ADVERTISEMENT

Minneapolis

Have a chance to go there for a day or two and I haven’t been in quite a while. Besides ducking bullets and avoiding riots, any suggestions?
I haven’t been back since the riots. A friend who lived there then has been back for Twins and Vikings games and he said the downtown is still a mess and the skywalks were closed. Not sure if that was temporary or semi-permanent due to there being so many closed stores. He has a private parking garage attached somehow to the football stadium so he drives in and then leaves right after the game to stay in the burbs.

376d35a0-b886-4395-b6ce-cf1ad0ec3c64_text.gif

I was in downtown Minneapolis for a week last spring for a work conference. Luckily the Twins were in town the entire time, which brought some foot traffic and positive energy downtown. Otherwise, my impression is not so much that that downtown is dangerous, but just boring AF. The COVID restrictions and their aftermath did that to a lot of cities' downtowns, but Minneapolis sort of got a double whammy.

Conversely, a lot of restaurants and bars out in the suburbs seem to be benefiting from downtown's decline.

Have a chance to go there for a day or two and I haven’t been in quite a while. Besides ducking bullets and avoiding riots, any suggestions?
Charlie, not sure if you have Korean connections due to the many Kpop groups you often post (my wife is a Korean adoptee), but there’s good Korean eats in the area. Hoban is a popular Korean restaurant, and Dong Yang’s oriental food in Fridley has some great food they cook up in the store.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
I went for the Nebraska game and Pearl Jam concert at the beginning of September. Downtown Minneapolis was weird, no one was out ever, expect the homeless, but the bars and restaurants were all full. St. Paul was rough. The streets were all under construction or closed down, the big city park was vacant, fountains were dry, and it was filled with junkies and homeless. Never saw a cop in either city.

Outside of the game and the concert, we went to Paisley Park, which was cool, if you like Prince. And the St. Paul gangster tours was fun, if you are into that. We also went to a Minnehaha Park (sp?) it had a waterfall, live music, food, beer. But that is obviously a no go in winter.

Went to Thanksgiving game and then Celtics game in March. Downtown is kinda disgusting but we stayed at Loews and never went outside. But what I could see from my window was not good.
That’s what my friend says as well. He lived up there for about 6 years and got the hell out of there after the riots. The suburbs are fine but he said he had quit going downtown other than for games.

Stayed and parked in downtown St. Paul back in September. Zero issues. I expected to be killed instantly but somehow survived. Walked from my hotel on the street and skyway. My main impression was everyone used WFH as an excuse to stop commuting and paying for parking, which has led to the decline of downtown.

As for recommendations, don't have any. If I was traveling to Minnesota for vacation I sure as hell wouldn't be going to a city. I would be on a lake. In July. And if I was going to a city it would be Duluth. In July.

That’s what my friend says as well. He lived up there for about 6 years and got the hell out of there after the riots. The suburbs are fine but he said he had quit going downtown other than for games.
Yeah, and it was the same around the stadium too

Reactions: dinglefritz
Stayed and parked in downtown St. Paul back in September. Zero issues. I expected to be killed instantly but somehow survived. Walked from my hotel on the street and skyway. My main impression was everyone used WFH as an excuse to stop commuting and paying for parking, which has led to the decline of downtown.

As for recommendations, don't have any. If I was traveling to Minnesota for vacation I sure as hell wouldn't be going to a city. I would be on a lake. In July. And if I was going to a city it would be Duluth. In July.
Why Duluth ? Cooler in July ?

Spent a few days there last summer in the North Loop, walked everywhere with my family and had 0 issues. Go check out Surly Brewing for good eats and great beers. In the summer Minnehaha Falls is a popular stroll, walk around the river and the old mills. Hit up the sculpture gardens.

Ultimately don’t listen to these scared old pansies, for some reason they shrivel up and cry anytime they see someone wearing a hoodie or who looks different than them.

I went for the Nebraska game and Pearl Jam concert at the beginning of September. Downtown Minneapolis was weird, no one was out ever, expect the homeless, but the bars and restaurants were all full. St. Paul was rough. The streets were all under construction or closed down, the big city park was vacant, fountains were dry, and it was filled with junkies and homeless. Never saw a cop in either city.

Outside of the game and the concert, we went to Paisley Park, which was cool, if you like Prince. And the St. Paul gangster tours was fun, if you are into that. We also went to a Minnehaha Park (sp?) it had a waterfall, live music, food, beer. But that is obviously a no go in winter.
Did you spend any time with PJ while you were there?

We used to go up once a year for a Twins game, stay downtown and hit several restaurants. No more until they hire a bunch of cops and change the way they’re dealing with criminals.
There's no reason not to go to a Twins game, unless it goes 20 innings and ends after midnight. If you don't want to stay or park downtown, the train is an easy walk from Target Field.

Why Duluth ? Cooler in July ?
Duluth has a whole waterfront area with bars, restaurants, and other touristy stuff. The harbor cruise is pretty cool. Plus, you can day trip to the south end of the North Shore.

Actually the opposite. Duluth always seems to be colder than inland or other parts of Minnesota because of Lake Superior. Been probably half a dozen times and July is the best bet for warm weather.

Reactions: mgbreis
Charlie, not sure if you have Korean connections due to the many Kpop groups you often post (my wife is a Korean adoptee), but there’s good Korean eats in the area. Hoban is a popular Korean restaurant, and Dong Yang’s oriental food in Fridley has some great food they cook up in the store.
Yes, my wife is Korean so I already eat plenty of Korean but thanks for the heads up.:)

Spent a few days there last summer in the North Loop, walked everywhere with my family and had 0 issues. Go check out Surly Brewing for good eats and great beers. In the summer Minnehaha Falls is a popular stroll, walk around the river and the old mills. Hit up the sculpture gardens.

Ultimately don’t listen to these scared old pansies, for some reason they shrivel up and cry anytime they see someone wearing a hoodie or who looks different than them.
Surly is a good recommendation, the sculpture gardens are good if you’re into that stuff… I’m uncultured, so it was pretty ho hum for me.

We used to go up once a year for a Twins game, stay downtown and hit several restaurants. No more until they hire a bunch of cops and change the way they’re dealing with criminals.
Exactly right man. I was looking over me shoulder half the time.

We've decided we're going there for vacay in Sept. Cabin on a lake, kayaking, mtn bike, hike.....we'll be bringing our bikes but will leave the kayak at home and rent on there. Suggestions welcome for said lake with said cabin....we're all ears. Juat started looking.

We've decided we're going there for vacay in Sept. Cabin on a lake, kayaking, mtn bike, hike.....we'll be bringing our bikes but will leave the kayak at home and rent on there. Suggestions welcome for said lake with said cabin....we're all ears. Juat started looking.
Go early in September, can cool off a bunch by end of September.

By mountain biking I would assume you want unpaved trails? That would probably put you in the northern 1/3 of the state. Really depends on how far you want to drive. MN is a big state.

Go early in September, can cool off a bunch by end of September.

By mountain biking I would assume you want unpaved trails? That would probably put you in the northern 1/3 of the state. Really depends on how far you want to drive. MN is a big state.

Thank you. 2nd week of Sept is the goal. Tricky line to walk wanting to he dun with the bugs and wanting warm(ish) weather. We're open to the whole state...we've never been so I know less than nothing about the place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT