA tournament games as Erstad has won in 5 years. The two coaches are not even on the same planet in comparison.

I am not for getting rid of Erstad by the way. I am in favor of ending the blame of his boss, and to stop playing fancy-boy baseball.

Well if Erstad had 6 CWS appearances to his name and was having his first bad season in 14 years at Nebraska, then you'd have a point. In his 2nd season at Nebraska, DVH had already won more conference championships and as many NCAA tournament games as Erstad has won in 5 years. The two coaches are not even on the same planet in comparison.

You guys are using way more than one word.

So, where's the next Van Horn hire coming? You guys act like NU is a baseball school with little history to back it up. Kind of the same with basketball. Great facilities and an eager coach. Build it and they will come. Not so easy is it?

Reactions: jlb321
I still think people are forgetting that Vanhorn was simply amazing and came in as amazing time.

So, where's the next Van Horn hire coming? You guys act like NU is a baseball school with little history to back it up. Kind of the same with basketball. Great facilities and an eager coach. Build it and they will come. Not so easy is it?
We could at least try instead of hiring a guy who has zero coaching experience.

Reactions: jlb321
I still think people are forgetting that Vanhorn was simply amazing and came in as amazing time.
I had no intention of bringing Van Horn's name into this conversation, because I don't expect Erstad to approach those results. But if someone wants to point at 2016 as evidence that Van Horn's really not that great of a baseball coach - well then, I'll gladly take him back.

I had no intention of bringing Van Horn's name into this conversation, because I don't expect Erstad to approach those results. But if someone wants to point at 2016 as evidence that Van Horn's really not that great of a baseball coach - well then, I'll gladly take him back.
So would all of us!

Iowa fan living in Omaha, coming in peace. I told all my friends when Nebraska joined the B1G that is was great move in every sport (male and female) except for the baseball program. While the B1G has done a nice job in the past 5 years building better facilities and actually paying attention to the sport, it will just never be the same the Big XII. I love what Heller has done with our program and Iowa has poured some money into the facilities and will continue to do so, but I am not expecting a CWS trip any time soon. With that said, if B1G teams can just go dancing and get some hot pitching you just never know. However, there are reasons VanHorn and Tracy Smith left for the Pac 12 and SEC, namely the pay check and pool of talent they can draw.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT