ADVERTISEMENT

Minneapolis

Thank you. 2nd week of Sept is the goal. Tricky line to walk wanting to he dun with the bugs and wanting warm(ish) weather. We're open to the whole state...we've never been so I know less than nothing about the place.
I doubt bugs would be a concern at any point in September. We go camping in Augusut up north and it's hit or miss on bugs depending on the year and rainfall.

I've never heard anyone complain about the Ely area but I have no idea on mountain biking. It's about 9.5 hours from Omaha though, whereas Park Rapdis area is closer to 7 hours. Otter tail County is close to 6.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Why Duluth ? Cooler in July ?
There’s nothing in Duluth, besides the Lake Superior Maritime visitor center and the story of the Edmund Fitzgerald. You pass through Duluth and continue going further north for some beautiful lakes and camping.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Thank you. 2nd week of Sept is the goal. Tricky line to walk wanting to he dun with the bugs and wanting warm(ish) weather. We're open to the whole state...we've never been so I know less than nothing about the place.
We stayed at a cabin on Lake Lida near Pelican Rapids last August. It was next to Maplewoods State Park We usually stay near Alexandria and the area around Maplewoods is MUCH more woodsy and picturesque. You should look up Maplewoods, there might be mountain biking trails, not sure.

the twin cities are not really minnesota, which as we know it begins north of i-94. south is ag albeit northfield is one cool town between rochester and the cities, home to st. olaf college for the uppities.

otherwise, north of the cities, st. cloud, alexandria, fergus falls, and so on. that's the line where it starts getting pretty. as someone who has summered there since the 60s i can't think of a better place to spend time. great people. beautiful lakes. clear waters. scenic byways. peace.
361630603_298759989190008_8409634425412739957_n.jpg

the twin cities are not really minnesota, which as we know it begins north of i-94. south is ag albeit northfield is one cool town between rochester and the cities, home to st. olaf college for the uppities.

otherwise, north of the cities, st. cloud, alexandria, fergus falls, and so on. that's the line where it starts getting pretty. as someone who has summered there since the 60s i can't think of a better place to spend time. great people. beautiful lakes. clear waters. scenic byways.
361630603_298759989190008_8409634425412739957_n.jpg
What lake or area is that pic from?

nope, it's not a rental. just family. first purchased as part of a resort in '66 by in-laws. resort now gone. we built our cottage in 2011. lake property is expensive. would not have done it without in-laws having paved the way. otherwise unaffordable. there's been a migration to the north from the cities since covid which was exacerbated by the violence there.

Oof, this is awesome. It is my goal to have one of these up there someday. You rent this place out or is it just for you? Looks absolutely killer.

Reactions: huskerfan66
nope, it's not a rental. just family. first purchased as part of a resort in '66 by in-laws. resort now gone. we built our cottage in 2011. lake property is expensive. would not have done it without in-laws having paved the way. otherwise unaffordable. there's been a migration to the north from the cities since covid which was exacerbated by the violence there.
I've spent my entire life taking family summer vacations in the Alexandria area, lately at Lake Osakis. What you say about the cost of lake property is a bummer. I've been dreaming of owning a place in Minnesota for years and now that I'm at the age and position to think about it, it's too much to justify.

The migration isn't from violence in the cities. The migration is from people retiring and work from home flexibility.

I've spent my entire life taking family summer vacations in the Alexandria area, lately at Lake Osakis. What you say about the cost of lake property is a bummer. I've been dreaming of owning a place in Minnesota for years and now that I'm at the age and position to think about it, it's too much to justify.
well, a lot of this is dependent on your standards. there's no upper limit. but you can buy property and do something with it.

Reactions: mgbreis
Yeah. We all missed the boat. Everyone in the Midwest wants a cabin in MN and there just aren't enough lake lots to go around. Only chance to bring prices down would be baby boomers dying off and heirs don't want them due to taxes and upkeep. Fat chance of that though.

I see a couple rentals on that lake. Looks really nice. I bought a bigger boat this year, but still prefer these smaller lakes where I can see the shore at all times. We have been going to Osage the last few years and staying at a great small resort. Dont like big crowds, so Im not into the whole party cove deal. Just want the scenery and fishing/boating

Reactions: leodisflowers
well, a lot of this is dependent on your standards. there's no upper limit. but you can buy property and do something with it.

Tons of cost and upkeep that people don't realize. Docks, dock removal and installation, mowing, boats and PWC, boat and PWC storage, winterization, taxes, possibly snow removal, etc.

I see a couple rentals on that lake. Looks really nice. I bought a bigger boat this year, but still prefer these smaller lakes where I can see the shore at all times. We have been going to Osage the last few years and staying at a great small resort. Dont like big crowds, so Im not into the whole party cove deal. Just want the scenery and fishing/boating
irene would be a great spot to try. close enough to alex to have dinner outings, church, hospital, etc. yet isolated enough to feel you're away from it all. 700 acres. great crappie, panfish, and walleye - stocked annually. deep, clear water. easy access. try it.

Reactions: nostromo78
Tons of cost and upkeep that people don't realize. Docks, dock removal and installation, mowing, boats and PWC, boat and PWC storage, winterization, taxes, possibly snow removal, etc.
docks in and out $600 annually
mowing $50/week
lawn fert/insecticide $250 annually
boat/pontoon storage $1000 annually
winterization - we don't, just keep gas heat at 60 degrees
taxes - $5000 on $500,000 cottage
snow removal - zero, we're in manhattan watching the cats

Reactions: huskerfan66
docks in and out $600 annually
mowing $50/week
lawn fert/insecticide $250 annually
boat/pontoon storage $1000 annually
winterization - we don't, just keep gas heat at 60 degrees
taxes - $5000 on $500,000 cottage
snow removal - zero, we're in manhattan watching the cats
Yeah, your at like $8,000 a year with no loan. And a lot of those school districts and counties support the schools and roads with taxes from lakeshore. So someone buying a cabin up there today doesn't realize they get a levy dropped on them with no voting rights. I would love to own a cabin but it's a money pit for sure.

Yeah, your at like $8,000 a year with no loan. And a lot of those school districts and counties support the schools and roads with taxes from lakeshore. So someone buying a cabin up there today doesn't realize they get a levy dropped on them with no voting rights. I would love to own a cabin but it's a money pit for sure.
right. no loan. ha.

Charlie, not sure if you have Korean connections due to the many Kpop groups you often post (my wife is a Korean adoptee), but there’s good Korean eats in the area. Hoban is a popular Korean restaurant, and Dong Yang’s oriental food in Fridley has some great food they cook up in the store.
I don't know if I wanna visit a restaurant with the word dong in it.

• Haha
Reactions: timnsun
My wife mentioned the skyways. I don't know, man. Are they all that?
I mean, it’s great during the winter. You can use the skyways to go to a lot of places downtown, which is awesome, but not sure how exciting they are…

I mean, it’s great during the winter. You can use the skyways to go to a lot of places downtown, which is awesome, but not sure how exciting they are…
The last person I talked to said some of them were blocked off because so many stores were closed. They said homeless folks were camping out in some of them.

The last person I talked to said some of them were blocked off because so many stores were closed. They said homeless folks were camping out in some of them.
I really couldn’t say, as I don’t use them enough.

My wife mentioned the skyways. I don't know, man. Are they all that?
Depends. For weekend concerts at the Target Center they are nice to walk from the hotel in warmth in winter. No food vendors on the weekend though. During the week they are filled, or at least where I have been, with workers and you have food options without going outside.

I have never had the homeless and gang problem that people claim is out of control, although I'm sure it exists in some capacity. People also freak out about the bums in Vegas but they never bother me or my wife.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Depends. For weekend concerts at the Target Center they are nice to walk from the hotel in warmth in winter. No food vendors on the weekend though. During the week they are filled, or at least where I have been, with workers and you have food options without going outside.

I have never had the homeless and gang problem that people claim is out of control, although I'm sure it exists in some capacity. People also freak out about the bums in Vegas but they never bother me or my wife.
That's my experience with the Minneapolis skyways. Bustling on weekdays, deserted on the weekends. Also, I think they are closed up earlier now than what they used to be. Of course you see homeless wandering around (like every other city in the world) but there's no truth to homeless "camping out" in there. I definitely wouldn't make any plans around utilizing the skyway unless you're just in town for an event that makes them useful.

Last edited:
That's my experience with the Minnesota skyways. Bustling on weekdays, deserted on the weekends. Also, I think they are closed up earlier now than what they used to be. Of course you see homeless wandering around (like every other city in the world) but there's no truth to homeless "camping out" in there. I definitely wouldn't make any plans around utilizing the skyway unless you're just in town for an event that makes them useful.
I used to like going to Twins games and staying downtown. Lots of great restaurants. The handling of the Floyd incident though makes me never want to spend another penny there. 😕

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT