ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesota Score Updates

The tone was set in the first inning. Minnesota's pitcher can't find the plate and walks the first two batters so we give him an out by bunting?!?! Then the colossal double brain cramp on the bases. It was over after that.

Originally posted by kaz36:
This is an embarrassing loss. Anything less than a sweep is a disappointment.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
It was embarrassing in the way that it happened. Come Sunday, a series win is plenty good enough. But now there's no margin for error.

I do agree that a series win will minimize the impact this game will have in the long hall but where I get concerned isn't so much the loss but who it was against and how it happened. Minny's pitching staff is horrid and we were shutout. I believe we will win the series but longterm is where my concern lays. The top of the lineup is starting to press at the plate because of the burden of having to get a hit every at bat to stand a chance and now our pitchers are starting to feel the stress of needing to pitch a shutout to have a chance. The mentality of this team is slipping, let's hope they can find some magic in those bats here soon because this is one of the worst teams we'll face the rest of the year. Purdue and Northwestern are pretty much it for what should be gaurantee series wins. Who knows, that's why we play the game! :)

We are slumping. When elite teams slump they come roaring back, average teams come limping back. We're in the middle. We'll come back and make the regionals but hosting has now become problematic. Host teams are near-elite to elite and, for a while, we looked like that but not so much anymore. How we come back will tell us much about who we are.

I will say that at no time this year have we hit like a host team and it's hard to see how that can change. An at large bid still looks very likely though. Counting on it, right?

Originally posted by RobsterMobster:
Agree with Kaz, this team has been in a bad funk. Started against UNO even though we won that game. No excuse to not even score a run against a team with a horrible pitching staff.
You are right, the Gophers staff had been poor. Prior to this year, Meyers had been a solid B1G pitcher with a 9-9 record with about a 2.60 ERA. His performance this year until last night had been uncharacteristic.

Originally posted by Lincoln gopher:

Originally posted by RobsterMobster:
Agree with Kaz, this team has been in a bad funk. Started against UNO even though we won that game. No excuse to not even score a run against a team with a horrible pitching staff.

You are right, the Gophers staff had been poor. Prior to this year, Meyers had been a solid B1G pitcher with a 9-9 record with about a 2.60 ERA. His performance this year until last night had been uncharacteristic.
What's your speculation on the drop in pitching? Minny is usually decent when it comes to its pitching most years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT