ADVERTISEMENT

Mitch Sherman

I am not sure that it is the coaching changes. Continuity is cool, but Alabama has been going through coaches for 10 years. I think that keeping coaches on staff that have already been hired by another school, like Locksley, is what the problem was this year.

Think back to when Kiffin left, he coached the semi, then Saban sent him to FAU early because he wasn't giving his all to Alabama.
I think they lucked out that year that the coaching change didn't affect them. I don't know if that's the answer either about Locksley. For whatever reason, Alabama just didn't show up for this game. I think Alabama and Clemson are two evenly matched teams. Like others have said if they played again, I think the outcome is very different.

I think they lucked out that year that the coaching change didn't affect them. I don't know if that's the answer either about Locksley. For whatever reason, Alabama just didn't show up for this game. I think Alabama and Clemson are two evenly matched teams. Like others have said if they played again, I think the outcome is very different.

They actually lost the game after Kiffin went to FAU.

The offensive game plan lacked creativity. They were running the ball well and went away from it. Then they tried to run the ball 3 straight time inside the 3 and called some ridiculous QB run on 4th down and goal. I think the chances of Locksley having his attention elsewhere for this game, especially missing the early signing period at Maryland, were pretty good

Reactions: Yossarian23
This debate happens every couple of years.

Until a team beats all their top 10 ranked opponents (4 of them) by an average of 31 points, I’m gonna say Nebraska is still tops. Also won all games by an average of 39...

Obviously I’m biased, but stats don’t lie.

You can't just use point differential, if you do, you are saying that the loser of those games (Florida and Alabama) are identical and a constant. We know that isn't true. If Nebraska had played a team, like 2018 Alabama, they may not have won by 38.
True, but they could also have won by more...

What's crazy is how much worse the margin of victory stat could have been in '95. We had second stringers in by the 2nd quarter in a few of those games. That 49-0 Pacific game is a bit misleading as we could have dropped 80 on them. That's how Tommie lost his Heisman...stats were a bit light because he was on the bench so much.

Reactions: timnsun
Pretty good teams :rolleyes:.Sports Illustrated a year or two put out a coffee top College Football Greatest..Best QB, Best Running back,Best Offensive Line man, Best Coach,Best Bowl Game etc, etc, etc..
The Best Single- season teams Top 10 were #1 1995, Nebraska,#2 1971 Nebraska,#3 1972 USC #4 Miami Fla..

Other publications have also mentioned the 1995 and 1971 Nebraska teams as amongst the best All-time...

Obviously you are too young knowing anything about College Football History...Go away till you learn some history sonny boy...
Sporting news voted 71 NU as the greatest all time in 2011

Reactions: scarletred
I'm of the mind that players are more athletic today than they were 23 years ago (simply because S&C is ahead of where it was then), but can we quantify the difference between a 28-point win in the NC game today vs a 38 or 45-point win in the NC game in '96?

I do believe we saw better athletes playing against better athletes on Monday night than we did 23 years ago, but I don't know how you would go about making the comparison in scores. You could make individual athletic comparisons via testing numbers, but then you still have to adjust for the different margin of victory. Suffice it to say that Clemson was damn good on Monday.
Teams back then could hit harder because of current rules limit that much more, now--and they did, much harder imo.

Reactions: scarletred
The interesting thing to me is that Bama looked to me like in that first half anyway they could run the ball down their throats but they kept getting away from the run to sling it on 1st and 2nd downs. Inevitably Tua would miss a receiver and then Clemson made them pay. I think Bama's offensive game plan really let them down. I think those 2 teams could play on another day and have a quite different outcome. Clemson clearly appeared to be much better prepared which maybe speaks to the possibility that all the coaching changes have finally come home to roost for Saban.

Alabama dominated the first half and was down double digits. Both coordinators looked like they didnt even belong coaching college ball. I believe they quit midway through the 3rd quarter.

Me too. Actually went to that one and the Orange Bowl the previous year. The Orange Bowl was the more gratifying win of the two to attend to be honest. Certainly much more emotional when we won.

I felt even more excitement for #2 for TO. That beatdown of Florida was the most dominant cap to a dominant season. Nothing tops that feeling for me. I respect your love for #1.

I felt even more excitement for #2 for TO. That beatdown of Florida was the most dominant cap to a dominant season. Nothing tops that feeling for me. I respect your love for #1.

Agree. The feeling after the Miami game was more just relief that it finally happened. Huge emotion. 1995 was just the satisfaction of beating the ever loving piss out of everyone who stepped on the field with us, including watching the shills at ESPN eat their crow pie over Danny Waffle and “The Old Ball Coach.” I knew before that game ever started that it was our night, I had every expectation that we would win that game and actually laughed at the pre-game commentary. Just didn’t realize we would beat the piss outta the gates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT