ADVERTISEMENT

Miles can't get it done here...

College basketball is just like college football. Only the blueboods win NCAA championships. Do you guys really expect him to win the conference with MSU, Purdue, Maryland, Indiana in the conference?

Nebraska needs to focus on always being selected for post season tournaments.. With hopes to get hot in the Big tournament.
Ummmmm we won't sniff the postseason again.

Even doc and Barry could draw up a couple plays a game to get easy baskets. We get nothing easy in the half court.

Someone actually said we are good defensively? Seriously???? Failing to guard the guy with the ball on a screen and roll posession after posession, game after game is not good defense. Lol. What a joke. Someone has to be joking
This. Half of the team doesn't know what the eff they are doing on screen and roll defense. Miles needs to simplify it for these young kids because these guys can't figure out their assignments to save their life. Play the Pat Riley way, defend them the same way every time.

I don't expect us to be playing top tier basketball in year 4. And I think Miles should be given all 7 years of his contract. But it is disheartening to say the least, to see zero improvement in year 4. Zero. This is really bad basketball our team is playing right now.

I don't expect us to be playing top tier basketball in year 4. And I think Miles should be given all 7 years of his contract. But it is disheartening to say the least, to see zero improvement in year 4. Zero. This is really bad basketball our team is playing right now.
With better talent. Coach mo is supposed to be a defensive mastermind. Why outside of Benny does our defense suck? Replace him with a better offensive mind.

I'm intrigued by Roby, but I'm afraid Horne will be like Morrow, and will struggle when asked to guard BIG caliber 5s, when he should be guarding 4s.

If we are not going to move the ball, and don't have a couple unreal athletic 6'9" to 6' 10" guys, I see Nebraska still struggling.

At this point, I would take an Andrew Drevo and John Turek over shooting for the moon with some high upside post players who take a lot of time to develop and seldom pan out. He should follow the Rick Barnes and Bo Ryan plan and every two years recruit a big framed, physical 6'10" kid with good hands. That way you always have a "high floor" veteran player inside in case you're 6'10" unreal athletic kids do not pan out or you have trouble signing some.

Even doc and Barry could draw up a couple plays a game to get easy baskets. We get nothing easy in the half court.
You guys are completely clueless... If you want to argue about what Miles can and can't do fine, but this isn't one of them.

His biggest negative would be finding a consistency and sticking with it. Benny Parker had the best came of his life and we still got beat down the stretch. What does that tell you? Nebraska was 12/1 asst/TO ratio after the first half. The ball movement was there, and then he failed because Northwestern realized we are weak down low

Our 1st half was fantastic, but when you can't rebound you are going to lose games.

Can't draw up plays? What would you call the last play of the first half? If you don't pay attention to all the games then don't make bone head comments

Why all of the sudden do we think NU should be a basketball power. It was a fun run to go to the tourney, but having optimism at Nebraska for basketball is laughable. Tim Miles should just go to the 5 star recruits and tell them you guys are going to be the fab 5, and will all start.

I don't think anyone is thinking Nebraska will become a power over night, but turnarounds (from the abyss) do not happen overnight. And if you keep churning through coaches, it will never happen. If he can get as lucky as to land this A&M recruit in addition to the guys currently signed (including White, Watson, Morrow - adding Roby), there is more talent on the horizon then I've seen at Nebraska in years.

Is there a quick fix? Of course. Get a guy like Larry Brown, Pitino, Calipari (none of which would come here - but let's pretend) and they have some questionable recruiting practices but it gets quick results. Yes, it can happen. However, the other approach requires a lot of patience through tough times. This is one of those times and we all have to understand that it's not fun, it is maddening, frustrating, etc. - but this guy has simply turned it around everywhere he's been. That's called a track record. Give him time to do it here and then reap the benefits down the road.

I don't think anyone is thinking Nebraska will become a power over night, but turnarounds (from the abyss) do not happen overnight. And if you keep churning through coaches, it will never happen. If he can get as lucky as to land this A&M recruit in addition to the guys currently signed (including White, Watson, Morrow - adding Roby), there is more talent on the horizon then I've seen at Nebraska in years.

Is there a quick fix? Of course. Get a guy like Larry Brown, Pitino, Calipari (none of which would come here - but let's pretend) and they have some questionable recruiting practices but it gets quick results. Yes, it can happen. However, the other approach requires a lot of patience through tough times. This is one of those times and we all have to understand that it's not fun, it is maddening, frustrating, etc. - but this guy has simply turned it around everywhere he's been. That's called a track record. Give him time to do it here and then reap the benefits down the road.
Miles has never had to turn around a high major program...he is dealing with different types of athletes now and is facing far more tougher opponents and coaching staffs. How much time are you talking here? 5 more years? 10? You act as if it's a foregone conclusion that all we have to do is give him lots of time and he will turn Nebraska into a winning program. Our struggles run deeper than just "give him time." Miles may need to look in the mirror in the offseason and adjust his scheme and philosophy. Give him his 6th-7th year at Nebraska...if he can't get it done during that time period it's time to go in a different direction.

Why all of the sudden do we think NU should be a basketball power. It was a fun run to go to the tourney, but having optimism at Nebraska for basketball is laughable. Tim Miles should just go to the 5 star recruits and tell them you guys are going to be the fab 5, and will all start.
Who is expecting a basketball power? Is expecting just a solid well coached product on the court too much? If not...why the F are we spending so much on basketball and paying Miles 2 million per year if no expectations should come along with it? That thought may have worked in the past when we were paying our coach six figures and had some of the worst facilities...but times have changed. Losing 10 straight Big Ten games...12 straight road games...looking lost on both ends of the floor on any given night...losing to Samford....losing to IW is not going to cut it. Miles may not be fired after next year...but IMO we will have our answer whether or not he is the right coach for this program.

Miles took us to a tourney game so he obviously has a little bit of the goods. I do agree he needs to take a look back and see what made us successful that year, but I'd say give him a lot more time. I still continue to chuckle that people are all up in arms about basketball. We have never really been good, and now all of the sudden we act like we are owed tourney games every year and the best recruits just because we spent some money on great facilities.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love NU basketball to become somewhat relevant, but the task is going to be huge. There is no tradition and nothing in the past that would make recruits want to come here besides our good looking facilities. The talk of turning over a coach that took us to the dance already is hilarious.

Who is expecting a basketball power? Is expecting just a solid well coached product on the court too much? If not...why the F are we spending so much on basketball and paying Miles 2 million per year if no expectations should come along with it? That thought may have worked in the past when we were paying our coach six figures and had some of the worst facilities...but times have changed. Losing 10 straight Big Ten games...12 straight road games...looking lost on both ends of the floor on any given night...losing to Samford....losing to IW is not going to cut it. Miles may not be fired after next year...but IMO we will have our answer whether or not he is the right coach for this program.

Ok. Fire him... Get another no name coach and repeat. We have done this multiple times.. At this time Miles is probably our best bet imo. I don't disagree about the play right now, and that he needs to go back and find what made him successful two years ago, but come on. You can Miles we are going to continue down the same road. We aren't getting a big name, so we basically have to luck out on an up and comer.

Miles took us to a tourney game so he obviously has a little bit of the goods. I do agree he needs to take a look back and see what made us successful that year, but I'd say give him a lot more time. I still continue to chuckle that people are all up in arms about basketball. We have never really been good, and now all of the sudden we act like we are owed tourney games every year and the best recruits just because we spent some money on great facilities.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love NU basketball to become somewhat relevant, but the task is going to be huge. There is no tradition and nothing in the past that would make recruits want to come here besides our good looking facilities. The talk of turning over a coach that took us to the dance already is hilarious.
Actually, the majority of people are saying he needs more time. Nor do i see people saying its tournament or die every year. Not getting your ass kicked by Creighton every year, losing to teams you shouldn't, and looking lost on the court is a good start. Even more laughable than people expecting at the very least a solid product...is the people saying we should have zero expectations of a coach who is getting paid 2 million per year. Miles gets some leeway for taking us to the dance in year 2....and that might buy him an extra year or two. But, if we don't see improvement starting next year he won't be here much longer IMO. Finding a solid big man and actually filling out the roster for once in his tenure may be wise if he wants to stop losing 10 games in a row vs the Big Ten and 12 straight games on the road.

Ok. Fire him... Get another no name coach and repeat. We have done this multiple times.. At this time Miles is probably our best bet imo. I don't disagree about the play right now, and that he needs to go back and find what made him successful two years ago, but come on. You can Miles we are going to continue down the same road. We aren't getting a big name, so we basically have to luck out on an up and comer.
Nobody is saying fire him that I can see. In fact, I've said give him 2 to 3 more years after this year...if he can't get it done during that time period then yes...fire him. I really don't see how that is unreasonable. If we are willing to pay a coach 2 million per year plus our facilities the talent pool for coaches may be better than it was before.

Actually, the majority of people are saying he needs more time. Nor do i see people saying its tournament or die every year. Not getting your ass kicked by Creighton every year, losing to teams you shouldn't, and looking lost on the court is a good start. Even more laughable than people expecting at the very least a solid product...is the people saying we should have zero expectations of a coach who is getting paid 2 million per year. Miles gets some leeway for taking us to the dance in year 2....and that might buy him an extra year or two. But, if we don't see improvement starting next year he won't be here much longer IMO. Finding a solid big man and actually filling out the roster for once in his tenure may be wise if he wants to stop losing 10 games in a row vs the Big Ten and 12 straight games on the road.

I don't disagree, but it is going to be the same cycle. It's Nebrasketball and I don't see it changing. Hopefully Miles can recapture the magic of 2 years ago, but that was probably an anomaly.

Nobody is saying fire him that I can see. In fact, I've said give him 2 to 3 more years after this year...if he can't get it done during that time period then yes...fire him. I really don't see how that is unreasonable. If we are willing to pay a coach 2 million per year plus our facilities the talent pool for coaches may be better than it was before.

Exactly, I'm not asking to finish in the top 3 in one of the top 2 conference's in basketball all's you have to do is finish in the top half of your conference with above.500 record and that most likely gets you in the NCAA tournament.

He brought in a good class this year but he is missing a wide bodied big man or two if he wants to compete in this conference.2 Million is fair pay in this conference if not even more.

You guys are completely clueless... If you want to argue about what Miles can and can't do fine, but this isn't one of them.

His biggest negative would be finding a consistency and sticking with it. Benny Parker had the best came of his life and we still got beat down the stretch. What does that tell you? Nebraska was 12/1 asst/TO ratio after the first half. The ball movement was there, and then he failed because Northwestern realized we are weak down low

Our 1st half was fantastic, but when you can't rebound you are going to lose games.

Can't draw up plays? What would you call the last play of the first half? If you don't pay attention to all the games then don't make bone head comments

I hope he can draw up a play for the last few seconds of a half when you are limited by time. What about the following 20 minutes?

Reactions: cubsker
Miles needs to go learn Greg McDermott's offense, go learn Doc Sadler's defense, and replace Molinari with a dynamic recruiter. Throw a bunch of money at a guy like Justin Hutson from San Diego State and name him Associate Head Coach.

One McDonald's All American is all he needs. We need to do like everybody else in college sports and guarantee playing time in both football and basketball. That competition BS is for teams who aren't winning. The best go where they know they have a HUGE chance to play early.

One McDonald's All American is all he needs. We need to do like everybody else in college sports and guarantee playing time in both football and basketball. That competition BS is for teams who aren't winning. The best go where they know they have a HUGE chance to play early.
Any player worth his salt knows he can contribute right away at a place like Nebraska. Miles obviously has the most to recruit to of any coach in program history but you cannot deny that he is the best recruiter we have had in a long time when is the last time Nebraska basketball signed 2 top 100 players and a huge transfer in the same year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT