ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley...to New Orleans?

I agree, he's not going anywhere for several years. He just got here and hasn't had a chance to prove himself even a little but yet. Some of you guys have to accept this, it will make things a bit less stressful.

That's a comical list. Any NFL coaching list that doesn't have Adam Gase pretty high up isn't being realistic. ESPECIALLY one claiming to specialize in offensive minds.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
It's not uncommon in the NFL to see a coach that had a poor record with one team get another shot with a different team if the fit is right and especially if they are close with somebody involved with the second team. But after 13 years out of the league? Highly doubtful. I don't think it's anything more than a major longshot he'd even get an interview, let alone actually get offered the job.

Reactions: Blackshirt30
That's a comical list. Any NFL coaching list that doesn't have Adam Gase pretty high up isn't being realistic. ESPECIALLY one claiming to specialize in offensive minds.
If they are firing his father in law, I doubt that he would want to go there-- and as Harvey P taught us if the answer is no, then you're not actually a candidate.

Tom Herman is happy at UH. They are bringing in an unheard of recruiting class for a non power 5 school.

My guess is that the NFL may be his next stop versus another college gig. He has that it factor. No situation is too big for him. He is genuine and knows the importance of accountability and how to inspire. His power offensive would work in NFL.

You don't get rid of Sean Payton to hire a coach like Mike Riley.

But if it did happen for some inexplicable reason, we better throw $7 million at Chip Kelly. We'd be relevant again in 2 years.
If we can't throw that type of $ then NU will never win another NC again.

There is no reason why we shouldn't be enjoying a similar kind of success as Michigan is, the difference from one season to the next from both teams is striking and tells a story.

If Mike goes, I thank him but then I'm more excited about the future.

He did draft Brees when he was at SD. Never really got a shot to coach him. Oh, Please give him a shot NOLA, take them all but leave us the DR.

Yeah, that would be great, throw a couple years of recruiting classes down the toilet and win 5 games over the next 2 years. Sounds awesome.

Look I have been critical of Riley's record this year, his choice of defensive coordinator, and his recruiting to this point. However, it would be very harmful to the stability of our program if he were to leave now. It would destroy our recruiting for this year and rob the program of any sense that we are a destination job and not a stepping stone to better gigs.

Finally, for those on here hoping to see Riley go, has it escaped your notice that if a pro team really does hire Riley that it must mean they think he is one hell of a coach? And that is not the first time we have heard that. We have heard it from multiple sources.

Give Riley time to build and to show us what he can do here. Geez people

Tom Herman is happy at UH. They are bringing in an unheard of recruiting class for a non power 5 school.

My guess is that the NFL may be his next stop versus another college gig. He has that it factor. No situation is too big for him. He is genuine and knows the importance of accountability and how to inspire. His power offensive would work in NFL.
Tom_Michelle.jpg
Dont forget about her.

Look I have been critical of Riley's record this year, his choice of defensive coordinator, and his recruiting to this point. However, it would be very harmful to the stability of our program if he were to leave now. It would destroy our recruiting for this year and rob the program of any sense that we are a destination job and not a stepping stone to better gigs.

Finally, for those on here hoping to see Riley go, has it escaped your notice that if a pro team really does hire Riley that it must mean they think he is one hell of a coach? And that is not the first time we have heard that. We have heard it from multiple sources.

You think that he'd get the power with the Saints that he has at NU? The GM would never allow him to hire coach Cav or Banker, Langsdorf's role would be reduced. Obviously Riley is going no where. He puts his staff over the program and that crap doesn't fly in the NFL. He did it at OSU & is doing it here. His loyalties are to his guys and not to winning. He'd be forced to fire guys in the NFL. He'd never have the power to say any different.

There are no GM's in college football. Tolerance for losing in the NFL is slim to none. NFL is a $ game. You don't win, you lose the revenue and coaches are the first to be fired. You don't win at NU & we are still a top program in revenues, so it really doesn't matter much to the school. So don't get your panties in a bunch, this is all in good fun. I have a better shot at winning the lotto tonight then Riley does of being in NOLA in 2016.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
For those of you who want him gone, I'll simply ask this: Who do you think is out there that Nebraska is likely to get, that you'd be interested in? Please don't say Chip Kelly or Herman as they aren't going to Nebraska.

I'm happy with the direction of the team by the end of the year. I always said that it would be an ugly year as he had to change the culture dramatically from the previous staff. That doesn't go away overnight. I happen to think we have a very talented head coach who is bringing respect back to the program. I think he will continue to improve over the coming years and will actually set the program up for major success for the next staff that comes in (Frost??) Unlike the previous coaching staff who left the program on shaky grounds, yes, a program that won 9 games a year, but was nowhere near moving up to the next level.

Nonsense

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
For those of you who want him gone, I'll simply ask this: Who do you think is out there that Nebraska is likely to get, that you'd be interested in? Please don't say Chip Kelly or Herman as they aren't going to Nebraska.

I'm happy with the direction of the team by the end of the year. I always said that it would be an ugly year as he had to change the culture dramatically from the previous staff. That doesn't go away overnight. I happen to think we have a very talented head coach who is bringing respect back to the program. I think he will continue to improve over the coming years and will actually set the program up for major success for the next staff that comes in (Frost??) Unlike the previous coaching staff who left the program on shaky grounds, yes, a program that won 9 games a year, but was nowhere near moving up to the next level.

You said "I always said that it would be an ugly year as he had to change the culture dramatically from the previous staff. That doesn't go away overnight"

I agree with this but the problem is the culture from the previous staff was not the reason we had a losing season. The reason we had a losing season was trying to force a square peg into a round hole ie TA, poor clock management and bad defense for much of the season

My how far our program expectations have dropped - How do we know we could not get Kelly or Herman unless we really tried? and I dont mean just asking them I mean paying some major money

Last edited:
So if we're still tops in revenue, and the high revenue is creating program apathy/stagnation, then maybe we need to stop giving the program money. Isn't this the only logical way to show them that the fans value being successful?

I don't give a crap who or how long the coach is here, it's never OK that we have a losing record for our football team..

It makes my stomach turn to try and read the local hacks put a positive spin on NU's mens sports each day. What's that catch phrase, "denial ain't a river in Egypt...".

It's like the pendulum has completely swung the other way, instead of everybody over questioning every single thing in the Sadler/Pelini era, you're not allowed to even remotely question the even worse results with Miles/Riley. WTF? Sorry if that's a controversial statement and that you may not agree, however I refuse to lower my expectations and pretend that everything is going to elite again soon when we can't even have winning records.

GBR

It makes my stomach turn to try and read the local hacks put a positive spin on NU's mens sports each day. What's that catch phrase, "denial ain't a river in Egypt...".

I agree with most of your post generally, but I haven't seen the local media being overly positive at all. Other people think they're TOO negative haha. I think they've covered it pretty much normally.

So if we're still tops in revenue, and the high revenue is creating program apathy/stagnation, then maybe we need to stop giving the program money. Isn't this the only logical way to show them that the fans value being successful?

I don't give a crap who or how long the coach is here, it's never OK that we have a losing record for our football team..

It's like the pendulum has completely swung the other way, instead of everybody over questioning every single thing in the Sadler/Pelini era, you're not allowed to even remotely question the even worse results with Miles/Riley. WTF? Sorry if that's a controversial statement and that you may not agree, however I refuse to lower my expectations and pretend that everything is going to elite again soon when we can't even have winning records.

GBR
I agree in total with this. The NU AD is profitable when so many are not - facilities are top of the line all the infrastructure is in place yet the teams suck.

Before someone makes excuses due to location - Consider Creighton basketball out performs NU, Iowa just went to the Rose bowl, Wisconsin is not exactly a winter paradise

I say the missing component is leadership from the chancellor on down

I agree in total with this. The NU AD is profitable when so many are not - facilities are top of the line all the infrastructure is in place yet the teams suck.

Before someone makes excuses due to location - Consider Creighton basketball out performs NU, Iowa just went to the Rose bowl, Wisconsin is not exactly a winter paradise

I say the missing component is leadership from the chancellor on down

I believe the theme is that everything just needs time...

The next comments will be about how if we keep changing coaches then it will get worse and/or there aren't any viable candidates...

Wash/Rinse/Repeat

Another picture. I'm thinking this guy gets what he wants.
Held the Seminoles with their super back to 6 yards rushing in first half. #notjustoffense.
CXlRvNdWwAAqiK0.jpg

Another picture. I'm thinking this guy gets what he wants.
Held the Seminoles with their super back to 6 yards rushing in first half. #notjustoffense.
CXlRvNdWwAAqiK0.jpg
yea wisonsin is going after the houston dc

There is no reason why we shouldn't be enjoying a similar kind of success as Michigan is, the difference from one season to the next from both teams is striking and tells a story.

If Mike goes, I thank him but then I'm more excited about the future.
That idea TOTALLY ignores the recruiting classes that Michigan brought in over the past 5 years versus what Bo brought in. Michigan was near the top in recruiting year after year while we muddled along down in the pack. The only thing they lacked was a QB and he made Ruddock look serviceable. Unfortunately for them even Jimmy couldn't make him a playmaker in the biggest games. Yeah we could have won more games this year, but there is NO doubt that Michigan had more depth of talent to work with this year. Our linebacking and DE situation was a disaster. I seriously doubt that Michigan had near the number of minutes played by walkons that we did this year. On top of that, Harbaugh had his own questionable coaching moves that may have cost them a game. I'm happy riding with Riley until he's had a couple of years to prove his worth one way or another.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT