ADVERTISEMENT

My attempt at...

Sep 7, 2015
not jumping off the roof with everyone else. This was my first real look at the team since I missed the first game due to a vacation and haven't watched it on dvr yet. I am heavy on the side that Eichorst is the wrong AD and Riley should never have been hired but I think there are some bright spots that showed up yesterday. The question is whether they will lead to continued growth or were an aberration.

1. Defensive effort in 2nd half. This one is obvious but I think it may have been a turning point for the D. It wasn't about X's and O's but simply effort and attitude. They played with abandon and they attacked the line of scrimmage. The run defense was very stout. Sure they benefitted a little from a conservative approach by the Ducks but they played loose and with some fire. I hope they can bottle that effort and unleash next week to build on it.
  2. T. Lee. Surprised huh? While I was disappointed at how he locked onto receivers at times(I swear others on this board told me that wouldn't happen now that TA is gone), he also threw some balls that fit into tight windows and should have been caught. I can think of 2-3 alone that Morgan should have caught including the first interception.
  3. Tre Bryant. Dude was a stud again until he got hurt. Hope he's not out for any long time period. There is definitely a gap between him and the others.
  4. Hoppes. He can be a weapon, I wish they used him more yesterday as he is a match up issue with his size and athleticism.
  5. DLine - played really well overall and dominated the 2nd half.
  6. Gifford. He is the heart and soul of the defense. If the D mirrors his effort and attitude, it will be just fine
  7. Bootle. Like his ability and looking forward to his development
  8. Farniok. Held up fine for his first start and may just have supplanted Knevel
  9. Spielman. Young but shows that he belongs
There were some bright spots yesterday despite the atrocious first half. There are many concerns still and this coaching staff has several. The offensive staff seems to get a pass these days and I don't understand why. Langsdorf and Williams especially. DL is just not a good play caller overall. He has his moments but abandons the run too easily period. If Williams is so great, why do we continue to have so many drops and see such little separation. Do we overrate our WR corps? Don't even get me started on Cavanaugh.

In the end, the 2nd half will either be a springboard to something better or just an oasis in a desert.

Reactions: timnsun
not jumping off the roof with everyone else. This was my first real look at the team since I missed the first game due to a vacation and haven't watched it on dvr yet. I am heavy on the side that Eichorst is the wrong AD and Riley should never have been hired but I think there are some bright spots that showed up yesterday. The question is whether they will lead to continued growth or were an aberration.

1. Defensive effort in 2nd half. This one is obvious but I think it may have been a turning point for the D. It wasn't about X's and O's but simply effort and attitude. They played with abandon and they attacked the line of scrimmage. The run defense was very stout. Sure they benefitted a little from a conservative approach by the Ducks but they played loose and with some fire. I hope they can bottle that effort and unleash next week to build on it.
  2. T. Lee. Surprised huh? While I was disappointed at how he locked onto receivers at times(I swear others on this board told me that wouldn't happen now that TA is gone), he also threw some balls that fit into tight windows and should have been caught. I can think of 2-3 alone that Morgan should have caught including the first interception.
  3. Tre Bryant. Dude was a stud again until he got hurt. Hope he's not out for any long time period. There is definitely a gap between him and the others.
  4. Hoppes. He can be a weapon, I wish they used him more yesterday as he is a match up issue with his size and athleticism.
  5. DLine - played really well overall and dominated the 2nd half.
  6. Gifford. He is the heart and soul of the defense. If the D mirrors his effort and attitude, it will be just fine
  7. Bootle. Like his ability and looking forward to his development
  8. Farniok. Held up fine for his first start and may just have supplanted Knevel
  9. Spielman. Young but shows that he belongs
There were some bright spots yesterday despite the atrocious first half. There are many concerns still and this coaching staff has several. The offensive staff seems to get a pass these days and I don't understand why. Langsdorf and Williams especially. DL is just not a good play caller overall. He has his moments but abandons the run too easily period. If Williams is so great, why do we continue to have so many drops and see such little separation. Do we overrate our WR corps? Don't even get me started on Cavanaugh.

In the end, the 2nd half will either be a springboard to something better or just an oasis in a desert.
Well said. I appreciated that you recognized both sides in this post, something I don't usually do. My optimism often drowns out the concerns. Thanks for this post which was pretty objective both ways.

Lee got no help from his receivers. First pass of the game, and it ricochets off a facemask into an interception? Totally unacceptable. Watched the game again last night, and way too many passes hit receivers in the hands and were dropped. If these receivers think they are going to make it to the NFL because they are tall and fast, they are in for a reality check. They need to catch every single ball. No excuses. The quarterback is out there getting hit, so yeah not every pass is going to be perfectly thrown. Really lazy effort on their part in this game.

Reactions: RedMyMind
The first half defensive performance bordered on demoralizing, with the second half mitigating things back to just concerning. Every snap is important to the development of our Dbacks, corners especially. Get the passing D up to par and the run D will need to improve before we face Wisconsin.
The question that now needs to be answered is whether Lee just had a bad game or if he's just another college QB who throws a "really nice ball" and also makes bad decisions.
Put a call in to the deity of your choice that Tre's injury is not serious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT