ADVERTISEMENT

My sources are saying another commit soon

IN HIS OWN WORDS: "I committed to coach Frost and coach Held Wednesday and they were definitely surprised," said Thompkins. "As soon as I told them, the whole staff was going crazy about my commitment.

"Nebraska has always been on me hard since day one with recruiting. When it got down to a critical point of my decision, the comfort level, the business programs they are offering, the opportunity to get a chance to play early and also the amazing facilities they have all in one kinda helped me make the decision.

"Also the opportunity to experience something new and different also pushed me towards Nebraska.

"I have talked to Breon Dixon and Mohamed Barry (former players at Grayson) and they told me it is full of energy there and a family environment everywhere.

"I plan to be out there June 22 for my first visit, then take my official visit in the fall."

RIVALS REACTION: Thompkins is one many want to see play this fall. He went down early last season with an ACL injury, so he was held out of contact drills this spring and he is ready to hit the field full speed when fall camp starts. Not many know the type of athlete Thompkins is. Some schools even liked him as a defensive back. He has good size, he can run with authority and he is a back that had a little wiggle to his game before the injury. He was at one time committed to Florida State and Mississippi Statewas viewed as the favorite by some this spring, but the Huskers worked this one well behind the scenes and picked up the commitment

How many RBs do we need again?

Maybe Bell really is gonna be a one and done and maybe MW doesn't make it. Who knows, but welcome aboard young man!

Another running back? I'm guessing this means the staff doesn't think Maurice Washington will ever make it.

http://www.public.hudl.com/profile/7681245/Ronald-Thompkins-Jr

Seems like he has good hands and can run up the middle well too. See the second vid in the link above. (sorry, it wouldn't embed properly for me)
Seems like a very efficient runner with the ball in his hands. Not a lot of dancing, he attacks his angle. He'll cut if it's there but doesn't seem to leave yards on the field by trying to turn everything into a 41-cutback TD run. If what's there is to pick up 7 and go strong into contact with the safety, he does it.

Probably looking at him for that RB/WR position with his receiving skills.

I imagine Rivals will bump him if he has a solid season. Seems like the 5.7 rating is in part a response to his injury.

I read that somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. But the writer said that he was a 4 star because of the injury and if he proves he's back from the injury he will likely be bumped to a 5 star.

Reactions: scarletred
Sounds like he will play the "Duck R' position. Similar to Lindsey. Slot guy/RB. Great get. Amazing offer list.

In my opinion he seems more like your traditional running back, with Grayson and Johnson looking more “Duck” type but love that they have the options!

I don’t think this has much to do with Maurice Washington. We have a fairly old running back room. Ozigbo and Wilbon are seniors, Bryant is a junior and is a question mark at the very least. Wyatt Mazour is a junior but has not played significant snaps at RB yet. Bell is a junior that hasn’t played a snap. That leaves Bradley and Washington as underclassmen.

Also, this keeps the pipeline at Grayson High School open and maybe it gives others (including Owen Pappoe) something to chew on as the year goes on!!

GBR!!

In my opinion he seems more like your traditional running back, with Grayson and Johnson looking more “Duck” type but love that they have the options!

I don’t think this has much to do with Maurice Washington. We have a fairly old running back room. Ozigbo and Wilbon are seniors, Bryant is a junior and is a question mark at the very least. Wyatt Mazour is a junior but has not played significant snaps at RB yet. Bell is a junior that hasn’t played a snap. That leaves Bradley and Washington as underclassmen.

Also, this keeps the pipeline at Grayson High School open and maybe it gives others (including Owen Pappoe) something to chew on as the year goes on!!

GBR!!

I’d agree with you, believe the staff going to play him as a running back not too mention Miles Jones is coming in this year playing in the Duck position...

At this point MW is a wild card and might not make it here.

Anyone else a little worried about a commit from a kid that hasn’t even been on campus yet?
No because he's visiting very soon and is from the same HS as two current players in Dixon and Mo Barry. So it's not like he has no idea what he's getting into, he has friends who he talks to about what it's like. I'm not any more worried about him than any other June commit.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
No because he's visiting very soon and is from the same HS as two current players in Dixon and Mo Barry. So I'm not any more worried about him than any other June commit.
This. I am happy as hell about this commit, but I have learned over the years to temper my enthusiasm for these early commits.

That said... what has often happened in the past is that our staff gets a commit from an under the radar kid who only has a few offers, only to lose the kid when his stock rises and other offers start coming in. This kid already has tons of offers and lots of good options. So this one seems solid to me.

This. I am happy as hell about this commit, but I have learned over the years to temper my enthusiasm for these early commits.

That said... what has often happened in the past is that our staff gets a commit from an under the radar kid who only has a few offers, only to lose the kid when his stock rises and other offers start coming in. This kid already has tons of offers and lots of good options. So this one seems solid to me.
I think more of the last staff's June commits would have stuck if they didn't spend October and November embarrassing themselves and making it clear they wouldn't be employed much longer. I don't blame a kid for flipping to OU after watching that. Lord knows I turned it off early a few times.

Ronald Thompkins 5.7 3 Star RB committed to the Huskers per tweeter.
This kid sounds like an ideal fit for Frost's offense. Good speed, good vision and elusive. He probably should move up the rankings this year. One thing that's nice about recruiting in Georgia is that Georgia and Alabama are recruiting at such a supper high level with RB's right now that there's a real opportunity to recruit a great running back out of Georgia. I'll gladly take a high potential 3 star out of Georgia any time.

Forgive me if I want to call the Duck R position the "wingback" from now on. Yes, I think Rahmir Johnson and Miles Jones are wingbacks.

You can call it anything you like :) but Frost and his staff call it the "Duck R" position.Winking

giphy.gif

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/ronald-thompkins-commit-what-does-it-mean-for-nebraska-The 6-foot, 195-pound running back announced his decision via Twitter on Friday afternoon. He had 19 offers to his name and picked the Big Red over Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Indiana, LSU, Oregon, Penn State, and USC among others. Thompkins becomes the ninth known commit for Nebraska's 2019 recruiting class.
1. Nebraska's recruiting has been on fire in the month of June. The Huskers have now added four commitments to its 2019 class including Thompkins as well as two transfers that will be immediately eligible to play this fall. NU has also hosted unofficial visitors nearly every day this month and more commitments could be on the horizon with Friday Night Lights camps set to start later today.

2. Nebraska running backs coach Ryan Held is a heck of a recruiter. With Thompkins now in the boat, the former Husker has landed more running backs to come play for the Big Red since being hired in December than the previous coaching staff did in three years. Of course, not all of Held's backs are on campus yet, but there is no denying the coach flat out produces on the recruiting trail at a very high level.

3. Nebraska gets another very good player out of the state of Georgia and their first one for the 2019 class. The Huskers have made it known that they want to recruit the Peach State at a high level and this staff has shown the ability to do so as they landed K Legrone and Caleb Tannor last year in a limited amount of time and have now pulled Thompkins away from some heavy hitters as well.
DfwB2h6UYAA2QLa.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/n...m_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SF_Landof10_Neb
Having two Grayson alumni on the Nebraska roster — Breon Dixon and Mohamed Barry — helped the Huskers’ case.

“That was huge, because he’s really close with both of those guys,” Watson said.

Thompkins made this decision without seeing the campus. He will make his first visit to Nebraska next weekend for the second Friday Night Lights camp of the summer.

Watson said things started heating up between Nebraska and Thompkins about a month ago. Watson traveled to Nebraska two years ago and loved it. The Huskers have a very positive image inside Grayson’s walls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT