ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Riley Doesn't Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
His salary went from 1.5 million to 2.7 million right before retirement. He got to bring his buddy Banker too. There is no truly bad outcome for him here and accepting Eichorst's offer was a no-brainer.

The question that I can't answer is why Eichorst bet the farm on a 5-7 coach whose own fan base was unhappy. And we didn't interview anyone else?

I think all coaches deserve time (4 years at least, barring scandal). However, it's hard to be patient with the Riley era when you can look at his whole coaching career and see how this will go.

Finding your next great coach takes trial and error (see Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc). I still support firing Pelini but Riley seems like a waste of a hire.

Good god people, TO couldn't win with this shit depth. Give the man a chance to recruit a class. Our fan base is a disgrace right now. If we are bad in yr 3-4 I will be there with you but damn. Dumb players equals loses.
If the AD lets this go on for another 3 or 4 years this program will never recover.

Good god people, TO couldn't win with this shit depth. Give the man a chance to recruit a class. Our fan base is a disgrace right now. If we are bad in yr 3-4 I will be there with you but damn. Dumb players equals loses.

You want to go through 3-4 more years of this agony? He coached this way at Corvallis and he will continue to coach this way in Lincoln. Nice guy plus more money does not equal a better coach.

Reactions: meo1960

With all due respect, this had zero to do with depth. The offensive game plan was complete crap. Everyone and their dog knew what the weather was going to be and we chucked it around like we were in a dome anyway. 10/31 105 yards?? Completely moronic especially after 7/16 in the first half. We HAD the lead for cripes sakes. RUN THE BALL!!! We should have thrown no more than 15 times all game. Illinois, with no running game, HAD to throw it. We didn't. Langsdorf went full-on Beck/Watson today in what should have been an easy win. It wasn't like we came back and then blew it at the end a la Miami, or there was some miracle play like BYU. Then we gifted them 55 seconds instead of 10-15 (at most) and they did what they needed to do to win the game. Hat's off to them.

I seriously question whether we have the coaches to do that at this point. It was an embarrassing display of game management (yet again) from a supposed staff of veterans. Hell, even Voldemoort would have done the right thing there. Very disappointed. They better start earning their pay soon during the games or the recruiting is going to get that much more difficult and those efforts will have been all for naught. At this pace they won't have to worry about it in 3-4 years. You have no idea how truly horrific a team Illinois is. Without some changes we are seriously staring last in the division in the face and it isn't blinking.

wrong! wrong! wrong!

His salary went from 1.5 million to 2.7 million right before retirement. He got to bring his buddy Banker too. There is no truly bad outcome for him here and accepting Eichorst's offer was a no-brainer.

The question that I can't answer is why Eichorst bet the farm on a 5-7 coach whose own fan base was unhappy. And we didn't interview anyone else?

I think all coaches deserve time (4 years at least, barring scandal). However, it's hard to be patient with the Riley era when you can look at his whole coaching career and see how this will go.

Finding your next great coach takes trial and error (see Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, etc). I still support firing Pelini but Riley seems like a waste of a hire.

We should be 4-1, but for 2 miracle final minutes....and could be 5-0 easily as well. Things don't always work out. Remember, there are many pro-Pelini kids in the locker room who are likely giving a half ass effort. Alex Lewis is obviously a fungus.

We lost to a bad team that replaced their head coach 1 week before the season because he was abusive to the players. My goodness.

Give him a chance., he inherited a shit hole and you blame MR you are an idiot.
I get it...you're joking to lighten up the mood after one of the most embarrassing losses in Husker history. Thanks for the laughCool.

We should be 4-1, but for 2 miracle final minutes....and could be 5-0 easily as well. Things don't always work out. Remember, there are many pro-Pelini kids in the locker room who are likely giving a half ass effort. Alex Lewis is obviously a fungus.

No doubt the lazy recruiting and crap culture of the Pelini era is hurting. Again, I'm glad he's gone.

Just saying Riley is a puzzling hire to say the least.

Reactions: SCHS21
wrong! wrong! wrong!
Some people like to think they are smarter than everyone else. The idea that our players on par with the Illini is only trying to make us out to be a dumpster fire to satisfy their agenda of protecting these coaches from criticism.

Reactions: meo1960
Wow. I didn't think the ignorance of the coaching staff could be surpassed until I read your posts. Let me ask you this, how good to you think the recruiting class will be if we go 4-8?

Some people like to think they are smarter than everyone else. The idea that our players on par with the Illini is only trying to make us out to be a dumpster fire to satisfy their agenda of protecting these coaches from criticism.

Name a non-DT on the defense who will positively be drafted. There isn't one. Dedrick is still Young. He might by the end.

No, Illinois' interim coach inherited a shit-hole. That program was a disaster a month ago, and even 2 weeks ago got destroyed by a mediocre North Carolina team that ran all over them.

You can't possibly blame our horrible game plan, play-calling, and clock management on the previous staff.

Just is just plain asinine! What about the season suggests this coaching staff is competent. Nice game management. A 3rd grader could have done better.

I'm all about MR. I liked the hire from the start, and I'm trying like hell to stay true. But as thin as we are there is no reason to lose to Illinois. I have 2 cousins that went to Illinois and they are laughing. The exact text I got was, "What the hell, cuz, we suck! What's wrong with you guys?" On top of that, went to dinner with a friend who is a KU fan, and he basically said the same." This is a bad loss no matter what our roster looks like. Our 2nd team should be able to beat Illinois and we can't move the ball enough in the second half to score more than 3??? I'm sorry, but this coaching staff better so me something over the next 9-12 months to make me belive in them again, because regardless of the "we have injuries, we lack depth, it's not Riley's guys," etc, a good coach won't lose to teams like Illinois even with the talent we have on hand. Harbaugh isn't losing at Michigan even though it's not "his guys." I've given MR the benefit of the doubt and will continue to do so for the rest of this season and the next, but regardless of whether he has "his guys" or not, we're better than the likes of Illinois. And a loss like this unacceptable by any measure.

With all due respect, this had zero to do with depth. The offensive game plan was complete crap. Everyone and their dog knew what the weather was going to be and we chucked it around like we were in a dome anyway. 10/31 105 yards?? Completely moronic especially after 7/16 in the first half. We HAD the lead for cripes sakes. RUN THE BALL!!! We should have thrown no more than 15 times all game. Illinois, with no running game, HAD to throw it. We didn't. Langsdorf went full-on Beck/Watson today in what should have been an easy win. It wasn't like we came back and then blew it at the end a la Miami, or there was some miracle play like BYU. Then we gifted them 55 seconds instead of 10-15 (at most) and they did what they needed to do to win the game. Hat's off to them.

I seriously question whether we have the coaches to do that at this point. It was an embarrassing display of game management (yet again) from a supposed staff of veterans. Hell, even Voldemoort would have done the right thing there. Very disappointed. They better start earning their pay soon during the games or the recruiting is going to get that much more difficult and those efforts will have been all for naught. At this pace they won't have to worry about it in 3-4 years. You have no idea how truly horrific a team Illinois is. Without some changes we are seriously staring last in the division in the face and it isn't blinking.

I want to disagree, but I can't.

Last week you claimed he doesn't mind losing, and this week you claim he doesn't care at all. What will it be next week? Mike Riley hates Nebraska?

Reactions: MKrip

You sound serious. Wow!!! At the end of the season, when we are left entirely out of the bowl picture, I look forward to your "We could easily be 12-0". Koolaid Baby!!!

100 percent correct!!! Coaching incompetence. Husker fans are too football savvy for this to wash for any length of time. Also love our level of passion. My God, they are nearly asleep out there.

He cares. How can you think he doesn't care. This is kinda of big deal and his name is on it.

Of course MR cares and he is very competitive but he is also very loyal and this and his inability to stay up with how the game is changing will bring him down and that is a travesty. Banker has scheme that will stop the run but will give it away with the pass and lack of pressure on the Qb but Mike will never let him or the special teams coach go. I really feel for Mike right now but don't be surprised if you win a few games that you are not supposed to wn.

Riley cares, that is for sure.
But man, you honestly lost all credibility you had left with this post. You know NOTHING about football if you seriously blame this loss on depth. The depth issues are on defense and our defense did NOT lose us this game. Secondly, it is fricking ILLINOIS. You are no better than any Blohard who wouldn't hold him accountable for his crappy teams. You know what's a disgrace? Losing to Illinois in a game like this that we should have easily won.
I'm not saying fire Riley, but I'm also not dumb enough to let this slide. YOU are what's wrong with Nebraska right now.

So you think we have illinois level talent?

So you think we have illinois level talent?
From what I saw on the field today, I would say these teams were very evenly matched talent wise. I will agree that Riley and Co. should be ashamed of how they coached today but as Bob Devaney said " I ain't ever seen no jockey win a horse race." If you're playing a bunch of freshman and walk ons you're going to struggle, period.

From what I saw on the field today, I would say these teams were very evenly matched talent wise. I will agree that Riley and Co. should be ashamed of how they coached today but as Bob Devaney said " I ain't ever seen no jockey win a horse race." If you're playing a bunch of freshman and walk ons you're going to struggle, period.
Please name the freshmen and walk-ons who lost us the game today. Be specific. I'm honestly curious not trying to be a smart-ass.

Illinois was without one of their best WRs, their Top 3 TEs, and their RB went out injured for the last 3 quarters of the game. Their leading tackler is a walk-on NAIA transfer. They are not as talented as us.

I still support Mike Riley.
and...
This level of straight up stupid needs to get fixed NOW!
We have so many problems that have been inherited from the old staff! Why would you compound that by trying to get cute? Right now we don't need cute... we need smart. And you run the ball on third down and keep the clock running. You don't run a play that has a chance to stop the clock. You've already lost the BYU game because of poor clock management. Why risk it again by calling any play that requires a decision to be made. Hand the ball off to Andy and leave that stadium with a win just like you were doing! I still can't believe what happened???

He cares. How can you think he doesn't care. This is kinda of big deal and his name is on it.

If he really cared he would have made major staff changes upon arriving here.

Last week you claimed he doesn't mind losing, and this week you claim he doesn't care at all. What will it be next week? Mike Riley hates Nebraska?

If he loses next week it will be "Mike Riley played Nebraska for suckers."

The bigger concern here guys is what go the players think?

How do the feel?

As much as we all hate the situation and want blame someone , if the players start feeling that way Riley's and his staff may very well lose this team . That my friends will be worse than any loss , moral and belief in who we are and the situation we are in are all any of us have.

Take that away and nothing but bad can come it. many examples of what were once considered great leaders who lost their flock abound

Last edited:
Riley never recruited well at OSU. Now he is a 62 y/o "Weekend at Bernie's" on the sidelines. Is he gonna recruit better here just because "it's Nebraska"?

I still support Mike Riley.
and...
This level of straight up stupid needs to get fixed NOW!
We have so many problems that have been inherited from the old staff! Why would you compound that by trying to get cute? Right now we don't need cute... we need smart. And you run the ball on third down and keep the clock running. You don't run a play that has a chance to stop the clock. You've already lost the BYU game because of poor clock management. Why risk it again by calling any play that requires a decision to be made. Hand the ball off to Andy and leave that stadium with a win just like you were doing! I still can't believe what happened???
They did call a running play. TA was supposed to run the ball. For some reason he decided to throw it. Beyond stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT