ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley Doesn't Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did call a running play. TA was supposed to run the ball. For some reason he decided to throw it. Beyond stupid.
I think it was another terrible play call. Even though everyone in the world thinks we're going to run(because we should) let's call a play that looks like a pass, it's blocked like a pass, has routes like pass, but it's a run. I honestly think it was supposed to be a run but it was just the cherry on the shit sunday that was yesterday. Run a dive. Run off tackle. Run another jet sweep. Nope, none of those are cute enough. Let's run a naked bootleg with our TE on the wrong side. The play call was beyond stupid

I think it was another terrible play call. Even though everyone in the world thinks we're going to run(because we should) let's call a play that looks like a pass, it's blocked like a pass, has routes like pass, but it's a run. I honestly think it was supposed to be a run but it was just the cherry on the shit sunday that was yesterday. Run a dive. Run off tackle. Run another jet sweep. Nope, none of those are cute enough. Let's run a naked bootleg with our TE on the wrong side. The play call was beyond stupid
I have no problem with the play call. The TE was supposed to go in motion & TA was supposed to run the ball. TA had a horrible game. Run the ball and don't risk a fumble by handing it off. All TA had to do was tuck & run.

His salary went from 1.5 million to 2.7 million right before retirement. He got to bring his buddy Banker too. There is no truly bad outcome for him here and accepting Eichorst's offer was a no-brainer.

The question that I can't answer is why Eichorst bet the farm on a 5-7 coach whose own fan base was unhappy. And we didn't interview anyone else?

I think all coaches deserve time (4 years at least, barring scandal). However, it's hard to be patient with the Riley era when you can look at his whole coaching career and see how this will go.

Finding your next great coach takes trial and error (see Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc). I still support firing Pelini but Riley seems like a waste of a hire.
It takes very little dissection to see that Eichorst is just one of the many people in a position of power based on very little merit. Dude doesn't have the first clue what he's doing.

Reactions: bigbadjim990
It takes very little dissection to see that Eichorst is just one of the many people in a position of power based on very little merit. Dude doesn't have the first clue what he's doing.

He knows what he is doing-he is doing what makes his boss happy. That is what got him this job. He got rid of BP. He got a nice guy for the right money. What else did Perlman want? Wins? Smart coaching?

With all due respect, this had zero to do with depth. The offensive game plan was complete crap. Everyone and their dog knew what the weather was going to be and we chucked it around like we were in a dome anyway. 10/31 105 yards?? Completely moronic especially after 7/16 in the first half. We HAD the lead for cripes sakes. RUN THE BALL!!! We should have thrown no more than 15 times all game. Illinois, with no running game, HAD to throw it. We didn't. Langsdorf went full-on Beck/Watson today in what should have been an easy win. It wasn't like we came back and then blew it at the end a la Miami, or there was some miracle play like BYU. Then we gifted them 55 seconds instead of 10-15 (at most) and they did what they needed to do to win the game. Hat's off to them.

I seriously question whether we have the coaches to do that at this point. It was an embarrassing display of game management (yet again) from a supposed staff of veterans. Hell, even Voldemoort would have done the right thing there. Very disappointed. They better start earning their pay soon during the games or the recruiting is going to get that much more difficult and those efforts will have been all for naught. At this pace they won't have to worry about it in 3-4 years. You have no idea how truly horrific a team Illinois is. Without some changes we are seriously staring last in the division in the face and it isn't blinking.
I get tired of people saying the only way you can be successful with the weather in the BIG is to run the ball. Super Bowls have been won in Green Bay, New York and other BIG areas by throwing the ball. You just have to have the right personnel. We need a Farve or a Rogers that's all! Seriously a balanced attack is needed as is a defense that is not 100th in the nation against the pass. Oh did the Huskers lose to another team that THREW the ball? Didn't think a passing attack could win in the BIG.

Let's see how we do on the scoreboard in the next couple years before crowing. I like Mike but we did lose a bunch of winnable games, even if he was working his tail off.

Not at all strange, but most of these clowns (Wasker, Clevinger etc) probably haven't been seen on the board since Oct 4. Or at least I haven't noticed them too much.

I get tired of people saying the only way you can be successful with the weather in the BIG is to run the ball. Super Bowls have been won in Green Bay, New York and other BIG areas by throwing the ball. You just have to have the right personnel. We need a Farve or a Rogers that's all! Seriously a balanced attack is needed as is a defense that is not 100th in the nation against the pass. Oh did the Huskers lose to another team that THREW the ball? Didn't think a passing attack could win in the BIG.

In a 100 years of football the team that has ran the ball better has usually won the championship. Now because we have a new coach that likes to throw the ball, passing is the key to winning a championship. When in our own history we destroyed pass first teams for championships. And some our best teams loss to teams with mobile QBs and or ran the ball well.

Seattle loss a Super Bowl because they thought they were smarter than everyone else and passed the ball, when all they had to do is run it. The patriots may have the best passing attack ever in 2007. And loss the game.

But I will say we need a defense before we can rely on that.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
In a 100 years of football the team that has ran the ball better has usually won the championship. Now because we have a new coach that likes to throw the ball, passing is the key to winning a championship. When in our own history we destroyed pass first teams for championships. And some our best teams loss to teams with mobile QBs and or ran the ball well.

Seattle loss a Super Bowl because they thought they were smarter than everyone else and passed the ball, when all they had to do is run it. The patriots may have the best passing attack ever in 2007. And loss the game.

But I will say we need a defense before we can rely on that.

Peelini teams ran the ball, a lot, what did that get us? Yep, 9 win seasons. It also got us embarrassment after embarrassment on national TV, no conference titles, no BCS bowl games, no top 10 finishes, one top 15 recruiting class, and a program in disarray.

Listen, I'm all for running the ball more as I believe it's important. However, you're not looking at our entire own history, Miami and Florida State liked to toss the rock and they destroyed the run first teams under Osborne, up till 1993. There's no guarantee running the ball more will get us a championship or back to the top 10. There's a good chance it'll happen but I'm all for doing whatever the hell it takes to get us there.

If that means tossing it 50 times in games, so be it. If that mean running it 50 times in games, so be it. This whole "we're Nebraska, we have to run the ball ___ amount of times every game or we're not going to win" act gets old and tired. It's a false sense of hope, there's no guarantees.

Peelini teams ran the ball, a lot, what did that get us? Yep, 9 win seasons. It also got us embarrassment after embarrassment on national TV, no conference titles, no BCS bowl games, no top 10 finishes, one top 15 recruiting class, and a program in disarray.

Listen, I'm all for running the ball more as I believe it's important. However, you're not looking at our entire own history, Miami and Florida State liked to toss the rock and they destroyed the run first teams under Osborne, up till 1993. There's no guarantee running the ball more will get us a championship or back to the top 10. There's a good chance it'll happen but I'm all for doing whatever the hell it takes to get us there.

If that means tossing it 50 times in games, so be it. If that mean running it 50 times in games, so be it. This whole "we're Nebraska, we have to run the ball ___ amount of times every game or we're not going to win" act gets old and tired. It's a false sense of hope, there's no guarantees.
I don't think it is so much looking back as it is looking at now. Riley made mention that he sees certain characteristics that teams that win it all have today. One of those is turnover margin and another is being able to run the ball. Now, I think shooting for a number of runs per game isn't the way to go as much as being able to express your will running the ball when need be.

Reactions: Soda Popinski
Looking back on stupid treads. How funny peoples thinking is when they don't know what the hell they are talking about in the first place.
"Ya Riley doesn't care" he has done more for the Huskers in a year than the Big Penguini did in 7, or should I have said he cleaned up Penguini's 7 year mess in 1 year.

Reactions: Crushinator

Exactly. We just need to have the talent, the best coached, the best training, the best prepared and the best adjustments made in game time. That's what wins championships. MR has stated that he wants a balanced attack. Somehow, posters get their panties all bunched up thinking that we need to have the exact same offense that TO ran. They forget that TO ran offenses that varied greatly. It wasn't until he recruited speed on defense that could stop the pass happy offenses that he got his own championships.

I don't think it is so much looking back as it is looking at now. Riley made mention that he sees certain characteristics that teams that win it all have today. One of those is turnover margin and another is being able to run the ball. Now, I think shooting for a number of runs per game isn't the way to go as much as being able to express your will running the ball when need be.

Watch out, 110% agree.

But that's not what majority of Husker Nation think.

Maybe that's what I am saying. We need to be able to run the ball when we need too. Not we should run every play.

This team looked good to me when we played physical. Meaning starting the game establishing the run.

In the 90's. I don't think we had the defense we needed to beat Miami and FSU more so than our offense. They stuffed us in 1994 as well. But we had a defense that was able to stuff them. And give us time for our offense line to wear them down. The performance of that D in 1994 against Miami was incredible after their last score.

I like the passing aspect of our offense. I just would rather be 55 to 45% ratio. if they are selling out to stop the run. Have the ability to beat them with the pass.

TBH I have no problem with our offense. Just would like to use the QB run more often.

But I do realize until we have a top notch D. We can't rely on the run the majority of the time. Every offense will struggle at times .

Great response post @HTO

Look at Ohio State. They do both; toss the ball around plenty (is it possible north of the Mason-Dixon?) and have a power run game. Is it because of the super-genius Bo Pelini created in Tim Beck? Maybe. Also it could be great recruiting, a good scheme and a great head coach.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Meyer's teams historically have not been great running teams prior to Elliot. In fact, that was one of the knocks on those great Gator teams with Tebow - despite having some great talent at RB, they lacked a bit in the running game, but generally made up for it with Tebow's ability to run. Yet no one will deny Meyer has been an incredibly successful coach, so you can be highly successful, and with longevity, without having a run-first mentality.

These teams we are mentioning have lower passes per game than we did last year. Anyone who can look at our losses last year and say we don't need to run more is crazy. Some of the best passing attacks in football averaged less throws per game than we did...in fact many of them did. Miami, Clemson, Oklahoma, usc, Florida state, Michigan, Louisville, Michigan state, penn state, Alabama, notre dame, Baylor Yes baylor, Oregon, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Ohio state, Lsu, auburn, Stanford to name a few. Not all those teams were great but most were good or are known for good passing attacks or pro prospect quarterbacks. In the Illinois, BYU, Iowa, and probably Purdue games we win if we run more. Riley seems to agree with some of this. I am sick of hearing that if we want to run it more it automatically means we want to return to the option and run it every play. No, I just think we should have an identity where we end up averaging 20-27 attempts per game instead of our current 35. Can't wait for next year I like the offseason so far.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Meyer's teams historically have not been great running teams prior to Elliot. In fact, that was one of the knocks on those great Gator teams with Tebow - despite having some great talent at RB, they lacked a bit in the running game, but generally made up for it with Tebow's ability to run. Yet no one will deny Meyer has been an incredibly successful coach, so you can be highly successful, and with longevity, without having a run-first mentality.
I'm thinking that running the ball might have been a better identity all along.

I'm thinking that running the ball might have been a better identity all along.

I think they tried but just couldn't make it work for whatever reason. I remember hearing chatter that Meyer's system wasn't that good for running the ball, and then there was a lot of hype around the transfer of Emmanuel Moody from USC because it was believed that might give them the jolt the running game needed, but he didn't help either.

"When Moody abruptly left USC in August because he was near the bottom of the Trojans' stockpile of running backs, he instantly was thought to be Florida's savior. The Gators won big during Meyer's first three seasons, but largely did so without productive tailbacks. Florida ranked 23rd nationally and third in the SEC in rushing with 200.15 yards per game last season. Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Tim Tebow led the Gators with 895 rushing yards and 23 touchdowns. Speedy receiver Percy Harvin was second with 764 rushing yards and six touchdowns." http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3337768

It will be interesting to see the identity of that offense going forward without Elliot.

You were right about that in reference to last season for the Huskers. Riley confirmed as much a few weeks ago when he basically said the same thing.

Looking back on stupid treads. How funny peoples thinking is when they don't know what the hell they are talking about in the first place.
"Ya Riley doesn't care" he has done more for the Huskers in a year than the Big Penguini did in 7, or should I have said he cleaned up Penguini's 7 year mess in 1 year.
Soooooo, you think the mess is all cleaned up now and we should have a good season next year? Define good season and it better be better than 9 or 10 wins because that wasn't enough for the BO Haters. We need to nail these things down because if Riley goes 7-5 or 8-4, are we then gonna say that BO messed this team up so bad it could take 3 or 4 years to fix.

Guess I'm just wondering when Riley & his staff get to take responsibility for their success or failure?

Soooooo, you think the mess is all cleaned up now and we should have a good season next year? Define good season and it better be better than 9 or 10 wins because that wasn't enough for the BO Haters. We need to nail these things down because if Riley goes 7-5 or 8-4, are we then gonna say that BO messed this team up so bad it could take 3 or 4 years to fix.

Guess I'm just wondering when Riley & his staff get to take responsibility for their success or failure?
What's this thread title again? I thought it was Mike Riley doesn't care... Which is laughable. Riley does care and wants to win.

To your point (which doesn't fit with this thread), we'll see if he improves as much as we hope on last year's record. But again, this is about if Riley cares or not... Do you think he cares or is he just collecting a paycheck?

I would say if you want to know when Riley and company take responsibility, maybe start a thread asking that... But it doesn't fit with this thread.

i'm hoping that during Riley's time here he's able to win something of substance. Something that neither of our previous two coaches were able to do during their time here.

What's this thread title again? I thought it was Mike Riley doesn't care... Which is laughable. Riley does care and wants to win.

To your point (which doesn't fit with this thread), we'll see if he improves as much as we hope on last year's record. But again, this is about if Riley cares or not... Do you think he cares or is he just collecting a paycheck?

I would say if you want to know when Riley and company take responsibility, maybe start a thread asking that... But it doesn't fit with this thread.
To be fair, it appears this thread was started after the Illinois loss when the team was 2-3 and would go on to be 2-4 the next week.

Bullshit. 9 or 10 was fine. Getting his ass embarassed by average teams, and trashing the program, fans, and state was not. Convenient how you pride-less bloners always forget that part.

To be fair, it appears this thread was started after the Illinois loss when the team was 2-3 and would go on to be 2-4 the next week.

The thread was about MR not caring about the program. It's now proven that he does care more than just his golden parachute. Whether that translates into more wins is debatable, but his passion is not.

Bullshit. 9 or 10 was fine. Getting his ass embarassed by average teams, and trashing the program, fans, and state was not. Convenient how you pride-less bloners always forget that part.
Now 9 or 10 wins is fine? No...championships are fine.

Oh, I think Mike Riley wants to win. I do question the extent/drive of Riley's desire to win. It's in our best interests that he does win. I don't see him having a Jim Harbaugh extreme desire to win. Before anyone goes off tangent on Harbaugh, I am specifically talking about Harbaugh's DESIRE TO WIN, not his nutso personality.

My opinion, that which is comfortable suits Mike Riley.

You're wasting time, @meo1960 is a known Peelini hack.

Reactions: timnsun
This thread is awesome. Aren't we supposed to leave poor Blo-rittany alone? Once again the blotards drag him in.

Reorganizing the recruiting staff, promoting from within, hiring from the outside a "new position" along with firing a coach after 1 season isn't enough for you to understand someone's desire to win, nothing will.
He needs Riley to tell him he is a piece of shit, the program, town, and state are all terrible. Then he will be sure of Riley's "will to win"

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
These teams we are mentioning have lower passes per game than we did last year. Anyone who can look at our losses last year and say we don't need to run more is crazy. Some of the best passing attacks in football averaged less throws per game than we did...in fact many of them did. Miami, Clemson, Oklahoma, usc, Florida state, Michigan, Louisville, Michigan state, penn state, Alabama, notre dame, Baylor Yes baylor, Oregon, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Ohio state, Lsu, auburn, Stanford to name a few. Not all those teams were great but most were good or are known for good passing attacks or pro prospect quarterbacks. In the Illinois, BYU, Iowa, and probably Purdue games we win if we run more. Riley seems to agree with some of this. I am sick of hearing that if we want to run it more it automatically means we want to return to the option and run it every play. No, I just think we should have an identity where we end up averaging 20-27 attempts per game instead of our current 35. Can't wait for next year I like the offseason so far.
We were constantly playing from behind because our defense struggled mightily. That changes what an offensive coordinator calls.

There's no question that there were times last year where I thought we needed to run the ball more (Illinois and Purdue specifically). My point was that the people that claim Nebraska (or any team north of Florida) can only win if it runs the ball 70% of the time are wrong.

These are the same people that use terms like "west coast offense" instead of "pro style offense" because the latter reminds everybody of evil Bill Callahan. They're afraid of change and don't understand that changing passing schemes doesn't mean we can't still have a power run game. They're not mutually exclusive. We can have both but we have to improve our o-line recruiting and develop players to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT